Random Thoughts.....

Call it coincidence, I come back to NY and the weather gets nice. I leave Friday and it goes shit again Saturday

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Wife said she wanted gyros for dinner tonight. I love Mediterranean food, and thought gyros were a wonderful idea. Then got to thinking we don't eat enough gyros. An hour later, I have a 40lb gyro cone and a $600 gyro rotisserie coming my way. I won't say I regret the decision, but I will say it got out of hand, rather quickly.
I'm Greek and I condone this behavior.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Wife said she wanted gyros for dinner tonight. I love Mediterranean food, and thought gyros were a wonderful idea. Then got to thinking we don't eat enough gyros. An hour later, I have a 40lb gyro cone and a $600 gyro rotisserie coming my way. I won't say I regret the decision, but I will say it got out of hand, rather quickly.
and, this, in conjunction with the $3k couch thing, tells me that you make too damn much money, and we have some entertaining stories ahead once the realities of parenthood settle in

and, this, in conjunction with the $3k couch thing, tells me that you make too damn much money, and we have some entertaining stories ahead once the realities of parenthood settle in

Work hard play hard. I know kids are holy terrors. I'm one of 5, have as many nieces and nephews, run the under 5 center at church and coach elementary to high schoolers. I paid the $3k for a couch so when a baby shits or pukes on it, it'll just wipe off. Or when 5 kids are jumping on it, it doesn't crumble. Having grown up extremely poor myself, I remember the disappointment of getting the knock off whatchamacallit and it not lasting...I always vowed my kid(s) would get what they need, if I could afford it, and it would be quality. I'm not trying to be naive here, but I'm not gonna cry over spilled milk if/when something breaks/is ruined. Share my good fortune and whatnot. It's just stuff.

Work hard play hard. I know kids are holy terrors. I'm one of 5, have as many nieces and nephews, run the under 5 center at church and coach elementary to high schoolers. I paid the $3k for a couch so when a baby shits or pukes on it, it'll just wipe off. Or when 5 kids are jumping on it, it doesn't crumble. Having grown up extremely poor myself, I remember the disappointment of getting the knock off whatchamacallit and it not lasting...I always vowed my kid(s) would get what they need, if I could afford it, and it would be quality. I'm not trying to be naive here, but I'm not gonna cry over spilled milk if/when something breaks/is ruined. Share my good fortune and whatnot. It's just stuff.
Has anyone tried ass beatings? That will keep kids from tearing up furniture and save $2500.

There is no such thing as good furniture anymore.
Just isnt.
Ive tried.

Now we buy the $250 value city furniture couch. And we are so rich we replace it every. single. year.
In 12 years you and I will have the same invested in a couch. My wife will have been able to redecorate 12 times. And I will have had 12 tax deductions for donating a $3000 $250 couch. ;)

Just isnt.
Ive tried.

Now we buy the $250 value city furniture couch. And we are so rich we replace it every. single. year.
In 12 years you and I will have the same invested in a couch. My wife will have been able to redecorate 12 times. And I will have had 12 tax deductions for donating a $3000 $250 couch. ;)

Its a chore finding furniture that is even comfortable for more than a few minutes, where you aren't just inches off the floor and sunk back into nonsupporting nothingness.

Just isnt.
Ive tried.

We were looking a few years ago for new den furniture. Everywhere was junk and not just right. Got sick of looking. Was TV shopping at Best Buy one day and I say, look, they got couches! Found exactly what we were looking for and it was cheap enough and fairly well made.

Has anyone tried ass beatings? That will keep kids from tearing up furniture and save $2500.

But then you still won't have heated/cooled seats, overhead lighting, massaging seats and stain proof technology. I'm all for ass whoopings, but your logic is flawed in the sense, that's like telling anyone here, just stay off the skinny pedal and you won't tear up your rig.

Just isnt.
Ive tried.

You're shopping in the wrong places then. Most of our furniture is custom and hand built. That's you're problem, you're buying a lazy boy or cat napper off the rooms to go/value city showroom floor.

Cool story bruh...I guess I'm fortunate enough to do both if I wanted. This particular couch will be heading to the man cave or play room in the next month or so when we move in to the new house. I'll give Value City a look...

Last edited:
But then you still won't have heated/cooled seats, overhead lighting, massaging seats and stain proof technology. I'm all for ass whoopings, but your logic is flawed in the sense, that's like telling anyone here, just stay off the skinny pedal and you won't tear up your rig.

You're shopping in the wrong places then. Most of our furniture is custom and hand built. That's you're problem, you're buying a lazy boy or cat napper off the rooms to go/value city showroom floor.

Cool story bruh...I guess I'm fortunate enough to do both if I wanted. This particular couch will be heading to the man cave or play room in the next month or so when we move in to the new house. I'll give Value City a look...

I was shopping in High Point in the furniture district and being helped by a salesman in a damn tux.
Flip some of their couches over and tear off the fabric catcher and find particle board and made in china stamps.
Its the same imported garbage as the Ashley/Room2Go/Havertys/LazyBoy take your pick big boxes. They just put on an air or pretension and quadruple the price so the pseudo rich think they are better than everyone else when they spend 5x more for the same garbage. I went in prepared to spend 15-20k on a living room set for quality and left Value City having spent under 2k. Its not about being fortunate enough to be able to do both, its about not being stupid enough to do either.....

I dont want massages, air conditioners or heat in my couch. I want a solid piece of wood that holds up to some mass. My people aint a small herd. If the wife and I and the 2 kids sit on a couch there is damn close to 1,000 lbs on that bitch. I want something that will hold us the same in 25 years as it does today. My grandparents have a couch I have had new cushions put on 3 times for them. It will outlast all of us. The last time they re-floored the living room I think me, my son and my dad all threw our backs out lifting it. No exaggeation I bet this couch weighs north of 500lbs and has no movement, no recliners, just a big solid hunk of Oak or Hickory and some supportive springs.

So you want something sturdy, and to last 25 years, but went with Value City...something ain't adding up here. And again, you're shopping the wrong places...my furniture people will offer whatever structure I want, I could have even gotten a steel frame if I wanted, which I should have done, but decided against it. And they don't have to wear tuxes to try to impress me, I let the work speak for itself. Your preference in furniture is different than mine...cool. At the end of the day, I appreciate the concern with my finances, but I have them under control. However, I really don't give a rats ass what anyone says/thinks about how/what/when/why I spend my money, until someone besides me starts footing the bill.

Last edited:
I have a couch that the wife likes. It is comfortable and does not break when I sit on it. The end.

So you want something sturdy, and to last 25 years, but went with Value City...something ain't adding up here. And again, you're shopping the wrong places...my furniture people will offer whatever structure I want, I could have even gotten a steel frame if I wanted, which I should have done, but decided against it. And they don't have to wear tuxes to try to impress me, I let the work speak for itself. Your preference in furniture is different than mine...cool. At the end of the day, I appreciate the concern with my finances, but I have them under control. However, I really don't give a rats ass what anyone says/thinks about how/what/when/why I spend my money, until someone besides me starts footing the bill.

I'd love to site on your super couch and drink bourbon with ya. How bout dat.

Ron,

Find an older Bob Timberlake couch and recushion it and recover it however you want. We have one and it's at least 25 years old and still great. Cushion foam needs replacing again but the couch is freakin HEAVY and good and solid.

If you want bedroom furniture, find someone to make it for you. We had ours hand made up in PA and for less than what you will pay in the cheap furniture places for their top shelf stuff, we have quality furniture that was custom made how we wanted and will last a lifetime and retain its value.

It is called contractor PICK UP, not contractor PARKING. I was at the Home Depot yesterday buying some wood for my storage building. When I arrived, there were 6-8 trucks and vans PARKED in the contractor PICK UP area. Only one guy was loading. All the other vehicles were empty with no one around. About an hour later while I was loading, another guy pulls up in the PICK UP lane, locks his truck and goes inside. I guess you can't fix lazy.

Its a chore finding furniture that is even comfortable for more than a few minutes, where you aren't just inches off the floor and sunk back into nonsupporting nothingness.

Agreed. Im lucky to live in furniture row, as you can find older quality furniture cheap. Just have it re-covered/cusioned for your style and its good for another 20+ years.

I'm down...closing date 3/28, baby due 3/29, probably start moving 4/1, free bourbon and pizza and couch massages to anyone that helps pack.

I would try like hell to push that closing as soon as possible. From experience, that is going to bring a ton of anxiety on all parties. But your results may vary.

I would try like hell to push that closing as soon as possible. From experience, that is going to bring a ton of anxiety on all parties. But your results may vary.

I added a 3wk contingency. If the baby comes before, I'll push it back...if later, I'll close. Where I'm at now, it's cheap enough I can keep it for an extra month or two if need be.

It is called contractor PICK UP, not contractor PARKING. I was at the Home Depot yesterday buying some wood for my storage building. When I arrived, there were 6-8 trucks and vans PARKED in the contractor PICK UP area. Only one guy was loading. All the other vehicles were empty with no one around. About an hour later while I was loading, another guy pulls up in the PICK UP lane, locks his truck and goes inside. I guess you can't fix lazy.
They were probably Lowes employees. :)

Back