Secondhand Tin Can.

The evap canister patch is working for now it hasn't thrown and check engine light daily driving and wheeling at uwharrie yesterday.

The weird gauge issue I was having did not occur yesterday wheeling so I'm guessing it was infact the dirty ground I had from the engine to the fire wall.

The jeep has been good over the past couple months. Over Christmas break it got an oil change. Here in the next couple weeks it will be getting a new exhuast to quiet it down some. I have also discovered I have trashed the front and rear shocks. I am going to go to a slightly shorter shock in the front to get a little more shock exposed at ride height. For the rear I am going to go with what I had unless I can find a better one. Currently I'm running the doestch shocks front and rear unless I can find a better bang for the buck.

I know in the rear I want to keep them cheap because they do come in contact with rocks.

Finally got around to getting my new muffler put in. It's nice being able to hear music and not have a terrible drone in the cab. I also took the time to get it tucked up more.
20220121_122906.jpg20220121_122858.jpg

I haven't really done any major upgrades to the jeep. I did install a removable steering wheel to make it easier to get in and out of. I also installed a reverse light that can be cut on by itself, with the reverse light, or stay off. I do need to weld a plate underneath it to protect it If I come down on it. The hitch receiver does sit below the light bar.

Attachments

• 20220224_171954.jpg
    20220224_171954.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 20220224_171935.jpg
    20220224_171935.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 120
Keith, would this shock fit your XJ, maybe the rear? Internet is not very clear what shocks you have. I have 2 sets, soft ride, which I'm currently running, & a Firm set, that was sent to me by mistake. Firm ones are brand new, not even tried them out, when I saw how Stiff they are. The soft rides will be coming off in a couple weeks. They are in great shape. Shocks full extended - 20.25" center eye to eye, collapsed - 12.25". 8" travel.

Attachments

• 20220224_232730.jpg
    20220224_232730.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 121
Keith, would this shock fit your XJ, maybe the rear? Internet is not very clear what shocks you have. I have 2 sets, soft ride, which I'm currently running, & a Firm set, that was sent to me by mistake. Firm ones are brand new, not even tried them out, when I saw how Stiff they are. The soft rides will be coming off in a couple weeks. They are in great shape. Shocks full extended - 20.25" center eye to eye, collapsed - 12.25". 8" travel.
Thanks for the offer but they are a few inches too short.

Today I got the skid plate made for the rear light bar. I was going to make it out of a piece of scrap 1/4 wall rectangle tubbing but the spring back in it change that idea real quick. So instead I used a piece of 1/8th inch piece of sheet steal. I welded it to the brackets I made then stitch welded it to the hitch receiver.
20220226_153257.jpg20220226_144055.jpg20220226_121457.jpg

So how bright is the light bar since you wired it up to the REV switch? The cherokee REV lights do suck, I did somthing similair to mine but just used a couple single LEDs and mounted them in the bumper.

The reverse lights power only triggers the relay. When the switch is down. When the switch is up the relay is trigger by an inigntion on source. If the switch is in neutral nothing triggers the relay.

Looks like I'm going to be purchasing an eaton elocker. The center pin on my spartan decided to be two pieces. Besides breaking on the first day it was a fun trip. 20220311_174233.jpg20220311_173112.jpg20220312_170505.jpg

I'm still going with ujoint as the issue!!

Did anyone end up wheeling yesterday?

Well the planned changed I decided to go with a yukon Grizzly locker instead of an eaton. I'm using the money I saved to go hydro assist.

I picked up my axle last night from @Chris_Keziah . Got it bolted in and set the jeep on its front bump stops so i could mock up my hydro assist. I also went head and got my new steering box that @adamk rebuilt and ported in place. Then I cycled the steering once again at full bump and droop. Once I made sure everything cleared I burned the tabs in place. Got the springs and everything else in place. Now I'm off to find hydraulic lines.
20220326_143207.jpg20220326_102752.jpg

Well I tried getting a generic line and fittings to make it work from northern tool and that was a fail. Two strand hose is extremely stiff and hard to route. Plus the amount of fittings I needed to adapte the generic hose to -6 jic fitting made it interfere with the drag link. I'm going to reach out to a hydralic shop on Monday.

Napa makes hydro hoses as well, the whole key of working with hydro hose is to use the natural bends to your advantage, relaxed so to say

Well I tried getting a generic line and fittings to make it work from northern tool and that was a fail. Two strand hose is extremely stiff and hard to route. Plus the amount of fittings I needed to adapte the generic hose to -6 jic fitting made it interfere with the drag link. I'm going to reach out to a hydralic shop on Monday.
Check with Hydraulic Depot in Salisbury

Napa makes hydro hoses as well, the whole key of working with hydro hose is to use the natural bends to your advantage, relaxed so to say
Only napa that makes them in this area is on the other side of Charlotte.

Check with Hydraulic Depot in Salisbury
I'll check them out on Monday.

Discounthydraulichose.com I used them when I need some lines made for my steering box. Quick and really friendly.

I ended up getting the lines from the place in Salisbury. I got them plumbed and bled. I couldnt figure out why I was having a hell of a time trying to get the system to take fluid. When I would crank the jeep my over flow would over flow and have a lot of pressure once I turned it off. While the jeep was running I could steer back and fourth until I couldn't. This was happening faster and faster till it acted as if it was binding. Turns out I hooked the hoses up backwards on the ram. I got everything correct and re bled. It was alot easier to bleed the second time. Went on a test drive and it drives great now. Having tight and zero play steering will take time to get use to. The Grizzly locker is so much quitter than the Spartan.

I hope you enjoy the grizzly. I had em F&R in my wonton XJ and they HOOKED! The rear would bark 38 TSLs just going around a corner from a stoplight or stop sign with minimal throttle input and all of the tired ponies my 4.0 could muster lol

I got the front end cleaned up so I can verify their isn't any leaks after spilling fluid all over everything when I was bleeding the system.20220328_171732.jpg

Awesome man. Once you get used to that hydro assist and then wheel with it you’ll wonder how you ever got by without it. Makes a big difference. You’ve really brought this thing a long ways.

Back