The Mega Hauler

I pulled up next to one of these (with a regular truck bed on it) at the barber shop last week. I just kept looking at it and back at my truck. When I walked in, the guys asked me what I was doing. I said "just seeing what my truck will look like when it grows up!" :D

Glad you're fixing the AC. It's definitely AC season!

FWIW, I'd probably run the exhaust as far back as possible, but that's just me.

I have 5’ of 4” exhaust leftover, I may extend it back further later.
I would. I'd experiment with turning the exhaust tip, too. There's a lot of noise coming out of the end of the pipe. You want to decrease the amount that bounces back at you.

Can you rotate the tip?

Yeah it’ll rotate. I can turn it out, or add the 45 and move it further out from under the truck. Might play around with all of the options

Yeah it’ll rotate. I can turn it out, or add the 45 and move it further out from under the truck. Might play around with all of the options
Stacks.

I like the look of stacks on some things, but it'll cover anything you haul with soot. Most campers are white 😬

It'd also be loud as HELL in the cab, unless it was run through that big ol muffler first, of course.

Negative on the stacks lol.

I got the air compressor mounted, plumbed in and working properly. It builds to 120psi and shuts off as it should. Very happy with that.

The exhaust brake is unimpressive, however at the moment I do not have a gasket at the 2 bolt flange, and there is a visible gap. When the brake is applied I can hear a loud hissing sound which is the exhaust escaping out of that since it’s upstream. The gasket will be in tomorrow, I should have waited but I was so anxious to test it out. There should be enough room slide it back and replace the gasket without removing the entire setup.

I will probably add a fitting with a coupler to the tank that will allow me to hook an air hose to it and be able to air up a tire if needed.

I will probably add a fitting with a coupler to the tank that will allow me to hook an air hose to it and be able to air up a tire if needed.

This will be your favorite mod to the truck once you’re done. Both of our larger trucks have them and come in handy more often than not. Split the hose at a Y just out of the tank and run one to a quick connect at each side of the bed. No reaching in to hot exhaust areas or climbing underneath.

Is 120 even enough to fully inflate a 19.5?

Either way, having air onboard will be amazing!

Oh, and yes, I'd definitely assume that missing gasket will make a big difference. I've noticed that the aftermarket add-on pickup exhaust brakes (for an LB7) are generally really close to the motor. Essentially clamped to the downpipe, I think. Not sure if that makes a big difference or not, but something to consider. How far back in that one mounted? Either way, I still think it would work as intended.

Is it the tiny viair compressor that comes from pac brake? It will blow up a bicycle tire for sure. I wouldn't expect more than that out of it.

The exhaust brake is working as it should, for the most part. The majority of the leak was coming from the lap clamp or whatever you call it. I got rid of that and it made a big difference but I still have a small leak where the gasket is. What I bought was the wrong size but still better than nothing. There’s still a visible gap. It’s like I need a much thicker gasket. I think I’m going to cut the flange off altogether and use a couple like what’s behind it.
05592F59-442B-499C-940B-C8E6F5CE29A9.jpeg

Is 120 even enough to fully inflate a 19.5?

Either way, having air onboard will be amazing!

Oh, and yes, I'd definitely assume that missing gasket will make a big difference. I've noticed that the aftermarket add-on pickup exhaust brakes (for an LB7) are generally really close to the motor. Essentially clamped to the downpipe, I think. Not sure if that makes a big difference or not, but something to consider. How far back in that one mounted? Either way, I still think it would work as intended.

Is it the tiny viair compressor that comes from pac brake? It will blow up a bicycle tire for sure. I wouldn't expect more than that out of it.

It’s a small SuperFlow 120psi unit. I don’t expect to air up the tires on this truck, I was thinking more along the lines of tires on the crawler, camper, other people, blowing up floats and things like that, And blowing dirt out of the floor board.

The exhaust brake is working as it should, for the most part. The majority of the leak was coming from the lap clamp or whatever you call it. I got rid of that and it made a big difference but I still have a small leak where the gasket is. What I bought was the wrong size but still better than nothing. There’s still a visible gap. It’s like I need a much thicker gasket. I think I’m going to cut the flange off altogether and use a couple like what’s behind it.
View attachment 380389

It’s a small SuperFlow 120psi unit. I don’t expect to air up the tires on this truck, I was thinking more along the lines of tires on the crawler, camper, other people, blowing up floats and things like that, And blowing dirt out of the floor board.
That flange on the right is arched to the point it won't seal in the middle anymore. Either replace it, or weld it shut 👍

I've seen adds for their 5th wheel one. Does that have bushings in it to stop the shock load?

Yes, it’s a torsion hitch so it will move up and down with tongue weight. The revised had several people claiming they could see their load moving independently from the truck going over bumps and stuff.

Since camper frames are notoriously crappy, I figured it was worth investing in something that wouldn’t beat it to death since the truck suspension is very stiff.

Just make sure to get 2 locking hitch pins cause it would suck if that hitch walked off

Yeah I do have a locking pin on it. I would be very upset if it walked off cause it was not cheap at all.

Mega Hauler=Mega Hitch.

Hope I wasn’t sold snake oil, but the reviews were really good and this should help prevent shock loading the camper and make for a better ride. View attachment 380434View attachment 380435
I hate how every drop hitch sticks out a foot or more from the bumper. Recievers can only handle so much leverage. It doesn't matter as much on the big trucks, but the 150s and 1500s with grandpa's camper behind it are a recipe for problems.

I hate how every drop hitch sticks out a foot or more from the bumper. Recievers can only handle so much leverage. It doesn't matter as much on the big trucks, but the 150s and 1500s with grandpa's camper behind it are a recipe for problems.

I was actually wanting this one for that reason lol. Keeping my camper further away is better in this case but I could certainly see it being an issue on smaller trucks.

I have installed a new AC condenser and charged the AC, and the new Hayden fan clutch is installed.

I ordered 4 of the 36” underbody boxes so I would have no lack of storage. I’ll be installing them soon.

I’m ready to add EFI Live to it too. I was gonna go with Duramaxtuner.com but open to other suggestions. Kodiak/Topkick tuning is specific compared to a standard pickup. I’ve spoken with them and they’re familiar with it, having tuned a lot in the past. Roughly $600.

Pure Diesel in Kernersville can also do it. I’m considering them but want to go with the best.

Duramax Tuner or Starlite.

FWIW, I have an AutoCal that's already linked to Starlite and can load the tune/tunes to your truck. It would save you from having to buy one and you'd just need a VIN license for it.

Back