Rutherfordton Nc Ford 8n retrieval and Resurrection. I hope!

View attachment 426440So my neighbor gave me some cypress trunks to build a stand with. Plan was to put them in the ground and make an easily removable cross bar. First hole was difficult. Hit hard clay about a foot down. Second was worse. Just 3 - 4 feet over. Hard clay 1 old ford with auger 0…
Right about at the apex of that bend on top of the digger you should weld in a couple of pcs of 2" pipe or tube. Then you can slide a pole into them and have someone pulling down on it to give you some added weight. You just have to be careful as the operator not to yank the digger up when they are on the pole or you'll sling them around and they won't want to play with you no more.

Right about at the apex of that bend on top of the digger you should weld in a couple of pcs of 2" pipe or tube. Then you can slide a pole into them and have someone pulling down on it to give you some added weight. You just have to be careful as the operator not to yank the digger up when they are on the pole or you'll sling them around and they won't want to play with you no more.

This is a big help. Its also much safer than hanging off a hook on the gearbox like we did, less chance of an at speed neutering.

I like this plan. I was going to weld something straight up and put weights on it.

Pole for leverage worked great. But be very prepared to feather the weight up. We have red clay. I nearly made a dirt screw out of mine with no chance ever of unwinding it without excavation.

Are the teeth new, dull, or just suggestions on the end of a whirligig?

All new teeth on mine made it damn near impossible to keep from burying up faster then the dirt came out. All various red and grey clay.

Pole for leverage worked great. But be very prepared to feather the weight up. We have red clay. I nearly made a dirt screw out of mine with no chance ever of unwinding it without excavation.

Are the teeth new, dull, or just suggestions on the end of a whirligig?

All new teeth on mine made it damn near impossible to keep from burying up faster then the dirt came out. All various red and grey clay.
True on the dirt screw. You need to learn to normalize keeping your palm planted on the bracket that the 3 point hitch lever mounts in and only allow it to go down in increments using your fingers. Kind of like heel/tow driving.

IMG_7542.jpeg
IMG_7543.jpeg
IMG_7544.jpeg
Finished the auger hanger. Neighbor gave me some cypress for poles. I built brackets from scrap angle and flat.

Back