The Oddball build - Isuzu solid axle 3-link, Coilovers on 37's

Hey enzo just started reading your thread and you are right about Chris' welding ability I just had an eye gasm!

Thanks for all the info guys.
When Chris and I got into this months ago, I burned my eyes reading on my iPhone and my laptop all the posts on Pirate about the AX15, the R trans input shaft swaps, and the AR5 threads on MarlinCrawler. Lots of stuff out there plenty helpful. But not sure of shit really until you get it in front of you.
Not like these damn things are needles in a haystack but one guy told me the output is 24 spline on the AR5 and another guy said 27.... so shit I'm in no rush here on spending money until I know what I am working with. You won't be surprised when i say that the AR5 is going to be the cheapest damn thing out of the whole lot!

I haven't totally decided what we're going to do.
The AR5 with the bellhousing should be down here next week. Then we will get onto Phase 2.
There is some future items to be done like changing to shorter shackles, cromoly shafts, a front bumper + winch, beadlocks eventually,

For now Phase 1 is done. It drives and I can go get it inspected, renew my tag and pay my taxes.
Plus take a small break from throwing money at it. :p

I Drove it home the other day and it handles awesome.
A little alignment and tires need balance but believe it or not, I am not starved for power.
It is not much different than when I had 34's on the same gears.

More to come but here is where we are:

Coil over and brake lines done!
alh5.googleusercontent.com__pdykMKSNmzs_Uw_T7SYgtEI_AAAAAAAAK_b7d0e8e8af46b886d1c607296a17ecb5.jpg

THanks to Josh and his pop's for the super long (temporary) one piece shaft:
alh5.googleusercontent.com___K5CMQzlEpA_Uw_T6_0iw_I_AAAAAAAAK_cd802246bc44a4c93933bdd13e5cef3b.jpg

The more beat up side of my truck:
alh3.googleusercontent.com__3n5zrj4xMYo_Uw_T8bxKj8I_AAAAAAAAK_3a1c6e87e770b04caab75e1d7849c66a.jpg

Looks good, I bet chris was ready to have it out of the shop. Better finish it soon, wheeling season is pretty much here.

I saw this rig at Chris's shop the other day before Lorenzo picked it up. The fab work and front link setup up front that Chris built for it is very impressive. It turned out really really clean. Good work Lorenzo for building something different and good work to Chris for making this a safe, reliable, well built rig.

new exhaust?:p
Ha. No rust. That's just baked on Uwharrie dirt.
Used to live there for almost 3 years so I would go wheelin all the time.

I did actually get a new (used) muffler from Galloways awhile back and fixed some of the gasket leaks that were giving me O2 headaches.
Shed some weight too, look at the size of the damn original compared to the n-used one in the upper right:
alh3.googleusercontent.com__Z_jX5dsfsik_UX2B2ivbOGI_AAAAAAAAKTQ_vZJOVVS1wI0_s800_0310121256.jpg

Scott and Nick, here is some food for thought and similar discussion has been had on the Pirate board with Kiwi in regards to the Toyota, R style trans and the AX trans:

The AR5 I ordered got stuck in Atlanta for a week or so, and I should be picking it up this week hopefully. Schedule permitting.

In the meantime, I was on the way up 85 and decided to stop by Jerry's house.
Jerry Lemond is a well respected older fellow in the Isuzu community. Knows everything and anything about Isuzu's. Matter a fact, I think he taught all the dealer's master techs and what not back in the day when there were dealerships for both Isuzu and when Honda had the passport. Was good picking his brain on a few things.

Anyhow, he happened to have an AR5 there with a stock case on it.
I pulled the case off and shit you not, the output on the trans is 27 spline.
Seems more stout than the r151 ever was.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__YnSnOt60dNU_UyXPqcEUFiI_AAAAAAAALCac47d325b1d39a04231d39f86d92e62a.jpg

I could work on swapping inputs from the AR5 which is the longest at around 8 and half inches into an AX15 or an R150, lot of work there.
Or check this out, he handed me an input shaft from a stock Isuzu case.
This is from a gear driven case that bolts to the AR5 and the mid 90's 4L30's (auto).

alh5.googleusercontent.com__k8BLWx6x8Hc_Uyi9qWrn0DI_AAAAAAAALC412b599529330bc98e862053f85d0f26.jpg

Not saying anything definite yet but something to explore.
Either way, a lot of work. At this point:
I could end up with an Isuzu bell, Isuzu input on an AX or R trans and everything behind it be np231 or 300 (need gearing $) or everything behind that be Yota either geared down or stacked cases.
or
I could end up with an Isuzu Bell, Isuzu Trans, output to ??? using the redneck fab'd divorced Yota case (see previous post) or mod the input shaft I have from an Isuzu case into a Yota topshift case???

Just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if that 27 spline is same as Chevy ? If that is correct, then could you run ar5 and then put 27 spline input into d300, or use Chevy 231? I guess if it is same as Chevy you would be open to run any 6 bolt pattern Chevy non HD case. Hmmmm. That's some awesome info, not surprised reading it though considering Isuzu and Chevy shared some parts; duramax, hombre trucks etc... I guess to get to the 6 bolt round pattern for new process and Dana cases you would still need to swap rear housings on the ar5.

The 231s IIRC, were only 21 + 23 spline and set up for DSD
Right?
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

I did see that the 300 has an available 27 spline input but I have no idea in diameter or spline 'cut'. I heard the shape of the 'shoulders' pitch matters....
--->
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/52-6309--dana-300-input-with-a-27-spline-input/
The 27 splines here states a match for the 4L60, well the AR5 output is the exact same as the 4L30. The 4L30 was the auto for just about all Isuzu trans and the bolt pattern was matched to the same stock Isuzu gear Tcase via the adapter plate they put on at the factory. (See my previous post)
Wondering if the output matches the 60 since, hell everything else Isuzu did was a little overkill.
Still thinking out loud here

Last edited:
Sounds like to me that you just need to scrap the drivetrain that is in it and put a 5.3 with 4l60 and NP231 in it and call it a day. :D Problem solved! Haha.

In all seriousness, good luck figuring out all of the input/output sizes. You might be easier to use a 2wd Isuzu transmission and mount it to a divorced t-case or something?!

231-c is 27 spline input but dsd, Chevy 208 and early 241 are PSD 6 bolt round pattern and 27 spline input. Same bolt pattern as d300. I think jb conversions also has an input for d300 that is also Chevy 27 spline. My only concern is what you stated Lorenzo, is your 27 spline the same cut as Chevy 27 spline. About the 4l30. Maybe Lee from tlc transmission can confirm that it is a light gvwr trans but similar build/design as 4l60, and-or if your 27 spline is same as Chevy.

Thanks Scott.
It does now, don't it.
:)

So I picked up the AISIN AR5 yesterday and stopped by Chris' shop.
I did get confirmation from Jerry that the "Isuzu" version of the 4L30 auto's output shaft was the same as the 4L60 - 27 spline, possibly 700r4 too.
Had not had a chance to physically verify. What we do know is the Isuzu AR5 is same output as the Isuzu 4L30.

So shit you not, Chris digs around, finds a drive shaft and slides it right on.
alh3.googleusercontent.com__2Lx2deZfN_w_Uy38K0y_ZcI_AAAAAAAALC608286c3d92a0b3daa26de2faa20a3fc.jpg

Perfect fit.

Now I'm not saying this is the answer by any means. Cuz its not.
But pretty damn cool the spline count and pitch on the AR5 is a match on so many others.

Talking this out it can go a few different ways, each of which is 1 grand or so in one direction or the other.

AR5, spud shaft, custom spacer to a dana300 and gear down the 300. Probably a grand or so total
or
Find a r150, swap inputs, use AR5 bellhousing, stack Yota cases behind the 150, 23 spline each of them, adapter plate in between. Yeah a grand or so there.
or
AX5 bell, r150 trans, modify the nose cone to fit, stack Yota cases, adapter plate in between, 23 spline input..... $$$

Its getting silly now. But each is a true possibility. Kind of the reason why I got into wheelin, other than going offroad, seeing what works with what and what don't and how things perform.
ya know.

So after talking this out with Chris, decided to see if the 6-7" we gain in length using the AR5 trans and the stock Isuzu gear case are enough to make the angle that much better on the front shaft.
I'm not so concerned with 'tractor' crawling gears as I am just getting a decent low range and strong 4wd box.
I can get 3.07:1 gears for the stock Isuzu case that will bolt on the back of the AR5.
(I had some 3:1 gears for the MUA5 but sold them for obvious reasons)

Went to yard today to pull a case but they didn't have any I was looking for.
So the guy there runs me a deal on shipping one from Shelby.
More to come as it happens.
I want get back on the trail.

Last edited:
Awesome I'm glad it is all working out. I wish my d300 was 3:1 and not 4:1. I'm often using 3rd and 4th gear to get good wheel speed and rarely use 1st gear in low, unless I'm intentionally slow crawling. I think the super low crawl gears are overrated on the east coast where most trails are muddy and most of the granite stays wet.

Can't wait to see this thing all done!!!!!

Hey congrats dude on figureing it all out. If you decided not to use the AR5 case, i need a shifter for my AR5. Thanks Dylan.

Progress!
Gone in the shop for new clutch and rear main seal.
alh3.googleusercontent.com__BUF1fWyWP5I_U3y10ONqufI_AAAAAAAALJ521ce07917e3125b7c415c1a58be5b8a.jpg

the MUA5 trans and case coming out
The AR5 (not pictured) will be going in today/tomorrow
alh4.googleusercontent.com__7i2j2KDoqk8_U3y1v7G4TLI_AAAAAAAALJ89585d13b02ddb93ad760a80305583f9.jpg

And believe it or not, it fits in my garage with an inch to spare. No air out of my tires either.
Wanted to figure that out before we get any more damn hail storms.
alh5.googleusercontent.com__G5PFiCLq17c_U3y115DR6II_AAAAAAAALJ2e106eb9de7f97c1dcfc3b0d86960299.jpg

Planning on changing shocks in the rear and putting slightly shorter shackles in.
Going back to Chris's shop soon!
alh5.googleusercontent.com__11oBxO91i2c_U2pd_AGyoJI_AAAAAAAALH799c15bf5220926a1e6e121c663eba01.jpg

Excited, haven't been wheelin since last May.

Back