Rutherfordton Nc Ford 8n retrieval and Resurrection. I hope!

No don’t have any tire shop friends. I did call me steel supplier friend and he has some scrap 4x4 3/16 I think he said. Maybe 3’ of that filled with lead….
I didn't get a call..... Some W10x100 would do good imo.

What you need is the most badass American made precision solid bumper of all time!
I have a piece of 3-3/4”x43.5” solid cylindrical steel that was part of a Cincinnati milling machine I scrapped out. It weighs 136 pounds. And would look period correct and awesome on the front of that 8N.
View attachment 410003

I’d take $100 for it since it’s going to a good cause.
I could slide that in the 4x4 my friend has maybe...

I'm lost here. W10 x 100?
It's a 10" wide flange beam that weighs 100 lbs/ft. Would make a nice bumper. We may have some drop at the yard as it's an odd size that we used recently.

Screenshot_20240104-212928_Chrome.jpg

It's a 10" wide flange beam that weighs 100 lbs/ft. Would make a nice bumper. We may have some drop at the yard as it's an odd size that we used recently.

View attachment 410005
My friend in Hartsville that I called about steel said he has some I beam. I think this is it...

@ghost I found about 40#-50# of chain wrapped around the OE style brush bar (another 40#-50#?) to be a good middle ground for front weight.
Not too much (to strain the spindles/steering) and enough to keep the front planted/steering 90% of time...
heavy ass KK back-blade and even heavier Hardee 66" offset bushhog (both too big for the 8N) *will* pull the front tires going uphill/certain maneuvers... just be ready to steer via brakes!

@ghost I found about 40#-50# of chain wrapped around the OE style brush bar (another 40#-50#?) to be a good middle ground for front weight.
Not too much (to strain the spindles/steering) and enough to keep the front planted/steering 90% of time...
heavy ass KK back-blade and even heavier Hardee 66" offset bushhog (both too big for the 8N) *will* pull the front tires going uphill/certain maneuvers... just be ready to steer via brakes!
I have yet to figure out how to make the Ferguson rear brakes work with the Ford front..... Even the steer brakes aren't working at this time. I just drop what I have behind it to stop. :eek:

So today I fat the wife after work to help me get it back of the “clearance” the shroud.

IMG_6282.jpeg

Messed up the pretty radiator with the bent grill.

IMG_6283.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

We get it off and the wife says: “It’s off center!” FML. She was right. I just turned it by hand checking clearance and only hit at one spot that I tweaked. Once the hood was on it put the radiator in a different position. She helped me reset the hood and it’s much better now.

Last edited:
I have 2 wheel weights, about 18 # each, & a homemade weight I add to the rear hitch area, of my lawn tractor, when needed. A chunk of RR iron & had, welded to a 1/2" mounting plate. If I remember right, it's 40#, even being it's fits comfortably between the tires!

Attachments

• 20211130_142110.jpg
    20211130_142110.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 28
I ended up in Hartsville today. Picked up a 4' x 4” x 4” x .25 wall piece for my front bumper. I wonder what it weighs....?
IMG_6287.jpeg

Last edited:
First project for my new tool was to try and bend the “ears” of the box blade to accept my quick hitch I got from harbor freight. The ears were tweaked and hitting so it could not connect. Worked on one side and discovered if you bent the torch right the hose leaked at the connection. So I went and got another set at HF. It’s not perfect but it looks like it will clear now. Once everything cools down I’ll give it a try.

IMG_6307.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg
IMG_6304.jpeg

Last edited:
Brought the tractor to Hartsville today to work on a bumper. Picked up a piece of scrap from my friend that meet me on a Saturday to sell me some steel. We looked at the front and he cut the pieces for me. Went by TS for some 5/8 bolts and drill bit. Was lunch so I hit up Bigs Meats and More before going to work. After drilling the holes and mounting the angle I set some things in place to get an idea. Not so sure this is the best idea. I didn’t think about the axle having a rake to it. I’ll notch the angle to sit flush and notch it so the tube sits on it.

IMG_6313.jpeg
IMG_6312.jpeg
IMG_6314.jpeg
IMG_6315.jpeg
IMG_6316.jpeg

How do you like that harbor freight quick hitch?
So far for my implements I dont. It’s too low for the box blade top link. The top link doesn’t work with my forks, I have to remove the top pin. It’s well built but if I’m going to have to get off to mess with anything I’ll just do without. Want to buy it? ;)

So far for my implements I dont. It’s too low for the box blade top link. The top link doesn’t work with my forks, I have to remove the top pin. It’s well built but if I’m going to have to get off to mess with anything I’ll just do without. Want to buy it? ;)
That's what I've heard about all the quick attach kits. Unless your implements are perfectly the same, it's not better than regular 3pt.

I had one for a while too. Sold it because it never worked right and took too many adjustments.

Back