Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

Nope thats the lokar locking dipstick for the trans...

oops see I was beaten to the punch

BTW...if memory serves me right I may have had the first one of those you ever saw....and the same guy may have installed it....

A shop in concord hired me to build really nice suspension and axles for it 3 years ago. It’s coyote powered, ax15, d44 front with chromo’s arb and the best of everything. Rear 9” with billet third, arb 35 spline chromo’s etc. huge 14” wilwood brakes. Fox remote resi coil overs, rear Currie anti-rock. Front hellwig EB sway bar.

Basically it’s a money is no object build. The interior is immaculate, the body is immaculate, the frame is immaculate etc. it’s nice.

It’s back here at my shop because long story short in the 3 years it took the other shop to do the rest of the build lots of things on it changed including changing from large fender openings in the rear (what I set up ride height around) now it’s got the short skirted fenders in the back and has to sit a couple inches higher than it should. In doing so it drives terrible, the links are short because of space constraints in the front and they’re steeper than they should be. In an effort to try and get it to drive better I built new longer lowers and new frame mounts. It has been an absolute nightmare that I can’t get away from. This build has caused me more stress than any other build in my 12 years of business and now I’m having to eat thousands of dollars of work to try and make it right for the customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A shop in concord hired me to build really nice suspension and axles for it 3 years ago. It’s coyote powered, ax15, d44 front with chromo’s arb and the best of everything. Rear 9” with billet third, arb 35 spline chromo’s etc. huge 14” wilwood brakes. Fox remote resi coil overs, rear Currie anti-rock. Front hellwig EB sway bar.

Basically it’s a money is no object build. The interior is immaculate, the body is immaculate, the frame is immaculate etc. it’s nice.

It’s back here at my shop because long story short in the 3 years it took the other shop to do the rest of the build lots of things on it changed including changing from large fender openings in the rear (what I set up ride height around) now it’s got the short skirted fenders in the back and has to sit a couple inches higher than it should. In doing so it drives terrible, the links are short because of space constraints in the front and they’re steeper than they should be. In an effort to try and get it to drive better I built new longer lowers and new frame mounts. It has been an absolute nightmare that I can’t get away from. This build has caused me more stress than any other build in my 12 years of business and now I’m having to eat thousands of dollars of work to try and make it right for the customer.

I wondered if it was the same one. I recall how nice it looked when you finished the first time. Hate to hear all the grief is caused you.

Yep. It’s definitely been a pain. To add to that the owner lives in Washington state. When it leaves here to go to its home it HAS to be right. It sucks. It’s somewhat my fault so it’s gotta be done.

Yep. It’s definitely been a pain. To add to that the owner lives in Washington state. When it leaves here to go to its home it HAS to be right. It sucks. It’s somewhat my fault so it’s gotta be done.

bummer to hear its back again.

I ended up with a good bit more room for headlights than expected so instead of needing to come up with lights that fit. I get to build something a little nicer to fill the area.

aa99728f2825a235176562b645fa04ed.jpg

I might hate these when they’re done so we’ll see how this goes. They’re built around a 6.5” double row LED light bar.

dcf2a3617669c776f406b67dcaa316e6.jpg

545ca26f67083b05d1fd8d68ee6e8602.jpg

That looks better than the original idea! That is looking awesome.

Bets on how long it stays nice? Can't wait to see Jody replace the sheet metal, then on the next trip with it all pretty give 0 fucks.

One trip is all it'll take.
I ain't spending $xxxx to take the easy lines!

That looks better than the original idea! That is looking awesome.

Bets on how long it stays nice? Can't wait to see Jody replace the sheet metal, then on the next trip with it all pretty give 0 fucks.

They’re pretty stout. I used all 1.25” steel and they’re tied into the tube work. The plan is for them to be strong like an off-road bumper. Hopefully they’ll protect the corners of the fenders, hold the headlights/grill and look cool doing it.

One trip is all it'll take.
I ain't spending $xxxx to take the easy lines!

Watch out! With all this fab work he’s gonna step up from taking the bypasses and overlander lines.

Watch out! With all this fab work he’s gonna step up from taking the bypasses and overlander lines.

it was really fun wheeling with you in Alabama last year. Right up until your piece of crap broke on the first rock on the first trail on the first day
:flipoff2:

Last edited:
it was really fun wheeling with you in Alabama last year. Right up until your piece of crap broke on the first rock on the first trail on the first day
That story sounds all too familiar :flipoff2:

upload_2020-11-18_16-37-32.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-37-46.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-38-2.png

Back