selling your rig? not here unless you're popular...

This is how 88jeepster must realy feel...

tumblr_inline_mjg51yQuG21qz4rgp.gif

Why do I have the feeling it is a Z71?
ohh boy here it goes.lol.. nah, no chevy. actually a nice 96 ranger 3.0 5speed d35 ttb front, 8.8rear, 3.73factory, manual hubs, new trans and clutch came with, new tires, good nice little truck. i'll get more use out of it working around the shop and probably put some 33s on it and play around here and there until I figure out if its worth doing any major stuff to it. for now i'll at least get way more usage out of it for many purposes.

the next xj will come when I have the proper $$ to build one big enough to handle some good trails and beating but the truck will suffice for now.

My brother bought a new shortbed STX Ranger 5 spd, V6 in the late 80's when he was 19 and wheeled the crap out of it for about a year &1/2 until he rolled and totaled it wheeling one night when he jumped it about 10-15' high off a hilltop, luckily he and 2 passengers were only bruised and he drove it home after it was turned over. I was impressed w how it held up to his abusive style of driving in stock form before his crash.

Last edited:
I truly wish I could either get paid for the last 3 hours of my life I just wasted or if I could get that time back. This thread is so bad I just couldn't stop reading. If we could go back I'd gladly chain up with op and only use 2wd in my jeep with small 35's and worthless chromoly shafts.

ohh boy here it goes.lol.. nah, no chevy. actually a nice 96 ranger 3.0 5speed d35 ttb front, 8.8rear, 3.73factory, manual hubs, new trans and clutch came with, new tires, good nice little truck. i'll get more use out of it working around the shop and probably put some 33s on it and play around here and there until I figure out if its worth doing any major stuff to it. for now i'll at least get way more usage out of it for many purposes.
Bashing aside... my advice as follows.

Stay away from 33's unless you plan on changing gearing too. That's not the strongest of motors and it will work it pretty hard with the larger tires unless you change the gearing and especially if you plan to use it for hauling or pulling.

You can pull the L/S from a Cherokee d35 rear and put it in the front of the Ranger d35 ttb for limited slip, look into changing the springs and adding shims or friction plates to make the L/S tighter though. It's a pretty cheap way to get L/S in the front.

Pretty much everything you could want to know about your truck is here. Make sure to check their tech section here also.

As far as if it's worth doing any major stuff to it, that is up to you, how much you want to put into it and what you want to get out of it. You can go cheap with a 2" suspension lift and a 3" body lift or as expensive as dropping in a V8 with tons.

thank you rodnocker, that is great to know all this stuff. I think I just want to get it to mildly hold 35s eventually but for now just put some 33s to get back and forth to the fishing hole. ur right, I noticed today that the L/S doesn't engage as good but will work on that later. any advise on what to do for replacing the manual hubs. whats a manual hub that can handle a bit more abuse. I hear stock hubs arent' too tough. thanks dude.

thank you rodnocker, that is great to know all this stuff. I think I just want to get it to mildly hold 35s eventually but for now just put some 33s to get back and forth to the fishing hole.

Stay away from 33's unless you plan on changing gearing too. That's not the strongest of motors and it will work it pretty hard with the larger tires unless you change the gearing and especially if you plan to use it for hauling or pulling.

Reading comprehension skill suck ass....^^^

This is hilarious...he just keeps coming back. Every time I read this it makes my day a little brighter. :popcorn:

... any advise on what to do for replacing the manual hubs. whats a manual hub that can handle a bit more abuse. I hear stock hubs arent' too tough. thanks dude.
1. If you want to go with big tires, replace the outers with outers from a d44, then manual hubs to match. (btw... if you have manual hubs now, I seriously doubt they are stock)
2. Go ahead and put a downpayment on a motor and/or transmission when you add the 35's, you will need it.

Another suggestion that would save you quite a bit of money... Learn to drive in the mud. Pic from my avatar, I was buried to the axles and got through it w/o a winch or anyone to pull me out. You don't have to go big to get home. Those are stock d28 ttb in the front, 7.5 in the back, 3.73 gears on 31's. Only reason I want to upgrade is to get a d35 in the front and 8.8 in the back so I can lock them.

did these rangers not come with manual locking hubs? interesting.. its got brand new 5 speed, new clutch, pressure plate, so covered there for 75K mile warranty. as far as 33s, I read your advise but don't think you guys caught my drift of "light" driving to my fishing hole which requires some aggressive tires and traction and little more ground clearance. I can drive it in 4lo all the way there but getting in and out to the woods is sloppy, hilly, and small street tires just don't cut it. I get the point about the D35 but clearly running a 33 for weekend driver is not going to kill anyone. I really don't mean to sound like I don't listen but why does everyone "ALWAYS" say for jeeps and now ranger D35, you can't go past 31s or grenade when almost everyone has and does for years and years without any major problems. a novice wheeler I could understand telling them some pointers of stuff but seriously, you guys act like these 35s, or D28 even, D30s, and others were designed for grandmas and grandpas in mind and with "plastic" ball joints or something. axle is an axle, ball joint is a ball joint and with proper care and thought, they go WAY farther than people think them to go. that's my 2 cents and speaking again from experience. we're not talking rock crawling pounding jumping rigs guys, all I said was for going fishing up on the mountain with 33s and i'm being told right off the back that its not doable and that just for fact isn't true. I see rangers everywhere on 33s or 35 stock setup, have wheeled with some of them, and they actually brag about how much stronger the D35 TTB front is compared to the XJ front so please, I appreciate opinions and advise but I'm not sold on staying with 30s with my ratio and setup otherwise expect failure. BS, sorry but I've worked on 4x4s long enough to know and have seen enough wheelers on different tires with stock setup and its not as breakable as you guys make it out to be. We don't all beat the shit out of our 4x4s u know, might consider that sometimes before giving your expertise. I have stated before, I would rather take a easier path to keep my 4x4 going and together than to show off my balls while breaking stuff and straining my junk more than it has to.

ohh and motor is no worry, its coming out soon to be overhauled and ported/gasket matched with headers, bigger intake, exhaust, and bunch of delete pulleys so plenty of power to be added to that 3.0. I like the 3.0 better than the 4.0 anyways. wouldn't have gotten it with the 4L. drivetrain wise, I think lockers and probably save up for "doubler" LOL,he he he, down the road. longer wheel base like this, I would love to see a doubler under this thing.

Ok... I'm done.

You remind me of my daughter when she was 15 and I told her to move out while she still knew everything. If you like the 3.0 more than the 4.0, then you are a lonely person there by yourself. You claim to want advice from people that have already been down these roads and yet, just like a child, you refuse to listen to anyone. Then I say go. Make your own path... if you get lost we can just find you by following the path of broken parts and wasted money.

I have watched this thread more like a train wreck than anything else but I'm done. I'm unwatching and moving on. You have the ability to frustrate the shit out of people who genuinely want to help people for you are the type of person who loves their own drama so much that you beg for help to only turn your back on it and continue down your own path. My biggest fear is that your kids will learn your own traits.

Good day sir.

Why do you ask for advice??????????????????????????????????????????

Why do you ask for advice??????????????????????????????????????????
I ask for advise to get different experiences and opinions of what something is/was/going to be. but advise like running 33s on XJ or ranger stock axles is dumb, that's not really advise for weekend wheelers and DD or driving around the woods to my fishing hole. the other stuff was great to know about the 8.8 and 44upgrade in front and such but comeon, don't run 33s without bigger gears and axles, really. you can put 33s on a freakin geo tracker and be ok for some trail riding so I just hate advise that's always gota be for the pros. I like advise for the pros but also for the mild folks who just love the woods of all kinds and are gentle with their vehicles. thanks for your concern though.
BTW, apparently I have some practicing to do with this ranger long wheel base. I got stuck today with those stupid stock tires and well, i'm not used to the long wheelbase and crap so finally put them down to 7psi and made it out but this thing is quite different than a XJ. open diffs suck too and that's fixing to chance real soon and quick: welders are my best friend!!!! damn rear is not an LS as I quickly found that out today and front, well....didn't do too well wither so welder is coming out for front and rear along with new warn hubs.

Back