Recession coming?

I stopped at Horton’s Market yesterday to get a pie (home made) and looked at a couple of small ribeyes thinking about supper. I just couldn’t bring myself to get em. We have a lot of beef in the freezer but nothing was thawed.

09E21BB6-75CA-434A-B8F1-84DC3001931E.jpeg

At least I can still afford a bar of soap!!

Gasoline up 30 cents in Galax where I usually fill up. 3.89 up to 4.19.

40 billion bucks to another country 🤔 …fuck it, it’s all made up numbers anyway.

1652528265313.jpeg

I stopped at Horton’s Market yesterday to get a pie (home made) and looked at a couple of small ribeyes thinking about supper. I just couldn’t bring myself to get em. We have a lot of beef in the freezer but nothing was thawed.
Cold water bath would have them thawed out in an hr or less.

There are a number of folks in the bbq world that claim you can get a better steak by starting with it frozen.

Cold water bath would have them thawed out in an hr or less.

There are a number of folks in the bbq world that claim you can get a better steak by starting with it frozen.
We may need to move this to the vittles thread. Please elaborate on cooking steak from frozen? I've heard of doing this using sous vide. But BBQ might get a better flavor.

I don’t know about steak, but a lot of things are more tender from frozen in crockpot cooking.

Since we're already wading off topic...
I don’t know about steak, but a lot of things are more tender from frozen in crockpot cooking.
Who cares? Crockpots are only good for ruining meat. If the meat squeaks when you bite into it, its not juicy, its just wet.

Since we're already wading off topic...

Who cares? Crockpots are only good for ruining meat. If the meat squeaks when you bite into it, its not juicy, its just wet.
:shaking:

noodles yep a bunch of limp ones in govco.......now back on topic.

Anyone really changing summer plans due to the current and the possible future? Me and the wife have been discussing.

Now i need to know more . lol
Instantpot is basically a pressure cooker, so it forces moisture into the noodles and they plump up like overcooked pasta, but stay nicely firm and al dente.

Yes. In many ways. First time we won’t be taking a big trip in many yrs. Already skipped out on a planned hunting trip to Nebraska.

Anyone really changing summer plans due to the current and the possible future? Me and the wife have been discussing.
that would require having actually made plans.

We’re still going to the beach in June, house is already rented. If at all possible, doing things to reduce stress and enjoy family should continue.

In all seriousness, we are set up about as good as can be to weather a serious economic downturn. A zero % Honda loan and my zero % Kubota (if the damn thing ever gets here) is our only debt. We both decided to find part time jobs we would enjoy to put extra cash away. Angie works 25 hours a week in compliance at a local bank and I drive patients for an addiction treatment facility (mine has turned into very full time with good bennies).

As long as I can scrape together the meager yearly taxes, this place is safe. I may be eating squirrel, my veggies and eggs at some point but we‘ll make it barring sickness.

I do believe barring something happening to stop it, the brave new world is being implemented right before our eyes.

———

I heard on the radio that Cooper signed a bill to force power companies to reduce emissions by 70% in 8 years and to zero by 2050 😨

I’m ordering that wood stove I’ve been looking at. Gonna get this kitchen updated and we’re gonna stay trailer people til this thing stabilizes….or doesn’t.

We’re still going to the beach in June, house is already rented. If at all possible, doing things to reduce stress and enjoy family should continue.

In all seriousness, we are set up about as good as can be to weather a serious economic downturn. A zero % Honda loan and my zero % Kubota (if the damn thing ever gets here) is our only debt. We both decided to find part time jobs we would enjoy to put extra cash away. Angie works 25 hours a week in compliance at a local bank and I drive patients for an addiction treatment facility (mine has turned into very full time with good bennies).

As long as I can scrape together the meager yearly taxes, this place is safe. I may be eating squirrel, my veggies and eggs at some point but we‘ll make it barring sickness.

I do believe barring something happening to stop it, the brave new world is being implemented right before our eyes.

———

I heard on the radio that Cooper signed a bill to force power companies to reduce emissions by 70% in 8 years and to zero by 2050 😨

I’m ordering that wood stove I’ve been looking at. Gonna get this kitchen updated and we’re gonna stay trailer people til this thing stabilizes….or doesn’t.
We are debt free.no loans.cc's.nothing and Jake has made it thru school w no college debt so we should be good but summer selling season has started and fuel prices are starting to affect where we sell.There's a sell in Springfield OH we usually do that's this weekend but were sitting it out this year.Our Lancaster PA trips have been cut back as well since we spend a min of $500 on fuel goin up there.Last couple of times we took Tonya's Tahoe which was better $$ wise but I'm not a fan of towing that far w it.

All of our vacation plans for this year were booked last year. We are not cancelling any of them.

We may need to move this to the vittles thread. Please elaborate on cooking steak from frozen? I've heard of doing this using sous vide. But BBQ might get a better flavor.
The theory is that you can sear the steak on the outside, and the inside takes longer to get upto temp, so its easier to get a good sear without overcooking the center. With a frozen steak, you season the outside after searing vs before. Or use compound butter on the steak during the rest.

Last edited:
I read this on another forum, thoughts?

I work for a major window and door company.

We have been swamped working insane overtime for the last few years.

Our orders have just dropped dramatically each day starting on Monday this week.

In our industry this happens fast, we saw it in 2008.

Here it comes...I’ve been saving my overtime money in preparation so I’m as ready as I can be.

I read this on another forum, thoughts?

I work for a major window and door company.

We have been swamped working insane overtime for the last few years.

Our orders have just dropped dramatically each day starting on Monday this week.

In our industry this happens fast, we saw it in 2008.

Here it comes...I’ve been saving my overtime money in preparation so I’m as ready as I can be.

Well I want some new sliding doors and the price and lead time I was quoted earlier this year about made me shit myself, so I welcome some price softening!!

Back