Shipping a vehicle V3.0

So you left Reno at 9am EST, basically drove to Vegas and hung a left for NC, and were home at midnight the next night. So 39 hours. As someone who's been from one end of 40 to the other in one trip, that's pretty impressive. The interior of the ride (I agree with Durango lol) looks sharp too, can't wait to see the outside.

Duane

So Durango SRT would be worth the expense and time, if indeed that is what it is

To update this thread with POSITIVE experience shipping..... I recently purchased a car in Houston. I was debating driving it home but the 1125 miles and 16 hrs on the road VS shipping got me thinking. I COULD fly back down and drive it home. Or even fly my wife WITH me for a memorable road trip, but she and I both were staring down the barrel of some impossible deadlines, and I simply could NOT spare the time. Neither could she. I have a buddy that runs hot shot, but he wasn't going to texas anytime soon and was booked till november.

Ironically the last car the owner sold also came to NC, so he gave me the name of that shipper. I've never shipped a car myself so I was VERY apprehensive.

I decided to read thru this thread and found this very helpful

If anyone is ever considering shipping a vehicle I heavily suggest you read the article above.

In fact it was so helpful that I clicked the link at the bottom for a quote.

As Josh said, YOU (being the client) never get to deal with the actual shipper....you only deal with a broker.

I started at National Express Auto Transport | Car Shipping Services and got a quote for $1,025

Next was Summit Auto Transport and a quote for $1,350

I settled with #1 Auto Transport Company and their quote for $1,125 since that was the company that the owner had used before and had a great experience with.
All three offered pickup within 2 days. Only 2 offered choices of carriers. Nexus offered enclosed, large transit, or hot shot. I chose hot shot so they would deliver to my doorstep as well as pick up at the sellers doorstep.

Here's the delivery slip if anyone wants to contact the shipper the broker eventually contracted to get me my vehicle:

IMG_20220611_100748491.jpg

I was very pleased with the way it was handled and the fact that it came in 4 days from the bowels of Texas.

Just putting this out there in case any of you find the right car in all the wrong places. There are options.

To update this thread with POSITIVE experience shipping..... I recently purchased a car in Houston. I was debating driving it home but the 1125 miles and 16 hrs on the road VS shipping got me thinking. I COULD fly back down and drive it home. Or even fly my wife WITH me for a memorable road trip, but she and I both were staring down the barrel of some impossible deadlines, and I simply could NOT spare the time. Neither could she. I have a buddy that runs hot shot, but he wasn't going to texas anytime soon and was booked till november.

Ironically the last car the owner sold also came to NC, so he gave me the name of that shipper. I've never shipped a car myself so I was VERY apprehensive.

As Josh said, YOU (being the client) never get to deal with the actual shipper....you only deal with a broker.

I started at National Express Auto Transport | Car Shipping Services and got a quote for $1,025

I settled with #1 Auto Transport Company and their quote for $1,125 since that was the company that the owner had used before and had a great experience with.
All three offered pickup within 2 days. Only 2 offered choices of carriers. Nexus offered enclosed, large transit, or hot shot. I chose hot shot so they would deliver to my doorstep as well as pick up at the sellers doorstep.

Here's the delivery slip if anyone wants to contact the shipper the broker eventually contracted to get me my vehicle:

View attachment 375555

I was very pleased with the way it was handled and the fact that it came in 4 days from the bowels of Texas.

Just putting this out there in case any of you find the right car in all the wrong places. There are options.
Wow I'm impressed the costs is so low. These days the gas bill alone to drive it home, at 25mpg would be like $250.... plus airfare.... not worth it unless you WANT to drive it.

Wow I'm impressed the costs is so low. These days the gas bill alone to drive it home, at 25mpg would be like $250.... plus airfare.... not worth it unless you WANT to drive it.
Eggzackary. Flight for my wife and I would have been $919 + $250 fuel + $150 for hotel not including the time away it would cost us both with impossible deadlines already. It was a no brainer

View attachment 375555

Sooooo.....you ain't gonna tell what you got either?

Sooooo.....you ain't gonna tell what you got either?
Nah I'm not THAT secretive. :laughing:

Mid-life crisis car. It was either this or a corvette, and I really HATE Jorts, fanny packs and new balance :cool:

This was a childhood dream car. The money we had in an aggressive mutual fund was going down like an intern in the clinton white house, so the wife pulled it out and said "now is the time" so I made short work of finding a worthy investment.

IMG_20220610_184858324_HDR.jpg
281198568_10158309127431345_8789429667835770260_n.jpg
281340732_10158309127626345_6254627918242397659_n.jpg
281359529_10158309127536345_1465315222972743377_n.jpg

Mid-life crisis car. It was either this or a corvette, and I really HATE Jorts, fanny packs and new balance :cool:

This was a childhood dream car. The money we had in an aggressive mutual fund was going down like an intern in the clinton white house, so the wife pulled it out and said "now is the time" so I made short work of finding a worthy investment.

View attachment 375588View attachment 375589View attachment 375590View attachment 375591
That key location would drive me crazy.

Nice ride, was my dream car as well - had a chance to drive a '98 or so (last of the air-cooled)...dream end as soon as I tried to unsucessfully "enter" the car.

That key location would drive me crazy.
every
damn
time
Nice ride, was my dream car as well - had a chance to drive a '98 or so (last of the air-cooled)...dream end as soon as I tried to unsucessfully "enter" the car.
The guy I bought it from was 6'-5" and every bit as fit and trim as you are. When he picked me up at the airport and got out to greet me I asked if he really did drive it there :eek: Now..imagine you and I in that car together. It was nothing like you can imagine (2 monkeys humping the same football?) Seems this car has some sort of space bending properties that change once you pass the lighted threshold. I have about 6" of space above my head and tons of legroom while the wheel is a good 10" from my dunlop

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_213459162_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220610_213459162_HDR.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 83
I approve.

The guy I bought it from was 6'-5" and every bit as fit and trim as you are. When he picked me up at the airport and got out to greet me I asked if he really did drive it there :eek: Now..imagine you and I in that car together. It was nothing like you can imagine (2 monkeys humping the same football?) Seems this car has some sort of space bending properties that change once you pass the lighted threshold. I have about 6" of space above my head and tons of legroom while the wheel is a good 10" from my dunlop

They may have more room in the newer ones, hopefully so...

So how much skin do I have to show to get a ride (in the car)?

Maybe a sign of the times, or people financing trucks they can't afford... but there are no loads out there anywhere currently, America is shipping nothing and the shippers are driving for negative numbers just to make payments. Gonna see a lot of freightliners and 4500 rams for sale soon.

Maybe a sign of the times, or people financing trucks they can't afford... but there are no loads out there anywhere currently, America is shipping nothing and the shippers are driving for negative numbers just to make payments. Gonna see a lot of freightliners and 4500 rams for sale soon.
It’s costing us $1/mile in just fuel right now to haul freight.

there are no loads out there anywhere currently, America is shipping nothing and the shippers are driving for negative numbers just to make payments.
This goes against everything the news as well as suppliers have been spewing for months....this is so shocking to hear

The loads are there, but no one wants to pay that bill, so nothing but must haves are moving.
That is what my neighbor is saying. He is an owner/operator. Because of fuel costs and operating expenses he is at 5 dollars a mile right now and they don't want to pay that. If it stays this bad or gets worse he is going to park his truck and trailers.

That is what my neighbor is saying. He is an owner/operator. Because of fuel costs and operating expenses he is at 5 dollars a mile right now and they don't want to pay that. If it stays this bad or gets worse he is going to park his truck and trailers.
$5/mile 😳

What does he run, overweight/height/width stretch deck lowboys or something?!

Back