Resurrection 2dr

Question for those having traction issues, are you running any dead weight over the rear axle to help track it to the ground? Also how wide of tires? Pizza cutters FTW!!
Pizza cutters by theory for sure, but that's what the best of our 3 was running and it didn't work for him. I think both of my companions screwed themselves by not dropping to 4 low but I'm good with that because it made me look like the hero, and you can spell cHEROkee without HERO!

I definitely was not the best Jeep in the bunch, just had the best luck (and driver). The real testimony was the fact that the budget built 3"lift open/open Jeep kept up with the best built rig in the pack.

Question for those having traction issues, are you running any dead weight over the rear axle to help track it to the ground? Also how wide of tires? Pizza cutters FTW!!

31x10.50r15 here. I’ve usually got a couple hundred pounds of tools in the back but I don’t have a tire carrier bumper or anything. Just a heavy gas tank skid and a bunch of tools. I’ve heard of a few guys going to a 235/85r16, true pizza cutters at a little over 9” wide.

@GotWood what’s next on the to-do list for the Jeep?

31x10.50r15 here. I’ve usually got a couple hundred pounds of tools in the back but I don’t have a tire carrier bumper or anything. Just a heavy gas tank skid and a bunch of tools. I’ve heard of a few guys going to a 235/85r16, true pizza cutters at a little over 9” wide.

@GotWood what’s next on the to-do list for the Jeep?
Mostly creature comforts till the new year. Going to install cruise control/steering wheel from my 01 parts Jeep and fix the radio harness that was cut out. A/C needs service but not till spring. Going to remove the seats and carpet and install a new passenger floor board. Also need to cut the rocker panels out and integrate sliders. Also deciding which direction to go with the rear axle and locker, probably go with an 8.8/disc combo and Eaton E-locker.

For the rest of the year I'm just going to enjoy the cool factor of having a 2dr/5spd XJ.

Added cruise control, life is good!
IMG_20181224_192938554.jpg

Just remember you must have 97-98 switches for a 97 model, 01 won't work!

Still haven't found my switches but I'm sure i will. Now I'm looking for door panels and window regulators. The regulators seem to be harder to find than the panels. Anyone have a pn for them?

found a set of switches at a junkyard in Shelby and they half-ass work and now they don't. Guess I'm still on the hunt for a good set of switches. It's hard to believe how many Jeeps have been scrapped in junk yards but how few are 1997 or 1998 with cruise control. #firstworldproblems

I gave up trying to find the factory parts and added the rostra universal cruise kit. Easy to install and it works great.

I gave up trying to find the factory parts and added the rostra universal cruise kit. Easy to install and it works great.
I'm on a mission! I WILL have a working factory cc and somehow eventually factory power windows. May even try for a power sunroof. I miss my sunroof in my 98 XJ.

I think i have tracked down a set of window regulators and door panels. The panels are the wrong color by but we'll deal with that later!

found a set of switches at a junkyard in Shelby and they half-ass work and now they don't. Guess I'm still on the hunt for a good set of switches. It's hard to believe how many Jeeps have been scrapped in junk yards but how few are 1997 or 1998 with cruise control. #firstworldproblems

Try eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Willc found some really nice replacement pans that we put in his XJ. The fit was perfect and they were reasonably priced.
unless they're free they're too much. I'll just be making a set out of some metal I have laying around

Round 2 on the front end. I made the mistake of not using lock nuts on my heim joints. I figured I'd let them move a little and decrease any binding that may occur. Now they have stretched the threads and i need to start over. Also the front locker is busted and i have a transmission leak.
20191224_201014.jpg

I would recommend using grade 8 lock nuts if using grade 8 bolts. They are the crushed acorn style lock instead of nylock, since most nylocks are grade 2 or possibly at best gr 5.

I would recommend using grade 8 lock nuts if using grade 8 bolts. They are the crushed acorn style lock instead of nylock, since most nylocks are grade 2 or possibly at best gr 5.
Jam nuts is what i meant to say.

Got the front locker back together and started searching down some noise coming from the T/C. PO did a crappy job on SYE and messed up the pump which caused other problems of course. Chain was so stretched out that it came off without having to pull the gears! In the process of cleaning this up and now i need to do some work to the frame rails due to rust. I should probably buy stiffners but my cheap broke self can't do that at the moment.
20191230_194032.jpg
20191230_194037.jpg
20191230_194050.jpg

As for the front carrier bearings, anyone ever seen the race look like this? Pattern was good and no detectable side to side play.
20191228_173812.jpg
20191228_173751.jpg

Back