Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

Sound like it'll get some good air on some sweet jumps! Now where can we find a big emblem like this?

image.jpg

It's been about 4 month since I wrapped up the overhaul and figured why not give an update.
I couldn't be happier or more pleased with how it has turned out! The truck flat out works and has taken me on every trail and obstacle that I have wanted it to.
The power from the engine is pretty stupid. Off idle it can launch up a ledge or let it wind up to 6500 to make a climb, either way it gets the job done!
My first trip out I noticed the engine ran a little warmer than normal (210*) as well as the transmission running warm too (200*). I felt the trans cooler in front of the radiator was causing the engine and trans to overheat each other. The 3000 stall PTC converter wasn't helping much either...
I dug into my old drag racing crate o' goodies and found my remote tranny cooler/ fan combo and mounted it in the bed. That dropped the engine temps down to 190* and the trans back to 175*.
2 trips to Windrock, 1 to Golden Mountain and a few to The Shop later and although it's beaten and abused, mechanically the truck has held up perfectly with no failures or breakage. Sheetmetal and glass-wise, well that's another story...:D
fan.jpg
ledge.jpg
ledge 2.jpg
trashed.jpg

You planning on making it to fall crawl? Glad that thing is starting to look "tuned in". Haha!

We'll, this wheeling year is over and what a year it's been! 3 trips to Harlan and Windrock, 3 to The Shop along with 3 to The Flats. Toss in a 4 day outing at Dixie Run and I call that a pretty good year!

After the last Harlan trip I noticed some clunking and clanging from underneath my truck. A quick peek revealed the LCA bushings were toast as was 1 Johnny Joint. An email to @Barnes 4wd had that all fixed up!

There's just something about kneeling in running water on Crawford's Cry in 15* weather reinstalling a separated driveshaft that makes you regret skimping on limit straps. Sure enough, my front limit straps had stretched about 1.5" this year. That was juuuuist enough to cause the front driveline to over extend if flexed just right. I swapped in some new (better) straps and had @Oliver's make me a new front shaft and I'll delegate the old one to the spares toolbox on the trailer.

Lastly, my steering was all frowns after a day of wheeling. I would then rotate the tie rod 180* and make it smile again. We'll, this got old fast so I called up the red headed fab guru @IronManAndy and in no time he had me a sweet aluminum tie rod sitting outside my shop.
I need to grab some replacement 3/4" bolts tomorrow as my existing steering arm/tie rod tie-in bolts have bent over the year.
So my carnage tally for the year after totally reconstructing my truck is 5 bushings, 1 Johnny Joint, 2 stretched limit straps and 3 more door mirrors. I'll call that a successful rebuild any day!

What will 2017 bring? Something super cool in about a month along with some new tube work all the way around :smokin:...Starting with the bed area first.
I hope these sticky Nittos don't make my butt look fat...
IMG_20161228_183954606.jpg
IMG_20161228_183926310.jpg
IMG_20161228_183915362.jpg
IMG_20161228_184229165.jpg

Last edited:
Badass...

I need some tires and rims like that........ Andy makes some cool shit! Love the Ford.....

Coilovers for 2017? :D
Nah. This thing's entirely too nose heavy to constitute putting them on. Meaning I wouldn't want to do so with the way it's currently set up. I want to keep it looking like a truck and as a result, I have a lot of things I have to contend with. Things like approach angle, untraveled and weight distribution. I'd love to do what @mcutler did and cut out a chunk of firewall and set the power train back about a foot. That would solve so frikken many issues.
But I'll just add some tube and keep wheeling this piss outta it all year!

Funny thing is they are both 40s but the Nittos are a full 3" taller on the truck than the Treps

Why I've chosen to find actual measurements of tires I buy. I want every inch I pay for lol.

Did you change the ride height? It just looks alot taller then the last I remember, maybe it's cause I only see it on the tails

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Did you change the ride height? It just looks alot taller then the last I remember, maybe it's cause I only see it on the tails

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Didn't change a thing but wheels and tires.
It did just come off the lift so the air shocks may be a hair more extended than normal

Back