Stock class XJ build.

The modified class is pretty much buggies with a little stock frame.left.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The modified class is pretty much buggies with a little stock frame.left.

Right, and I haven't read the rule book at all for this, but it's something that has irked me for a long time. Every time you turn around, there's some new race class in some series or another that has a couple of very specific requirements that prevent existing cars from some other series from running. When I saw them welding the tub back on, I thought "this looks an awful lot like a JS car", but then I saw the patch panels in the floor below the shock tabs and thought "I bet there's a fucking rule against that...." Meanwhile, the 'modified' class is basically just the cars that were running 4400 a few years ago.

Right, and I haven't read the rule book at all for this, but it's something that has irked me for a long time. Every time you turn around, there's some new race class in some series or another that has a couple of very specific requirements that prevent existing cars from some other series from running. When I saw them welding the tub back on, I thought "this looks an awful lot like a JS car", but then I saw the patch panels in the floor below the shock tabs and thought "I bet there's a fucking rule against that...." Meanwhile, the 'modified' class is basically just the cars that were running 4400 a few years ago.

I believe it is because each sanction wants to be the leader in the rules and wants others to comply. so until they all agree to the same rules or one becomes so big the racers wont change there rigs to comply it will stay this way..

No. All stock inner and outer panels must be in tack.

The real question is, is there someone who knows all the dimensions of a stock XJ that is measuring this stuff out?

I know that you guys are playing honestly, but if you had time, you could start thinking like a SAVVY or others who turned the modified class into tube buggies. Slight changes to the body could make it such that could give an advantage while still seeming to be within the rules.

The real question is, is there someone who knows all the dimensions of a stock XJ that is measuring this stuff out?

I know that you guys are playing honestly, but if you had time, you could start thinking like a SAVVY or others who turned the modified class into tube buggies. Slight changes to the body could make it such that could give an advantage while still seeming to be within the rules.

I am sure you could massage areas if i you had time.. but being that I have been around XJ for a long time in the rear it would be a real challenge for the stock class.. in modified class I could a ton of stuff that would help.. I am just hoping I can get it all done and make it there and somehow finish the race :)

No one is measuring dimensions but step 1 is to at least make it look stock. I believe aftermarket inner fenders are allowed up front for TJs. If someone were to develop an aftermarket inner XJ fender, there's a good chance it would be within the rules. Part of the spirit of the stock/modified classes were to allow vendors to showcase their products in a race environment. Now if that inner fender were to allow 16" shocks, it might be questioned.

The modified class rules are changing next year so that builds such as the IFS Bronco will no longer be allowed.

No one is measuring dimensions but step 1 is to at least make it look stock. I believe aftermarket inner fenders are allowed up front for TJs. If someone were to develop an aftermarket inner XJ fender, there's a good chance it would be within the rules. Part of the spirit of the stock/modified classes were to allow vendors to showcase their products in a race environment. Now if that inner fender were to allow 16" shocks, it might be questioned.

The modified class rules are changing next year so that builds such as the IFS Bronco will no longer be allowed.

Yes, this is how I understood it... Looks like you can put 14" shocks on it, if they would fit. They also do not need to be vertical, but have to mount to the axle and chassis at each end.

Also there was no requirements for engine placement in the chassis. Doesnt mention a requirement for firewall, although I suspect that is considered part of the body. Body can be moved from factory position upto 1", relative to frame, and radiator has to be within 6" of stock location. WB within 3" of stock. I think someone could get creative with that info and get it to handle a little better. Think possibly Gasser style with both axles pushed forward some, and engine tweaked back some, getting the weight more centered in the vehicle.

I definitely think some of the newer factory vehicles are going to allow more modifications within these rules and push the class faster.

Window nets, transfer case in, cable shifter in, fuel cell mounting done. Now i do other small stuff until parts arrive Friday
9f2640a80435daacb336418c29e2d962.jpg
f6eef42760bd2e5a5609c684eb018352.jpg
06c2043d2cbcb19f94a5f8ab2cb62776.jpg
196ad5a2969f5cc94601a9b5b253bf20.jpg
b331a1aa87618cfc02c068f20c20fbe0.jpg
00e1c78a291b85578be54250eaad2450.jpg

Nice! What Cable shifter is that?

I believe it is because each sanction wants to be the leader in the rules and wants others to comply. so until they all agree to the same rules or one becomes so big the racers wont change there rigs to comply it will stay this way..

I get it. I just think the rules are often arbitrary.

It's like Ron back in the ECORS days - wanted to make a class that was "more stock" than A. He said, "the vehicles should have X, Y, and Z, and no A, B, or C... just like your Jeep right there." I had to break it to him that my Jeep didn't comply with any of those rules.

It's neither here nor there, just something that's bothered me for a while.

I have a stock front bumper you can have. Complete with plastic. :D

I have a stock front bumper you can have. Complete with plastic. :D
Luckily I don't have to run stock bumpers

Long day in the garage. We added tube to bottom of cage x for seats to mount. Finished entire fuel cell mount and installed fuel cell. Added storage cans next to fuel cell. Cut front bumper to correct length. Made master kill switch plate. Mounted new battery holder. Firewall between seats and fuel cell. Hopefully we can get it running again.
d749bcf480930f89664557c39036c5bf.jpg

Good luck. I've there 3x pitting on a stock class 4Runner we built in 2014. It's getting very competitive even in stock class. My advice-it's an endurance race, most people leave the line balls to the wall and brake. Take your time, pick your line, and take your time. XJ's are a very good start for stock class. We built a 4Runner and were bound to a 22re and springs at all 4 corners. The rules are getting out of hand and make it hard for the average joe to be competitive. We ran with a 98grand Cherokee, flex you suspension and a stroked motor. We were out numbered before the flag dropped. That's why it's important to take your time, and prep prep, and prep.

Troy

Short day I'm the garage. But making good progress. Fuel system plumbed and wired. Fill tube in place and rear extra lights installed.
797775bdd9afff2015c71cdecf4ec30e.jpg
76e63126391104ae5f75fc9593c1d539.jpg
ad378a0ea027a93c7e4b80568110333c.jpg
c715d8c5b006562c4c0e82b9f11ab9a1.jpg
b04eb740747532f4074e06d7619fed24.jpg

Back