The Mega Hauler

If it’s leaking you know you have oil. When it stops is when you have an issue. Don’t let it stop leaking. :D

Says every CH-53E crew ever, to be more specific.

@77GreenMachine damn son, you just need a bigger hammer.

Victory to that bitch ass cone washer. Ended up having to pull the stud to get it off.
1652218256628.png

Hit the hub with a little rebuild in a can. Phillip also laid a quick polish on the wheels and they look tits now.
1652218314223.png

So i talked to my buddy that works on big trucks about those cone washers. He said loosen all the nuts a good bit, but leave them on to protect the studs. Wail on the center of the shaft with your favorite bfh with a long handle. A 5lb or 10lber. It will bust them free.

Yeah that and similar methods worked well, except for the one lol.

Last edited:
The wife took her first drive in the Mega Hauler this evening. We went to pick my daughter up from basketball practice and I hopped in the back to see how it rode back there.

She done great, just takes a little getting used to. I really hope I can get her comfortable pulling the camper as well, mainly just on long stretches of highway on a long trip. My wife is a great driver so I would have no problems in the passenger seat once she got comfortable towing.
2E90FF99-AFCF-4F49-8964-C40D32FDF102.jpeg
0D3EB9F4-9BF4-43E5-9AA9-06BCED2879DF.jpeg

The wife took her first drive in the Mega Hauler this evening. We went to pick my daughter up from basketball practice and I hopped in the back to see how it rode back there.

She done great, just takes a little getting used to. I really hope I can get her comfortable pulling the camper as well, mainly just on long stretches of highway on a long trip. My wife is a great driver so I would have no problems in the passenger seat once she got comfortable towing.
View attachment 372585View attachment 372586
Talk about a big ol soccer mom mobile!

So I am looking into more fuel capacity. I have a 25 gallon mid tank and a 15 gallon rear tank. The rear tank leaks and is not used. For the money spent to replace it and the fuel lines and sending unit, I could just get a much larger aux tank and mount it on the bed behind the headache rack.

Or, I can get a 70ish gallon saddle tank from a semi and mount it on the side, below the flat bed.

I’ve got my eye on a 60gal RDS tank with 12v gravity fed solenoid and check valve, Diamond tread tank for the bed. But with so much space below, does it make sense to take up bed space?

Soooooo we did a thing. My wife wanted to blog about our travels with this thing. So she created a blog page (still working on it)

But it didn’t take me long to whip up the corresponding IG and FB pages. It may never go anywhere and I’m okay with that, but you never know. If you want to follow along besides just here, check it out.

The link to the blog is on the FB page. My wife will handle all of that, and the blog will be much more detailed.

I honestly don't know why more folks don't get into the heavier trucks to for camper haulers. There are so many upsides vs using a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, with very little downside. Not to mention the fact that you get to rock into the campground in a big ass truck vs the same old dually everyone else has. I can just imagine the looks you get rolling into the campground in a 379 Pete with a 650 HP 3406 Cat. Although right now I can't hang with cool kids, I'll be converting my old ragged Volvo wia64 to a camper hauler real soon, 60 series Detroit with straight pipes will be a fun ride with a camper behind it. But i guess being in trucking all my working life it's just natural I gravitate towards them for any type of hauling.

I hate I'm too late but there is a special tool to get the conical washers to unseat on a big truck axle shaft. Most of the time when they are stuck like yours, only two methods work, the special tool/ striking it with a large sledge hammer or taking the studs completely out. If anyone is curious look up the Kiene diesel axle shaft puller, it works awesome, and also keeps you from having to fight with striking the shaft with a large sledge hammer and not striking anything that you don't want to like the studs. While I know it's not a feesable thing thing for most people to buy for 1 time use, just know it works great and saves a crap ton of headache. I've had two just this week at work that were the same PIA on reasonable newer freightliners, that tool handled the problem both times.

Because I can't unhook and take it to work on Monday.

I nearly drove mine to work this morning lol. The $6/gal diesel made me think better of it.

Honestly, this is far cheaper than any pickup these days. I still have and plan to keep my 8.1 pickup truck but could totally get by with my daily beater car, and a medium duty truck.

Sure you can. I take my 5500 to work every time my wife needs something on Facebook Marketplace. Like this bed that barely fit in my truck :laughing:
IMG_20220518_165528.jpg

IMG_20220518_165513.jpg

I have looked into medium duty trucks for a long time. You can get killer deals on good trucks pretty regular. Fuel mileage is not that different when hauling heavy. What has stopped me from doing this before was not being able to drive it to work, I have a $500 beater ranger for that. The main thing for me is traveling. I have a crew cab f450 with a 9ft flatbed and it is pushing to big to get around normal tourist places and fit into normal parking spots.

Back