Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

Anybody want a Ranger?
This fn thing working my last nerve trying to get the Holley stuff to play nice. Ugh
Takes a smart dude with a laptop last time I checked. I paid a guy.

Anybody want a Ranger?
This fn thing working my last nerve trying to get the Holley stuff to play nice. Ugh
I am in for the learning, I have a Truck 302 being ran by all the ford goodies....event the bloody smog in my YJ. Ford harness computer.....

So the Terminator X is controlling Ford injection, Ford intake (sensors), Timing, Spark advance, rich, lean, the work work? So no Ford computer?

IMG_20230101_124930267.jpg

Excuse the dust. This is when I stopped. The over all disgusted feeling after I started the axle swap. It is when I realized nothing about the he current suits me.
IMG_20230101_124944436.jpg

This rat nest is mostly the entirety of the Ford harness grafted to the YJ. Everything and gauge works....but this and under the dash is a nightmare. I'd hate to trouble shoot it.

Derail maybe @Jody Treadway is this what you cleaned up by doing the Holly stuff?

Did you adlib your harness or was it preterminated from Holley?
Plug and play Holley. Hook up some powers and a couple grounds.
ECM is tripping a "no cam sync" error. Even though it's seeing 400 RPMs cranking
It's a software issue beyond my scope of knowledge.
As Andy Griffith said "just pay the man".

I am in for the learning, I have a Truck 302 being ran by all the ford goodies....event the bloody smog in my YJ. Ford harness computer.....

So the Terminator X is controlling Ford injection, Ford intake (sensors), Timing, Spark advance, rich, lean, the work work? So no Ford computer?
Correct. No ford harness or ECM. All Holley. Really cleans things up. Allows tuning, control of multiple inputs and outputs. Very user friendly.
I'm just a middle aged dumbass.

There are some wires you still adlib on the Holley.

That's weird
My instructions clearly stated that white wire directly off the TFI connector (not the CDI wire that is on the harness at the firewall) goes to Coil negative. Mine is spliced into the coil - wire at the connector.
I'm running stock TFI no additional MSD type stuff

That's weird
My instructions clearly stated that white wire directly off the TFI connector (not the CDI wire that is on the harness at the firewall) goes to Coil negative. Mine is spliced into the coil - wire at the connector.
I'm running stock TFI no additional MSD type stuff
Even on the ls, the switch power wire can mess up the cam sync if it’s a dirty signal but Holley doesn’t hive clear directions on where to splice it in

Even on the ls, the switch power wire can mess up the cam sync if it’s a dirty signal but Holley doesn’t hive clear directions on where to splice it in
My ECM switched power is from #1 on my SwitchPros. It shares power supply with gauges, ignition coil, and voltage reg. They're all supplied off the same output from the SwitchPros.
Maybe I need to have a dedicated switched 12 volt from an unused SP output?

From another forum, verify you have an sefi distributor. Ford had a lot of ignition crumbing changes with ignition timing over a few short years

SEFI vs Batch-Fire TFI distributors

• Holley EFI is compatible with the "SEFI" TFI distributor. I don't know anything about the different modules.

• Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:38 am
    Before MAF, all Ford injected engines used a Speed-Density method of fuel delivery. This method used the intake vacuum, RPM, intake air temp, TPS, and engine temp to determine how much fuel to deliver. These systems also used "banks" of injectors that fired together instead of firing each injector independently.

With the advent of a MAF sensor, Ford also added the ability to fire injectors independently and called this system a Sequential Fire EFI or SEFI. One of the key things that helps the SEFI EECs to know "when" to fire the injectors is the distributor. In all TFI distributors, there are bars or fingers that pass by a Hall sensor (aka pickup) and create a square-wave PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) signal that's used by the TFI module and the EEC. On SEFI controlled engines, the bar for the #1 cylinder is thinner than the other cylinders and thus creates a shorter wave than the other cylinders. This is how the SEFI EEC knows where the crank is and thus when to start firing the injectors.

So my question is, do all TFI distributors (even ones on SD-equipped 302s) have the #1 finger/bar thinner than the others so any TFI distributor from a 302 roller block can be used on an SEFI EEC?
    Last edited by cgrey8 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non sefi units have all equal width fingers

My ECM switched power is from #1 on my SwitchPros. It shares power supply with gauges, ignition coil, and voltage reg. They're all supplied off the same output from the SwitchPros.
Maybe I need to have a dedicated switched 12 volt from an unused SP output?
I’m running a dedicated ecu power on (run position on a key) toggle switch direct from battery to get the cleanest signal

From another forum, verify you have an sefi distributor. Ford had a lot of ignition crumbing changes with ignition timing over a few short years

SEFI vs Batch-Fire TFI distributors

• Holley EFI is compatible with the "SEFI" TFI distributor. I don't know anything about the different modules.

• Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:38 am
    Before MAF, all Ford injected engines used a Speed-Density method of fuel delivery. This method used the intake vacuum, RPM, intake air temp, TPS, and engine temp to determine how much fuel to deliver. These systems also used "banks" of injectors that fired together instead of firing each injector independently.

With the advent of a MAF sensor, Ford also added the ability to fire injectors independently and called this system a Sequential Fire EFI or SEFI. One of the key things that helps the SEFI EECs to know "when" to fire the injectors is the distributor. In all TFI distributors, there are bars or fingers that pass by a Hall sensor (aka pickup) and create a square-wave PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) signal that's used by the TFI module and the EEC. On SEFI controlled engines, the bar for the #1 cylinder is thinner than the other cylinders and thus creates a shorter wave than the other cylinders. This is how the SEFI EEC knows where the crank is and thus when to start firing the injectors.

So my question is, do all TFI distributors (even ones on SD-equipped 302s) have the #1 finger/bar thinner than the others so any TFI distributor from a 302 roller block can be used on an SEFI EEC?
    Last edited by cgrey8 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non sefi units have all equal width fingers
I have one skinny finger 🤭. I did verify that for a fact and also swapped in a known good dizzy (my spare that was once the one in the truck).
Running a dedicated 12v supply will be an easy test. Thanks for the heads up man.

Unfortunately Holley isn’t all it’s made up to be. They are super finicky. But they do hold the market for it. When working they are great. I’m installing the terminator max in the impala. It’s kinda sickening that my 150 eBay Ls harness is much nicer than the one that came with my 2k$ Holley system.

Unfortunately Holley isn’t all it’s made up to be. They are super finicky. But they do hold the market for it. When working they are great. I’m installing the terminator max in the impala. It’s kinda sickening that my 150 eBay Ls harness is much nicer than the one that came with my 2k$ Holley system.

I disagree on the finicky thing.
But I also have spent a significant amount of time learning about how to program it.

I’m referring to voltage and etc. not the programming.
I have not used a terminator system, but the Sniper systems can be finicky with noise in the signal wires.

I'm considering running JUST the ECM switched power to one of the outputs on the SwitchPro unit. From the sounds of it, that could be an issue.
The way my ignition circuit is set up is as follows:
Switch Pro #1 provides 12 v to: ECM, coil, gauges and alt voltage regulator. I don't have a key switch or anything.
Separate momentary push switch for starter (same one I've had for 8 years)

Do y'all see an issue with having ECM switched 12 alongside the other items there?

I'm considering running JUST the ECM switched power to one of the outputs on the SwitchPro unit. From the sounds of it, that could be an issue.
Switch Pro #1 provides 12 v to: ECM, coil, gauges and alt voltage regulator. I don't have a key switch or anything.

Do y'all see an issue with having ECM switched 12 alongside the other items there?
The terminator manual says not to run ecu power and coil on the same feed coil feed should go direct to a master kill switch if you’ve got one

No, that's exactly what I'm doing on multiple installs.

The terminator manual says not to run ecu power and coil on the same feed coil feed should go direct to a master kill switch if you’ve got one

Not ECU power. He's talking about the wake up signal.

Back