Recession coming?

Are any of you 'seeing' signs of a recession in your line of work? I'm not seeing it at my work. They are still trying to hire more people.
I've seen freight drop and freight rates drop starting in July. Kind of normal for things to slow in August and September though. This just seems like a lot more than normal.

Are any of you 'seeing' signs of a recession in your line of work? I'm not seeing it at my work. They are still trying to hire more people.

We have slowed down hiring (along with a lot of other tech companies), but no real signs of a recession in the business stance.

You could say that the opposite way also.

Did trump just ride the wave set by his predecessor?

Now anyone with a brain knows that Trump is no genius, or even close to 5th grade book smart....however he did light a fire under and encourage many people, including many small business owners. Sure, Trump was full of hot air and didn't really do much, but he was a great motivator and preaching 'America First' did have an impact. Most of us don't want illegals flooding in, China pushing us around, or being stuck in a middle east quagmire. Trump at least 'pushed back' on those things, called out the bad actors by name, and enticed American businesses to stay here to a point. I have to think those actions had a significant effect on the over all economy, more than just riding Obama's coattails. Until Covid......

They are the two sides of the same coin.

What was your % return under Obama vs Trump overall, not just the year on year.

You forget also under Trump how much was lost in that one year, you got a 22% return one year, but that is mostly because of the huge dip that also happened under his presidency.

Okay, lets compare Trump to Obama then. We will use the S&P 500 since that is what most are funds are indexed against. (basically the same growth in the market over the first 4 years)
View attachment 378329

So Obama over his first 4 years out performed Trump.

Obama well out preformed Bush.

View attachment 378330

FDT could be same in the same aspect.

Everybody is so short sighted.

Should we go farther back?

Bush vs Clinton

View attachment 378331

So for the past 30 years or so, which presidents has the stock market historically done better in? Republican or Democrat presidency.

We can even go back 75 years.

View attachment 378332

I don't like either party, they both suck and have downfalls, but historically the market actually does better with a democrat as president.
nice graphs.....post updates again in 2 years. This clown and has admin. are far from Obama.

Now anyone with a brain knows that Trump is no genius, or even close to 5th grade book smart....however he did light a fire under and encourage many people, including many small business owners. Sure, Trump was full of hot air and didn't really do much, but he was a great motivator and preaching 'America First' did have an impact. Most of us don't want illegals flooding in, China pushing us around, or being stuck in a middle east quagmire. Trump at least 'pushed back' on those things, called out the bad actors by name, and enticed American businesses to stay here to a point. I have to think those actions had a significant effect on the over all economy, more than just riding Obama's coattails. Until Covid......

I was just trying to show that there is no way to tell how much "coat tail" riding directly impacts the economy and market of any president.
nice graphs.....post updates again in 2 years. This clown and has admin. are far from Obama.

Never said he was great or good, or anything of the same.

You could say that the opposite way also.

Did trump just ride the wave set by his predecessor?
Despite the fact that Trump spent his whole campaign talking about what terrible shape we were in the Dow and economy were at an all time high when he took over.

There is a fascinating phenomenon here. Whether they do anything or not the belief that they are going to do something causes action or inaction.
It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in a lot of ways.

There is a fascinating phenomenon here. Whether they do anything or not the belief that they are going to do something causes action or inaction.
It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in a lot of ways.

Absolutely. Thats why Trump was a 'good' president. He spoke out against all types of crime that actively hurt the common man. He yelled at companies for sending more jobs overseas. He had energy. He said out loud what many think. He had no problem putting China and Mexico down. Sure, most of it was hot air, but the common man felt rejuvenated. The small biz man felt good about going to work everyday and doing his part to help America be the best it can be.

Same reason its crashing down now. We need a good negotiator and front man. We don't have one now. The sheep need something to believe in.

Absolutely. Thats why Trump was a 'good' president. He spoke out against all types of crime that actively hurt the common man. He yelled at companies for sending more jobs overseas. He had energy. He said out loud what many think. He had no problem putting China and Mexico down. Sure, most of it was hot air, but the common man felt rejuvenated. The small biz man felt good about going to work everyday and doing his part to help America be the best it can be.

Same reason its crashing down now. We need a good negotiator and front man. We don't have one now. The sheep need something to believe in.

So we aren't crashing because of global economics? Because of a war in the Ukraine causing energy and food supply issues? Because supply chain issues caused by a global pandemic?

If the president went out now and just huffed a bunch of hot air about all this stuff, things would get better again?

So we aren't crashing because of global economics? Because of a war in the Ukraine causing energy and food supply issues? Because supply chain issues caused by a global pandemic?

If the president went out now and just huffed a bunch of hot air about all this stuff, things would get better again?
Do you feel like the inflation reduction bill was something good to do with all the stuff that's currently going on? This guy seems to be making efforts to thwart the economy and the common man. Just a common man with a common opinion.

Of course the prez isn't a magic genie....and we do suffer at the ups and downs of global politics....

But how is this helping:
having a known corrupt son/brother constantly getting a free pass
hiring a 100% out of her/its league diversity checkbox for a press secretary and as VP
raising taxes and hiring 80,000 more IRS agents
encouraging illegal immigration
failing at reading the teleprompter, regularly
sending 80 billion dollars, weapons and our oil reserves to corrupt foreign countries
not actively speaking out against rising murder rates, not calling out immigration hypocrisy, and not advocating for a unified America.
'if you don't vote for me you ain't black'
We need someone to clap back at China and Russia and Mexico HARD.
Having a strong, America first president helps a ton, even he can't make all the policy decisions.

Do you feel like the inflation reduction bill was something good to do with all the stuff that's currently going on? This guy seems to be making efforts to thwart the economy and the common man. Just a common man with a common opinion.

Nope, like most bills that are passed its a bunch of worthless fluff that doesn't really do shit.

At least it helps bring some battery MFG to the US though! We can be happy about that right :dumbass:

But both sides spend stupid money on dumb shit every freaking year.

Of course the prez isn't a magic genie....and we do suffer at the ups and downs of global politics....

But how is this helping:
having a known corrupt son/brother constantly getting a free pass
hiring a 100% out of her/its league diversity checkbox for a press secretary and as VP
raising taxes and hiring 80,000 more IRS agents
encouraging illegal immigration
failing at reading the teleprompter, regularly
sending 80 billion dollars, weapons and our oil reserves to corrupt foreign countries
not actively speaking out against rising murder rates, not calling out immigration hypocrisy, and not advocating for a unified America.
'if you don't vote for me you ain't black'
We need someone to clap back at China and Russia and Mexico HARD.
Having a strong, America first president helps a ton, even he can't make all the policy decisions.

This is where its 2 sides of the same coin to me
-Trump University lawsuits
-Spending 15billion on a wall he promised we wouldn't pay for
-Trump nominating people like Scott Pruitt who was a previous coal lobbyier
-Various trump quotes about covid and other things that are just pure stupidity

My point is just both sides do some incredibly stupid shit that is downright idiotic that make you think how are they even in power

Not sure if it's a sign of recession, or just levling off. But we are seeing several big projects rolling back contract dates by 60-90 days because they are struggling to get funding.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Democrats aren't as historically terrible to the stock market as I thought...

My world is shook.

:p
I believe this is because each side has their preferred segments they prop up.
The S&P does a good cross sectional slice of enough industries to catch both waves.

I'll give an example that isn't data but is anecdotal.
Ive been in vertical construction my entire career. A "neighbor" like 3 houses down has been in road construction.
Every time a Dem is in office funds are funneled towards roads,bridges and government work. Republicans tend to favor private industry which leads to more vertical construction.

On the whole - the same amount of money has been spent and the S&P sees this as a a wash.
But....where are more people employed?
In my example vertical construction employs many more people than roads dollar for dollar.

I believe this is because each side has their preferred segments they prop up.
The S&P does a good cross sectional slice of enough industries to catch both waves.

I'll give an example that isn't data but is anecdotal.
Ive been in vertical construction my entire career. A "neighbor" like 3 houses down has been in road construction.
Every time a Dem is in office funds are funneled towards roads,bridges and government work. Republicans tend to favor private industry which leads to more vertical construction.

On the whole - the same amount of money has been spent and the S&P sees this as a a wash.
But....where are more people employed?
In my example vertical construction employs many more people than roads dollar for dollar.
Its weird being in research segment for the DoD.
Historically Repubs push for decreased spending overall, including research. But they favor the military, so there's a lot of breath holding but military R&D remains ok. Then Democrats are less military friendly, but more cognizant of the long-term value of basic research, so DoD budget shinks, we hold our breath, but the R&D segments are less hit. Its like the magic sweet spot where they cancel each other out.

Historically Repubs push for decreased spending overall, including research. But they favor the military, so there's a lot of breath holding but military R&D remains ok. Then Democrats are less military friendly, but more cognizant of the long-term value of basic research, so DoD budget shinks, we hold our breath, but the R&D segments are less hit. Its like the magic sweet spot where they cancel each other out.
And when we get Libertarians in there one day, they'll shrink your budget on both ends!

1660316598783.png

Last edited:
That's where I vote to be in R&D in any industry I'm in. I've noticed there is a much smaller swing in work reduction when in slow times. You HAVE to keep up with growing trends to stay relevant.

Inflation cost the typical American household over $700 last month, according to a Wednesday analysis from Republican members of the Joint Committee on Taxation.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, year-over-year inflation reached 8.5% in July, with the slight moderation from the 9.1% reading in June driven by lower prices at the pump — even as prices for food, new vehicles, medical care, and shelter continued to rise.

The lawmakers’ State Inflation Tracker — which uses January 2021 as a benchmark month — determined that inflation cost average American households $717 in July 2022 alone. Even if prices stop increasing altogether, inflation will cost Americans $8,607 from August 2022 through July 2023.

“Americans are facing the highest inflation rates in decades, making it harder for them to afford everyday goods and more expensive to raise their families,” the analysis said.

Inflation cost the typical American household over $700 last month, according to a Wednesday analysis from Republican members of the Joint Committee on Taxation.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, year-over-year inflation reached 8.5% in July, with the slight moderation from the 9.1% reading in June driven by lower prices at the pump — even as prices for food, new vehicles, medical care, and shelter continued to rise.

The lawmakers’ State Inflation Tracker — which uses January 2021 as a benchmark month — determined that inflation cost average American households $717 in July 2022 alone. Even if prices stop increasing altogether, inflation will cost Americans $8,607 from August 2022 through July 2023.

“Americans are facing the highest inflation rates in decades, making it harder for them to afford everyday goods and more expensive to raise their families,” the analysis said.

Eh, it's be fine, I'm sure all employers will just raise wages by >8.5% immediately and it wil lall wash out... right?

Starting with yours, right?

Duane
damn I wish. My employer is the one who defined it as 8% but also that COLA should only be 4.5%

Back