The Mega Hauler

Any chance there being a loop hole/work around for 3/4 tons? I'm paying roughly 450 for a 6mo policy with Progressive on my 03 5.9. Full coverage with collision, and comprehensive.

Not sure. My other truck (05 2500HD) is cheap too. Sounds like you need to shop around. Make sure they know you’re not using the truck for profit.

Any chance there being a loop hole/work around for 3/4 tons? I'm paying roughly 450 for a 6mo policy with Progressive on my 03 5.9. Full coverage with collision, and comprehensive.

Just because it’s a “commercial” policy, that doesn’t mean it’s more expensive or is used to make $. It just means how the vehicle is designated that determines it.

I have an f350 dump truck and it was originally issued as a personal policy at $280/6months, but after the VIN worked through State Farm’s system, it had to be put in as a commercial policy but ended up at $220/6months. It just has to have its own policy and couldn’t be looped in with my other personal vehicles.

I’m sure there are some reasonable options for a personal use of a “commercial” vehicle.

Just because it’s a “commercial” policy, that doesn’t mean it’s more expensive or is used to make $. It just means how the vehicle is designated that determines it.

I have an f350 dump truck and it was originally issued as a personal policy at $280/6months, but after the VIN worked through State Farm’s system, it had to be put in as a commercial policy but ended up at $220/6months. It just has to have its own policy and couldn’t be looped in with my other personal vehicles.

I’m sure there are some reasonable options for a personal use of a “commercial” vehicle.
This!

Separate policy only cause it is commercial due to the VIN and the weight.

That is pretty darn cool. I have been thinking of a roll back and camper my self. Mainly because I seem to keep finding and picking up dead tractors and jeeps and, and, well you get it.

I re-read the title wrong and thought it said "The Mega Baller".

I think that would be a good name for it.

Haha! That sounds a little cocky. As nice as I think it is there’s still many that would turn their nose up to it all I’m sure. But I don’t care about or need those kinda people anyway!

That is pretty darn cool. I have been thinking of a roll back and camper my self. Mainly because I seem to keep finding and picking up dead tractors and jeeps and, and, well you get it.

A rollback would be awesome. I wanted one but couldn’t find a crew cab rollback for under anywhere in my budget. They’re all $50k plus and many of them closer to $50k were much older and not really meant for highway speeds.

But if you can get by with a single cab or extended cab they’re available, and it would make what you do with old tractors and such much easier. Not to mention an easy way to scoop up a little extra cash here and there. If you have something like that, word travels fast and you could make a few hundred here and there easily.

Haha! That sounds a little cocky. As nice as I think it is there’s still many that would turn their nose up to it all I’m sure. But I don’t care about or need those kinda people anyway!
ehhh screw the haters.

A rollback would be awesome. I wanted one but couldn’t find a crew cab rollback for under anywhere in my budget. They’re all $50k plus and many of them closer to $50k were much older and not really meant for highway speeds.

But if you can get by with a single cab or extended cab they’re available, and it would make what you do with old tractors and such much easier. Not to mention an easy way to scoop up a little extra cash here and there. If you have something like that, word travels fast and you could make a few hundred here and there easily.
Rollbacks are pretty heavy and require some specific maintenance that isn't always cheap.
You'd just need a big ass hydraulic winch to do 99% of the tractor extractions, transports etc

Score!
I dig it!!!
It would be fun just drive it around "empty"...even cooler w/ a wheeler on the back!

ehhh screw the haters.

Rollbacks are pretty heavy and require some specific maintenance that isn't always cheap.
You'd just need a big ass hydraulic winch to do 99% of the tractor extractions, transports etc
In my dream world it would be an older 4 door and I'd swap a 7.3 Godzilla drivetrain in it. Of course this is my dream world.....

as if "Mega" anything didn't do it! LOL! I mean its not a Transformer that we know of........and your to much of a goof to be a Decepticon. I'd also rather you make @CasterTroy uncomfortable in your color pallet then to go all Megan on us.

Well,

I’m an idiot. I just had to touch it. I got tags today for it and had decided I was gonna use it to haul my junk to The Ranch this weekend.
I knew it had a bad wheel speed sensor, the PO told me and said that a few weeks ago he and a buddy tried to fix it but realized it was a little too much and they didn’t have the right tools. In the process they’d broken the seal at the axle flange, so the hub was leaking just a little bit. No big deal, I’ll just pull the shaft, clean and reseal it. Wrong.

Dang thing has cone washers with studs. It’s like a giant 14 bolt, on steroids. I had no idea what I was doing so I called @Chris_Keziah for advice, he offers to ride over and we can knock it right out. Wrong.

We get all but 1 of the cone washers out and one was totally fubar. It’s now beat flush and I have no idea how to get it out.
I am thinking maybe tomorrow I can find some more cone washers and just put 7 of them back in and rock out, so long as it doesn’t leak any worse than it did before, which was very little.

I’m also going to have to invest in a Milwaukee impact and a socket so I can even take the wheels off.
6B698DB3-0D1C-475F-9D10-EA642849A913.jpeg
F8805829-8282-41A4-8199-1F20856CB937.jpeg
6CD8CAAE-40EB-4C36-9BF6-3CC631E05EE8.jpeg

Just curious on that cone washer. Could you remove the stud on the one that is stuck? Or do the washers lock in the studs?

sometimes you can put a socket that is larger than the cone washer over it and beat it with a hammer. That can shock the axle shaft enough to rattle it out.

Nice set up! Gonna be killer to travel with that.

I also thought that a air hammer with a flat punch would rattle them out?
That might work, but he ain't got any air. Tried to pull the stud but it was dumb tight and was not trying to break it. Looking back it may be easiest to to weld a nut to the stud and back it out. @Jody Treadway method would definitely work and I'm going to have to make a thing for my slide hammer for future work.

sometimes you can put a socket that is larger than the cone washer over it and beat it with a hammer. That can shock the axle shaft enough to rattle it out.
This and some penetrant and possible heat cycles. The washer will bounce out of the taper done right. All beaten to death and deformed will aid into it biting the other surfaces...mostly the thread. This is also where she is probably hung. The rest is no more complicated then a machined taper on a spindle or tooling. Get the threaded portion to break the rest will separate.

Back off the nuts 1 turn or 2 then do a couple neutral drops to shock load the shaft and break the cone washers free. #themoreyouknow

PS : Don't, this is a bad idea.

PS2 : This is a great idea ! Do it and post video of the process here for everyone's.... education...

Back