The Mega Hauler

Back off the nuts 1 turn or 2 then do a couple neutral drops to shock load the shaft and break the cone washers free. #themoreyouknow

PS : Don't, this is a bad idea.

PS2 : This is a great idea ! Do it and post video of the process here for everyone's.... education...
This will work. You need the rotational force to side load the cone washer. You might be able to do this with a big pipe wrench and a hammer, but using the drivetrain to do it is simpler. Even just bumping it in and out of gear and from R to D while holding the brakes should do it.

This will work. You need the rotational force to side load the cone washer. You might be able to do this with a big pipe wrench and a hammer, but using the drivetrain to do it is simpler. Even just bumping it in and out of gear and from R to D while holding the brakes should do it.
Get out of here with your actual answers !

I like my method better.

We tried the reverse/drive method last night hoping it would free the last cone washer but had no luck.

Today I found new cone washers and put it back together in hopes it leaked the same as before, but no luck. A short 10 minute drive made quite the mess, so it cannot go to The Ranch now.

753941E9-989D-4A8F-8FCC-D6E01CF2417F.jpeg
74C234A4-EBF7-4C2F-A505-660DE5645228.jpeg

Probably has a gasket, paper type or something thin. Its disrupted so no matter how many cone washers you have or the amount of uggah duggahs its gonna leak.

Worst case best bandaid is supper clean surface and a heavy bead of RTV stuff around the flange. The housing should not build pressure. The oil is distributed by the turning action of the shaft. I'd still check for a clogged vent. A short drive shouldn't make heat or pressure so I'd lean toward a seal on short trip oil slinging.

Probably has a gasket, paper type or something thin. Its disrupted so no matter how many cone washers you have or the amount of uggah duggahs its gonna leak.

Worst case best bandaid is supper clean surface and a heavy bead of RTV stuff around the flange. The housing should not build pressure. The oil is distributed by the turning action of the shaft. I'd still check for a clogged vent. A short drive shouldn't make heat or pressure so I'd lean toward a seal on short trip oil slinging.

Yeah that’s what it is, which is why I was trying to take it apart. Thought I’d just quickly freshen up the seal, not was I wrong.

I found the seal online, and the coke washer at Napa so next week it will go over to @Chris_Keziah to be fixed.

Yeah that’s what it is, which is why I was trying to take it apart. Thought I’d just quickly freshen up the seal, not was I wrong.

I found the seal online, and the coke washer at Napa so next week it will go over to @Chris_Keziah to be fixed.
k6jjl.jpg

Coke washer, well that's going to escalate quickly. Have the whole rear axle rebuilt in 30 mins.

We tried the reverse/drive method last night hoping it would free the last cone washer but had no luck.

Today I found new cone washers and put it back together in hopes it leaked the same as before, but no luck. A short 10 minute drive made quite the mess, so it cannot go to The Ranch now.

View attachment 372074View attachment 372075
Put 2 magnum sized condoms on it and hit the road :D they don’t make that patented reservoir tip for nothing!

Back