Red YJ Build

Plan is to go through the new to me motor and verify all is healthy. Once that's done, the current motor will become the subject of some science experiments until it dies for good.
Turbo experiments.

FIFY. There were serious discussions about buying a bottle and just spraying directly into the intake. No jets, no controller, just crack the bottle and see how far we can eject a piston.
#harlanroadtriptopics

FIFY. There were serious discussions about buying a bottle and just spraying directly into the intake. No jets, no controller, just crack the bottle and see how far we can eject a piston.

I’m in for a $20 spot toward the bottle. An old single cam honda engine will take it for about 1/8 of a mile then send every piston straight to hell.

There was a YouTube channel where they ran junkyard ford vs Chevy small blocks in cages at redline till failure and took bets on which would last longer. Usually ended in a thrown rod and fireballs, but cool AF

Got out to Uwharrie this past weekend for a couple hours. My wife and son rode along and it was a great family outing just putting around the trails. The exhaust is louder than I had hoped so we bought some toddler ear muffs and little dude did great with them.

The week leading up to this trip, @Chris_Keziah did some tuning for me on the LS. The difference he made was night and day. This thing is so much more enjoyable to drive. It'll cruise down the highway at 75 without issue, shifts smoothly, and has all the power I could need. There are some small tweaks to make for 4low shift points and we're going to experiment with the tach/speedo output signals with the hopes of ditching the converter box I currently have.

Only pictures taken on the trail were of my family but that's all I really needed.
IMG_5421[1].JPG
IMG_5437[1].JPG
IMG_5443[2].JPG

Once we got back home, I threw the scanner on the jeep just to view some live data items and was surprised to see this code. When I had the motor out, I replaced the oil pump, front cover seal, and front output seal. Of course I didn't replace the timing chain like a dummy so I might be on the path to doing that :dumbass:
IMG_6576[1].JPG

Sunday I got a little time to start cleaning up the new-to-me motor for the little YJ. All openings were taped off, it got sprayed down with purple power, and then pressure washed. While cleaning the block, I was greeted with this reman tag. I was told this motor came out of a 97 TJ with roughly 120K miles on it. This tag now tells me it has less than the 120k reported miles. I still plan to open it up and inspect/regasket everything but I feel more at ease about what I'll find now.
IMG_6575[1].JPG

Quarterly update time.

Since hitting ure at the end of last year, the only dirt this thing has seen was windrock back in February. Work has gotten crazy busy and home life has almost been as busy. Windrock was a blast with the only issues being on day one. Found a bad connection for the radiator and trans fans and had some winch troubles. Other than that it was a solid trip with a lot of ground covered.

Fast forward to this weekend and I’m getting things ready for a trip to the ranch next weekend. Pulled the front coilovers to finally rebuild them. Also swapping the lower spring for one slightly stiffer and we’ll see how that goes. Rebuilt the warn 9500hs and ordered new line for it. Battery terminals have been replaced (ultimate cause of winch issues at windrock). Had the vss go out and put the trans in limp mode. Wiring checked and all was good. Ordered a new sensor and it should be here Monday. Also ordered some hydraulic bumps for the front but highly doubt I’ll get around to getting them installed before this ride.

7D06C14C-0491-46BB-B666-71870B5066EE.jpeg

31D88FD4-CBFF-4B95-ADF0-21ACDE4DDA21.jpeg

CA85AAAF-E0B0-4B48-8C63-586DF0FAE0BE.jpeg

Quarterly update time.

Since hitting ure at the end of last year, the only dirt this thing has seen was windrock back in February. Work has gotten crazy busy and home life has almost been as busy. Windrock was a blast with the only issues being on day one. Found a bad connection for the radiator and trans fans and had some winch troubles. Other than that it was a solid trip with a lot of ground covered.

Fast forward to this weekend and I’m getting things ready for a trip to the ranch next weekend. Pulled the front coilovers to finally rebuild them. Also swapping the lower spring for one slightly stiffer and we’ll see how that goes. Rebuilt the warn 9500hs and ordered new line for it. Battery terminals have been replaced (ultimate cause of winch issues at windrock). Had the vss go out and put the trans in limp mode. Wiring checked and all was good. Ordered a new sensor and it should be here Monday. Also ordered some hydraulic bumps for the front but highly doubt I’ll get around to getting them installed before this ride.

View attachment 395545
View attachment 395546
View attachment 395547
Awesome stuff man! I might give you a ring if I need to tear into my coilover springs.

I saw a clean, grey two door XJ at the pick and pull yesterday it reminded me of the old rig.

I believe everything is buttoned up and ready for this weekend. All that's left to do is load it up and roll out first thing Friday morning.
Way to jinx yourself broski whoaski.

It's just like the W word Alan like to start slinging around 2-weeks before any trip...

A couple weeks late but the ranch trip went great. My new favorite trail is Jimmy Hoffa. Jeep did well and, until I loaded it on the trailer to head home, I thought it made it through the weekend without any damage. When strapping it down I found a bent sway bar link and mounting tab. I’m 99% certain it happened on cripple creek because it was the only time, that I’m aware of, the passenger rear was very stuffed into the bump. A new link was ordered and I’ll straighten and strengthen the tab.

My son had an absolute blast all weekend. He loved cruising the trails and rode through everything like a champ.

IMG_7418.png
IMG_7387.jpeg
88edf3b4-93c1-4d15-93f3-0ab4756c0329.jpeg
IMG_6637.jpeg
IMG_6645.jpeg
IMG_7302.jpeg
IMG_7294.jpeg
IMG_7287.jpeg
IMG_7283.jpeg
CEFC9D4E-8657-49F0-A7EC-8DF01468DAEB.jpeg
IMG_7380.jpeg
IMG_7383.jpeg

Loaded the Jeep up and headed back to the ranch last weekend for the Xrock event. @Joe J. was competing in the SLRC open class and I was lucky enough to be his spotter. We headed up Thursday and got an air bnb in town since all cabins were booked. It was a nice little place and only about 10 minutes from the park.

Joe qualified 7th of 18 on Friday which was great. We wheeled Friday afternoon and all day Saturday and then Joe competed Sunday morning. Unfortunately, the competition was short lived as his upper link decided to identify as a taco thus killing his front pinion yoke. The day ended there but it was still an absolute blast.

Again, my son loved the ranch. He was very excited to watch the Xrock event when they were in areas that could be viewed from the sidelines. He’s also the king of trail naps and has really found his comfort zone in the back of the Jeep.

No pictures of my rig wheeling this weekend but, when I got back, @Van-go let me try on his shoes. I’ll be on the hunt for some 43s in a few months it seems.

IMG_7627.jpeg
IMG_7629.jpeg
IMG_7632.jpeg
IMG_7642.jpeg
IMG_7643.jpeg
IMG_7693.jpeg
IMG_7694.jpeg
1ba06536-7f97-4b31-a756-f867be23c243.jpeg
64250f32-d86f-4c73-9f58-0580c2240a60.jpeg
IMG_7686.jpeg

Well a lot has changed in the past 4 months. The rig is still doing well and I’ve fixed the sway bar links. Also bought a set of H2 wheels, some STT Pros, and swapped the rear spool for an ARB for some street use.

The biggest change, however, is that I now have a new home, a garage, and a shop. The catch is that I’m no longer in NC. My wife and I made the move to Houston, Tx. Why the move? My wife’s family are all in the Houston area. She and I had been talking about wanting to move down here for years and, after some medical issues that hit me back in December (had a stroke), we decided it was now or never. Moving away from the physical NC off-road community and the Misfitz has been tough but we’re incredibly happy down here. My son has absolutely fallen in love with Jeep rides (hence the street setup changes) and can’t get enough time hanging in the shop with me. I’m still making regular trips back to NC for work and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Huge shout out to @Joe J. for being my codriver on the move to the new home.

Anyways, onto some pics.
IMG_7898.jpeg
29DC7F0E-7F8B-4564-A203-75A5815E2FFA.jpeg
IMG_7464.jpeg
IMG_8027.jpeg
IMG_8028.jpeg
IMG_8055.jpeg
IMG_8096.jpeg
IMG_8105.jpeg
IMG_8127.jpeg
IMG_7611.jpeg
IMG_8308.jpeg
IMG_8352.jpeg
IMG_8353.jpeg

Last edited:
Well a lot has changed in the past 4 months. The rig is still doing well and I’ve fixed the sway bar links. Also bought a set of H2 wheels, some STT Pros, and swapped the rear spool for an ARB for some street use.

The biggest change, however, is that I now have a new home, a garage, and a shop. The catch is that I’m no longer in NC. My wife and I made the move to Houston, Tx. Why the move? My wife’s family are all in the Houston area. She and I had been talking about wanting to move down here for years and, after some medical issues that hit me back in December (had a stroke), we decided it was now or never. Moving away from the physical NC off-road community and the Misfitz has been tough but we’re incredibly happy down here. My son has absolutely fallen in love with Jeep rides (hints the street setup changes) and can’t get enough time hanging in the shop with me. I’m still making regular trips back to NC for work and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Huge shout out to @Joe J. for being my codriver on the move to the new home.

Anyways, onto some pics.
View attachment 405200View attachment 405201View attachment 405202View attachment 405203View attachment 405204View attachment 405205View attachment 405206View attachment 405207View attachment 405208View attachment 405209View attachment 405210View attachment 405211View attachment 405212
Next rig upgrade…A/C! Congrats on the move. Maybe one day I’ll finish my jeep and we will ride together some time. I got a little one too :)

Back