Random Thoughts.....

I'm 51 now and 6 yrs into raising a couple more (6 and 8). I'm gonna die on a construction site.

BUT I know those 2 little girls are safe and loved and while I'm still kicking nobody will ever hurt them again
to hell with that! :D

I turn 50 this year and as mentioned earlier, my third/youngest just started driving. I couldn't imagine "starting" now.o_O

We basically got them when my "little one" was about 4 months. She ended up in the hospital at 2 months with a fractured skull. So I'll do whatever I need to from now til death for them. Or until I can't stand putting up with a couple teenagers. Lol

man so much joy, so much stress...and so much pain.

The bad things to look forward to...
The first time a boy breaks her heart.
The first time she drives away and you realize you have zero (illusion of) control over her survival.
That first night in an empty house with no kiddos.
Seeing them laying hurting on a field or court from a sports injury... if they play you will experience it to some level.
Looking at the love of your life and realizing 20 years later that you are "just" husband and wife - and not really "mom and dad" anymore....

The good...
Hearing your kids say how proud they are OF you.
Seeing your kids smile or cry because you say how proud you are of them.
Hearing your daughter say she keeps rejecting/dumping boys because they don't treat her like you treat her mom.
Being able to hang out with an adult that gets you on a level unimaginable.
Feeling humbled by the person your kids are - and just hoping you are as good of a person as they are...much less what they see you as.

Just a quick list...

Seeing them laying hurting on a field or court from a sports injury... if they play you will experience it to some level.
My youngest runs track (ref. Proud Parent thread). and her VERY first race in a meet her Freshman year, she ran the 200. She was 3-4 strides ahead of everyone and leaned too soon at the end and ATE IT 3-4 meters from the finish line. the entire crowd did the "OOOOOOOO". I felt so bad for her, but she popped up and finished the race like it didn't happen and still finished 3rd. That was a whirlwind of emotions.

Is that MY kid in first?!
Is she really that far ahead?!
HOLY SHIT she's cruising
OH SHIT she fell!
Did it hurt?
is she ok
GET UP!
DAMN she still beat 5 other kids! :D

At least when you hit your 50's you get to look forward to retirement.

When I hit fifty I'm thinking I got two years to out live my father. The closer it gets the more it gets to me. Scared and thankful I've got this far. But every thought makes me realize so many folks don't live like tomorrow isn't promised. Me included at times.

Worry is a waste of imagination.
This is really poignant.

YUP! Turned 50 recently, and I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.
You're supposed to be ASLEEP during the colonoscopy 🧐

Never realized there were so many of us within a year or two of one another 🤔

You're supposed to be ASLEEP during the colonoscopy 🧐

Never realized there were so many of us within a year or two of one another 🤔
I need to schedule that, LOL. I keep getting reminders from my doctor's office.

man so much joy, so much stress...and so much pain.

The bad things to look forward to...
The first time a boy breaks her heart.
The first time she drives away and you realize you have zero (illusion of) control over her survival.
That first night in an empty house with no kiddos.
Looking at the love of your life and realizing 20 years later that you are "just" husband and wife - and not really "mom and dad" anymore....

The good...
Hearing your kids say how proud they are OF you.
Seeing your kids smile or cry because you say how proud you are of them.
Hearing your daughter say she keeps rejecting/dumping boys because they don't treat her like you treat her mom.
Being able to hang out with an adult that gets you on a level unimaginable.
Feeling humbled by the person your kids are - and just hoping you are as good of a person as they are...much less what they see you as.

Just a quick list...
I have experienced the injury part. (non sports related) Calvary broke her leg when she was 14 months old. but thats it so far...

As far as the good... oh man! My daughter is really starting to be able to read and the other night she was doing her homework and I was helping her and she as reading these sentences that had words she hasn't seen yet or didn't know and she sounded them out and got every word without any help and I just sat there and smiled at her and told her how proud i was of her, but I really meant it when I said it and she turned red and sort of looked at me and I could tell she really felt like I was indeed proud of her and her WHOLE attitude changed and was excited to finish her homework and read more.

Hush now, the adults are talking 😘
I think you mean
1710451554333.png

If you see a person standing in their driveway, having a conversation on the phone, you shouldn’t walk over and interrupt them to ask what type of protein they like. In some societies that might be considered rude.
Sorry man, I thought you were at the gym.

Going through old photos in a box from Grandma. Without thinking I tried to use my thumb and index finger to zoom in on a picture.

:rolleyes:
I've found something that's almost as good, and that's pulling out my handy Streamlight so I can actually see the detail. My eyes are still great, but I always seem to be looking at dark pictures in dimly lit rooms, and the extra bit of light really helps.

Back