The Hornet. 96 S-10 2wd to 4wd

Cutler working on it. It will be to nice to mess up. It will be a work of art then.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say he’d probably be highly disappointed in me if I turned her into a mall crawler. His art is meant to cut me loose.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on building a s10 yet but definitely getting close

Not to derail the tread, but I wonder why we don't see more of these on the trails. With the price of toyota trucks now a days, it make way more sense to build a s-10. There roughly the same size, have twice the motor and are half the money. Most of the time you have to do a sas anyways. With the surplus of the driver drop axles available (think superduty axles) it only makes it better.

Not to derail the tread, but I wonder why we don't see more of these on the trails. With the price of toyota trucks now a days, it make way more sense to build a s-10. There roughly the same size, have twice the motor and are half the money. Most of the time you have to do a sas anyways. With the surplus of the driver drop axles available (think superduty axles) it only makes it better.

Don’t go spreading that around too much. If I start seeing a bunch of S10’s on the trail, I won’t want mine anymore. I’m a huge fan of originality. That’s what got my attention to begin with when HG put this thing up for sale. The other hindrance I see is that you don’t simply buy kits for an S10 SAS. Kinda have to piece some things together.

Dropped off the ol Hornet with @mcutler today for some cage work. The only instructions I left was to cut, trim, weld wherever he likes. My only expectation is a Cutler Fab original and I’m sure he won’t disappoint.

Dropped off the ol Hornet with @mcutler today for some cage work. The only instructions I left was to cut, trim, weld wherever he likes. My only expectation is a Cutler Fab original and I’m sure he won’t disappoint.
Thanks for the confidence buddy. See ya in a couple months.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For sure no kit for SAS'in a 2wd. Uncharted blindfolded and under skilled

I don’t know about the under skilled part. Your work has gotten more than a few compliments.

I do appreciate hearing that but Ill always worry about that front frame section and how much was cut away and changed. Especially with the stress of real deal wheeling. Doing the exo cage makes me feel better about it.
So you about ready to sell that ole thing? Lol

I do appreciate hearing that but Ill always worry about that front frame section and how much was cut away and changed. Especially with the stress of real deal wheeling. Doing the exo cage makes me feel better about it.
So you about ready to sell that ole thing? Lol

Sell? I haven’t stopped spending yet. I think I’ll finally be done when I get hydro assist put on. Then I can just wheel it while I continue to acquire parts for my Scout build.

:bounce::bounce:
Christmas in June!!

Last edited:
Awesome!

0E055736-69BA-4DD2-A8CE-95FE7F6A0F3F.gif

Looks like it so far, but are you planning to be able to pull it off to weld up, once all the bars are bent? Or you going to weld it on the truck?
Looks like what so far...?

Of course it will be fully welded. I wouldn't design something I couldn't weld out.

The entirety of the cab coverage will slide out toward the bed, once the door post clears the cab it will be removed. The A post (which will be the last pieces installed - the front fender areas can be welded on the bench before final install of the A post) will not be welded in until the bottom side is welded... I only need 1.5" of clearance for the tig torch to weld the bottom side of the post copes...

Think modular...

... Roto head tig torch takes much less room than a mig gun, and I don't have to cover any glass or paint.

Looks like what so far...?

Of course it will be fully welded. I wouldn't design something I couldn't weld out.

The entirety of the cab coverage will slide out toward the bed, once the door post clears the cab it will be removed. The A post (which will be the last pieces installed - the front fender areas can be welded on the bench before final install of the A post) will not be welded in until the bottom side is welded... I only need 1.5" of clearance for the tig torch to weld the bottom side of the post copes...

Think modular...

... Roto head tig torch takes much less room than a mig gun, and I don't have to cover any glass or paint.

I was saying it looked like what you've done so far would easily come back off the truck.

I didn't know if you were thinking to remove it, or had a way to fully weld without pulling.

I never had a question if you would weld it fully.

Looks awesome so far!!

Back