Scrambled, just like my brain - 81 CJ8 Scrambler

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
So after the debacle that was this 95 YJ that I hoped to rebuild, I began looking for a new rig. To recap, bought a 95 YJ at auction to finally have a wheeling rig, was a lot worse than the guy told me, ended up as parts inventory in the shop. Boom, short story.

I was looking on Craigslist at YJs/TJs/etc and trying to figure out what the best thing to do would be when my phone buzzed. It was a text message from a guy up the road from me who had a Scrambler he wanted to sell. Talked to him a bit and worked out a price and last night I headed over and paid him for it. Going to bring it to the shop next week after I clear some stuff out.

It is an 81 CJ8 Scrambler, I am the third owner. It has the 258 6-cyl and an automatic transmission, 4x4, etc. The chassis has been redone, painted, etc. Has a SOA done and the longer H-shackles. Driveline has been tilted back a bit, etc. I need to install a new upper cowl section and some rocker patches but other than that it is good to go.

I am still trying to figure what colors to go with, it was originally black on black but I am going to change it up a bit. It is already lifted and all, so I plan on doing some mild wheeling with it and using it as a business vehicle, so I am going to build a mild wheeler with it. I am probably going to do liner inside/outside/underside to keep it from ever rusting again.

So here it is as it sits. I am going to be bringing it to the shop early next week. I do have the rest of the parts too, they are sitting in storage.

2015-03-16 19.51.35.jpg

2015-03-16 19.51.47.jpg

Phew, when I saw just the first pic, I was like, "WUT?"

But that frame etc looks pretty nice. How much of it do you have?

I have every bit of it. Down to the last bolt which are all in bags and labeled. Even have the hardtop and rollbar. The seats are actually pretty nice too, but I don't think I am going to use them because I am probably going to change the color around on it.

So my wife has laid the gauntlet down. She told me this thing wouldn't see the road in 6 months. I am going to prove her wrong. I just bought all the sheetmetal for the body and a 1" Daystar body lift for it. I hope to have the body ready for paint in the next couple of weeks.

I am thinking I am going to go with a copper color with orange/yellow graphics and a tan/black interior.

So here is what I am going for with the cage. I just need to find someone local to build it for me. I'm tempted to try it myself, but the risk of me screwing it up and killing my timeline and losing my battle is not worth it. :lol:

CageRear.jpg

are you wanting to be able to reuse the factory half-top? If so that cage wont work. You would need to go with a full top/bikini. If going with a full top, i suggest waiting until you get it to make sure the cage fits inside, but most builders could likely achieve that without the top.

I personally like something with a little more style like this:

awww.pirate4x4.com_forum_attachments_vehicles_trailers_sale_5594f6cb2856fa06f85fe3795e48d8d9ca.jpg

aimage.fourwheeler.com_f_16485392_w660_re0_131_0907_08_z_2Bgen4d702c65571b84a67679241618c03ad1.jpg

Need something like this to keep the hardtop:
awww.rockhard4x4.com__v_vspfiles_photos_RH_1005_2T.jpg

Last edited:
I probably won't be using the factory half-top. I plan on installing a full-top on it, I will be ordering that next week hopefully. If I tried to retain the factory half-top I would probably make it work and then never use it and hate myself for doing it. :lol:

I thought about doing a full fabbed cage, but I really like how reusing the factory bar kind of retains the period correct look of the Jeep.

OK, so I think I am changing my cage idea a little bit. My wife and one of my best friends didn't like the cage idea, and don't think I need a third row seat. They are probably right. My wife had an idea for it and I think she is right. Just don't tell her I said that. :lol:

I found this picture and this is pretty much the same lift and color I am going with. I think I am going to take the factory cage and slide it back about 2' to be over the rear seat. The build off the front into a cage over the front seats.
a4wdjeep.com_specs_main.jpg

I like that idea much better myself.

has the amc 20 rear already been converted to 1 piece shafts or swapped out? If not, id suggest doing that and welding/truss the center to the tubes. They have been known to twist.

Just ordered my seats. I want to have them so we can be sure they work with the cage and also match my interior liner color to them. I ordered Bestop TrailMax II seats in the Spice color, got the reclining fronts and the flip and fold rear.

I have a color picked out, my wife suggested it and I like her idea. While I mostly work on Jeeps now I am a diehard Pontiac guy at heart and also have a built 98 Trans Am. Ours is red, but my wife suggested we go with a color off of the Fbodies.

atinypic.com_eqyoup.jpg

Sunset Orange Metallic. This is going to be the color.

Got some new parts in. Here is the front seat, I am pretty happy with it.
2015-03-23 22.18.22.jpg

And also got a new Omix cowl panel. I am not that impressed with the quality of this panel. The metal is extremely thick but doesn't seem nearly as well put together as most aftermarket panels I have used. It looks like it is going to need a TON of work to make it look straight with paint on it. I may just pirate a YJ tub I have here for the right patches I need.
2015-03-23 22.23.27.jpg

Cleaned out the shop and moved some stuff around to get ready for the Scrambler. I can not WAIT till this summer when we move into a bigger shop.

Of course, the Mustang is going to a new home soon and the TA is going up to the garage in the house, but still, more is better, right?

2015-03-24 22.30.37.jpg

Finally got it in the shop. I am very surprised at how straight the body of this thing is. The floorpans are perfect, the fenders are perfect, and there are only a few rust holes. The worst rust is right at the windshield hinges. I literally have every single piece to this Jeep, it is just a matter of getting the body straight and then cleaning up the parts and installing them. Hope to start the rust repair next week, don't think it will take that long. Then the paint and liner begins!
008.JPG

015.JPG

013.JPG

017.JPG

And my boys love it!
032.JPG

Back