Recession coming?

Are they poor because they keep buying cheap things that don't last and they have to buy another?
Throw in the fact that they are buying crap instead of necessities, and you're getting close..
Keeping the money and production in country actually reduces inflation, so long as the rest of the world percieves your products and dollars as valuable.
Perceiving our products and dollars are of adequate value here and on the international market is an issue. As you mentioned, I've been guilty of buying a Chinese made product (front bumper) that may not be a Tera flex work of art, but at 25% of the cost it has clean welds, holds my winch, and has been doing great on my Jeep.

I might be in the small minority here, and I'm putting my flame suit on, but can someone explain the overall problem we're solving here?

The market is global. The USA is a dominant power, but we can't change that. The recent war in Ukraine has exposed some national and international supply and resource concerns. But just like the COVID pandemic, this is a major world event. We're talking about a major land war involving large international market nations. I'd expect some turbulence.

We probably want to assess some of our most critical industries, resources, transportation networks, etc. Recognize the gaps and risks, and be honest with solutions. But by and large, our system is currently working.

Sure, I'd like to slap the next guy who outsourced customer support to an Indian call center or outsources production to a shit location but still charges a high price. But there is a slow but simple solution. Don't use those companies, teach your kids not to use them, tell your friends as well. That's about all you can do. I still have faith in a free market. As for trade agreements, I only expect the government to work to make a level playing field in our markets.

We need instagram / tiktok influencers / movie stars to shift people's mind towards buying american again.

This is how you change peoples point of view.

Tell me I'm wrong !
You're wrong. 😘

Big picture, that shit only makes something "viral" for a month TOPS. The attention span of the twats that force the ship those platforms is shorter than Matt on his tiptoes trying to make the min height in the ferris wheel

If you WERE right, global warming would have been solved, minimum wage would be $22hr, and Hillary would have won

I agree.

We need instagram / tiktok influencers / movie stars to shift people's mind towards buying american again.

This is how you change peoples point of view.

Tell me I'm wrong !

PS: I'm aware how sad this may sound but I actually think it would work.
You're wrong.:DFor folks like me it would never work cause I never watch TV or listen to celebrities and I think influencers are the stupidest thing ever.BUT I probably wouldn't be the targeted audience either.

You don't need convincing either
obi wan kenobi these are not the droids youre looking for GIF by Star Wars

So, with respect to buying American rather than supporting our Chinese brethren, I do have a question. What has changed in the past 20-30 years that has caused american made goods to be so expensive? When i was in high school, i could go to Sears and buy made in America craftsman wrenches on money that i made at my minimum wage after school job. Now, you literally have to pay hundreds of dollars for a set of american made combination wrenches. Was the labor market in the US really that different then? I get that china and all these other countries were/are able to undercut us due to their 3rd world labor rates and unsafe work practices. etc, but it just seems like the price of American has also skyrocketed during that same time frame?

So, with respect to buying American rather than supporting our Chinese brethren, I do have a question. What has changed in the past 20-30 years that has caused american made goods to be so expensive? When i was in high school, i could go to Sears and buy made in America craftsman wrenches on money that i made at my minimum wage after school job. Now, you literally have to pay hundreds of dollars for a set of american made combination wrenches. Was the labor market in the US really that different then? I get that china and all these other countries were/are able to undercut us due to their 3rd world labor rates and unsafe work practices. etc, but it just seems like the price of American has also skyrocketed during that same time frame?
maybe a couple of mid-first cup of morning coffee thoughts:
-20 yrs ago everyone was getting brow beat that they HAD to attend a higher learning facility
- that didn’t work out for a massive amount of folks
- huge college debt
- 07-08 economic shit hole= gov co pissing away MASSIVE amounts of money they don’t have to do bailouts = more want from public wanting more govtitty juice= more gov debt= tax
- demand for higher minimum wage
- more gov co oversight/ regulations / restrictions
- see also 2x 20 year wars causing a lot of companies able to sell super mediocre products at obscene prices to gov co and they got comfortable so now it’s stopped but they sure the hell aren’t gonna take a pay cut.
-list goes on

The ugly truth is:

Price is the only thing that matters to most consumers.

American companies do not always make a considerably better product. When they do, the cost difference is significant enough to cause a cost benefit analysis to streak through the brain to see if the cheaper product is “good enough”.

I don’t think there is a “solution” to bringing manufacturing back to the US that won’t lead to (relatively) short term pain that today’s instant gratification addicts would tolerate.

Dilution of the value of the dollar because there are so many of them (aka inflation), and also, because we don't make much in this country anymore, we don't have the resources in place to do it efficiently. To run with Southern Transplant's example...
As you mentioned, I've been guilty of buying a Chinese made product (front bumper) that may not be a Tera flex work of art, but at 25% of the cost it has clean welds, holds my winch, and has been doing great on my Jeep.

I might be in the small minority here, and I'm putting my flame suit on, but can someone explain the overall problem we're solving here?
I imagine that Chinese bumper is $400 and they make hundreds or thousands of them per month, in a factory where they also make them for a zillion other vehicles and companies, so it makes sense to invest in resources and equipment for mass production, and the machines, welders, and support equipment are also primarily made in China, and the knowledge to design and build this equipment is in China, and the raw material production is in China (or sold cheaply to China due to massive volume contracts). In the US, it is designed by some overpaid engineer in a plush office staffed by a bunch of salesmen and managers and secretaries (I'm taking some liberties here :D), fabbed by a medium size fabrication company with similar overhead who also needs to turn a profit on it, constructed using material that was either made in the US or shipped in from overseas, and finished by a 3rd party powdercoater who also has overhead and needs to make profit. Each of these entities wants to make a profit, plus there is transportation cost every time it moves. In the China example, it is all probably done under one roof or in one complex, packed into a container, and then lands in California where some importer buys them for $150 each and sells them for $400 each. By the time that Teraflex bumper is done, the sales price is probably $1500 because of all the hands involved, and while it may be a "work of art", it doesn't function any different.

Even ignoring any government intervention or currency manipulation, most of Asia is already setup to win the price contest. Plus they don't design anything, they just copy and tweak, so that part of the overhead is completely eliminated. And somehow the shipping companies have to be complicit in encouraging this, because it would cost me $10 to send a box of feathers from NC to SC, but I can go on ebay or amazon and buy something from China that weighs 10lbs for $3 with free shipping.

From the industrial revolution through the 1960's, everything was made here, everything was innovated here, and most of the raw materials came from here. I don't know exactly what changed, but for the things I mess around with (machine tools, tractors, etc) it started in the 70's, and by the late 90's it was in full force. The art of design was replaced by the pursuit of lower cost and higher profits, and then the internet opened up a world of opportunity for online shopping and communicating with other people in other countries. These are not bad things, but they are factors that have contributed.

Last edited:
I saw on the news today they said the fed raised rates again....

Well, looks like Biden found the cure for inflation.. we'll just buy more stuff for cheaper from China...

CNBC: Biden says White House could drop Trump China tariffs to lower consumer prices.

You know what I love?
Logging into my kids' MD 529 college funds and seeing it is now negative growth since inception, and knowing one of them will start needing withdrawls in 15 months. YAY!
Only thing making it tolerable is the state deduction for contributions.

Back