Super Duty Axles

Well that wasn't very helpful! :fuck-you:

Should this be in the Garage so someone will tell me? lol
I paid $400 for mine from *cough cough cough**
If you go to *cough cough cough* you can get them cheaper than that!

The deal is on the front axle. The rear is a wash after you factor in disc braking that cheaper older axle to have the same features as an already disc braked sterling.

Kingpin 60 - +/- 1000 buy in
14B - +/- $200 buy in
Disc Brake kit - $350

05+ SD60 - +/- $550
Matching Sterling or newer disc 14B - +/- $500

You'll be within a few bucks of each other depending on what your final goal is with the axle.

Not to mention the 05+ front has way beefier knuckles and c's than the kingpin stuff, 35 spline throughout. For a "budget build" you could essentially throw a set of gears in it, weld/lock the front and go wheelin on 35spline parts for a lot less than upgrading an older axle to 35spline guts.

Last edited:
My final goal is quite small. I really don't need a 60 front, but at the cost of upgrading at all, I feel it pays to just go up. I have an 8.8 rear, so honestly I would be fine with a hp44 that I could shorten the passenger side to match. I can machine all of the parts. I have had a large wheeler and I don't want that. I want this to be a great driver. Probably 37" max. I'm leaving the 30 up front for now, but I want hubs. Honestly, that's my driving force. This is an 87 YJ btw.

My final goal is quite small. I really don't need a 60 front, but at the cost of upgrading at all, I feel it pays to just go up. I have an 8.8 rear, so honestly I would be fine with a hp44 that I could shorten the passenger side to match. I can machine all of the parts. I have had a large wheeler and I don't want that. I want this to be a great driver. Probably 37" max. I'm leaving the 30 up front for now, but I want hubs. Honestly, that's my driving force. This is an 87 YJ btw.

If you are doing a yj, i would look into 90s bj60 or 99-04 sd60 unless you are wanting to link the front. The 05+ axles have alot of factory bracketry that makes leafs challenging.

90s 60s were 36" perch width and sd was 37.5". I would look to see which will be easier to narrow and use factory shafts and get the width you desire.

Last edited:
Pair of axles in for sale for $800.00. What's your price for cheap?

Cheap stuff is a pain. Usually sells super fast. Or the seller is a pain. Or they have no idea what they have.

Your not going to see a legit ad with $400.00 super duty axles.

You might see something that says furd truxk parting out. Call 336-242-246

Keep searching and have cash ready.

I paid $800 for a set of 05 SD axles that I found on Craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LKQ was $400/set in Salisbury...bought a few. Bought a couple fronts from FB groups for $200-350. All of mine are 06 or newer. I have one at a buddy's house down in Florida that's a 2015 NOS unit I paid $1200 for. If I'm gonna pay $800-1000, I may as well make life easier and go with a 78/9 Ford 60.

LKQ was $400/set in Salisbury...bought a few. Bought a couple fronts from FB groups for $200-350. All of mine are 06 or newer. I have one at a buddy's house down in Florida that's a 2015 NOS unit I paid $1200 for. If I'm gonna pay $800-1000, I may as well make life easier and go with a 78/9 Ford 60.
Shoot I'd buy a set for 600 that you got from lkq lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pair of axles in for sale for $800.00. What's your price for cheap?

Cheap stuff is a pain. Usually sells super fast. Or the seller is a pain. Or they have no idea what they have.

Your not going to see a legit ad with $400.00 super duty axles.

You might see something that says furd truxk parting out. Call 336-242-246

Keep searching and have cash ready.
I was looking at the yards yest. Fronts were ranging from $300-1000 around the charlotte area. Those were 99-04, but 05+ are typically the same price.

Typically of you see an individual selling (not a yard) they are higher.

I got about 4-5 pages within 200 miles of Salisbury...some more expensive than others...

IMG_2137.PNG

Keep in mind, if you buy a set for cheap, you still have to spend 8 hours cleaning them up...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just got quoted 1100 from J&t. No dice.
I don't understand that,they had em stacked like like cord wood a couple of years ago.Told me they quit pullin em cause they had so many.

The deal is on the front axle. The rear is a wash after you factor in disc braking that cheaper older axle to have the same features as an already disc braked sterling.

Kingpin 60 - +/- 1000 buy in
14B - +/- $200 buy in
Disc Brake kit - $350

05+ SD60 - +/- $550
Matching Sterling or newer disc 14B - +/- $500

You'll be within a few bucks of each other depending on what your final goal is with the axle.

Not to mention the 05+ front has way beefier knuckles and c's than the kingpin stuff, 35 spline throughout. For a "budget build" you could essentially throw a set of gears in it, weld/lock the front and go wheelin on 35spline parts for a lot less than upgrading an older axle to 35spline guts.
What about the different bolt pattern,8 X170mm versus 8-6.5?? Wheel spacers??

What about the different bolt pattern,8 X170mm versus 8-6.5?? Wheel spacers??

Or a template to redrill the unit bearing/rotor assembly and press in some new studs.

I personally just don't get the typical rush to 8x6.5 as the must have lug pattern. Just use a Sterling rear, they'll take a hell of a beating and if someone is concerned about breaking one, they are doing more than just a budget build. Any number of companies now make 8x170 beadlocks now or get 17" Ford steelies and do a weld on kit.

Or a template to redrill the unit bearing/rotor assembly and press in some new studs.

I personally just don't get the typical rush to 8x6.5 as the must have lug pattern. Just use a Sterling rear, they'll take a hell of a beating and if someone is concerned about breaking one, they are doing more than just a budget build. Any number of companies now make 8x170 beadlocks now or get 17" Ford steelies and do a weld on kit.

X2. These days 8x170 wheels are as easy or easier to get than 8x6.5.

Also, alot of ppl look to switch to smaller brakes up front. redrilling the pattern then is even easier. Spidertrax and others sell different pattern hubs for the 99-04 axles. IIRC 05+ cant be converted to anything smaller than 8x6.5 either, if that is a concern.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about the bolt pattern. Honestly, the only perk for the 8 on 6.5 to me is H1 wheels in their stock form. And I can handle the redrilling of the BP if necessary.

8x6.5 lug pattern is becoming the new 16.5" rim...obsolete. And I agree, anyone looking to swap in stock axles, the sterling will be more than enough for them. I bought these weld 8x170's for $150 long before I even had my first SD axle.

IMG_9590.JPG

Yup. Nobody wants to buy that shit anymore. I'm redrilling all my trailers and trucks to 8 on 170mm.

Won't be an immediate transition, obviously...but give it 10 years. A decade ago you could still get a tire with 16.5" rims damn near everywhere in any size with any brand. Today you basically have interco and scant few others over 35's.

Won't be an immediate transition, obviously...but give it 10 years. A decade ago you could still get a tire with 16.5" rims damn near everywhere in any size with any brand. Today you basically have interco and scant few others over 35's.

Ford's been making 8 on 170 mm trucks for ten years.

Has anybody else switched?

Back