The Oddball build - Isuzu solid axle 3-link, Coilovers on 37's

Looks like Chris and I'd measurements were spot on.
The sticks come out the same spot around 24" back from the bell.
alh6.googleusercontent.com__6vkhz7Bo898_U39_ZMPKdlI_AAAAAAAALKdd5852e6021277d791ee187e908dec70.jpg

The bottom view without the case or cross member on it yet.
Slave cylinder bolt right up
alh6.googleusercontent.com__0qrgTWwpA_o_U39_ZJkuekI_AAAAAAAALK886f3d23f7cb6aded74d6b2f4cbbebb0.jpg

With the help of fellow CTB'r Matt Isenhour, we got it to Chris' shop this morning.
Getting closer!!!

Excited now.
So Chris managed to put together my spare rear two piece shaft and make a single shaft with minor changes.
Using a Toyota rear yoke and a 'washer' cut from the burn table and two new holes, the shaft was a perfect fit. Talk about dumb luck.
So if I need to make a spare I can grab a rear isuzu shaft, trash the center carrier section then go find a rear yoke on a rear Yota shaft.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__TBZmMFxwTl8_U4jVpzPkUeI_AAAAAAAALNd368a51ff241af90439945e70186ea98.jpg

We're at 39-40 degrees at full droop up front!
alh3.googleusercontent.com__JmPdRIjbJXM_U4jVruFYKhI_AAAAAAAALN9dd76f907664c28a76bddf77fbc4ce44.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__fRx_DUUFNNk_U4jVqH7DZrI_AAAAAAAALN9402dcc7af96c5307701b16bc0487370.jpg

The cross member for the trans bracket couldn't be reused on both sides because the new position is about 5" further back and the front link has to cycle up/down.
So Chris moved it back to where the torsion bars used to bolt in and then ran a bar up to the passenger side mount: Genius! Simple is better!
alh6.googleusercontent.com__fdWa6tWsN8w_U4jVrhl3NSI_AAAAAAAALN375b0eb23d98a52caf99b7f8645f9450.jpg

Can't wait to get this on the trail.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__vmBgWuxb9IE_U4jVuI1D3xI_AAAAAAAALOb40815698f450b063e901976b8a363fc.jpg

Getting rear shaft made with thicker wall.
Got new rear shocks coming.
Going to change out shackles and bushings at some point and few minor other things.

Stoked - its been since last May the last time I have wheeled.

This thing is badass! Always glad to see something different than Jeeps and Toyotas. Hats off to you sir! :huggy:

^^^^^
:rockon:

Yep, sorry day behind but yep, went over to Chris' shop and got my test drive in.
Clutch needs be bled but I swear the AR5 trans shifts better than my old MUA5.
I bolted the tcase stick in and locked the hubs then proceeded to drive around testing 4hi and 4lo.
Since we still had the cover and rubber off the shifters, it was kinda nice to be able to check the front shaft as it spun.
Chris you didn't know it but you had it in 4hi with the hubs unlocked, thats why the front kept spinning. When I finally got the stick in there, and set it back in 2hi, the front didn't move at all, not even smidge.

Now I FINALLY have 4wd. Its been a year since I touched dirt and I hate I missed the Flats event.
Gonna have to head out soon to get a real test in.
I need a good spotter since I am so used to the rear doing all the work, when I was IFS on 34's.

Last thing I am waiting on is the shifter mechanism from OX. I don't think I got it or I lost it.:confused:

Check out the sticks now. I switched shifter balls back to my originals. Amazing how I lucked out, not having to cut floor to fit.
They are a few inches taller since the Trooper was a high seat and low floor kind of setup, like a Disco or Prado is. I will have to get used to it.
alh5.googleusercontent.com__5OXfE379DYI_U5hKv6FlyYI_AAAAAAAALPc4a6a810f1083d6d9022c3643cebf6c4.jpg

No the power and winter buttons don't do anything, that's from an auto and I switched consoles a long time ago to get better cupholders.
And the rear shaft from Universal. :driver:
Thanks Josh!
alh4.googleusercontent.com__AX_Ie9ToZjA_U5hKColBc8I_AAAAAAAALPf93ea8417243fc232d52433e195b49d2.jpg

Its time to get back out in the woods.
Thanks Chris - couldn't done none this without you.
Part vision / Part Isuzu Insanity
I blame you for the coil over 'itch' and the rest of the 4wd community for the SAS.
:D

Awesome. Chris does amazing work.

I just got off the phone with Pat. He found the shifter in his 4 runner. I'm sorry man. He lives in ballantyne and works in davidson if you want to try to meet him. @Lorenzo816

interesting idea Matt.

I been busy as heck but did manage to hook up the shifter and mount it as well as getting the clutch bled.

Got a few odds and ends to take care of, like new shoes for the parking brake and figuring out why my truck keeps peeing fluid randomly.
It can sit in my garage for 3 days or more without a wet spot, then I walk out in the morning and there is a quart of antifreeze on the floor.
Drove it yesterday and the garage floor is still dry. Doesn't make sense. Water pump my be taking a shit or the water is damned up somewhere before it drops.

got three sticks now :)
alh5.googleusercontent.com__lBKx5_BOZgI_U63H_YfenGI_AAAAAAAALR768f2db7953df1a07106315802c1115c.jpg

Small update.
I have been out wheeling but not much.
Flats once, Uwharrie twice, and then DPG once.
Plus after wheeling all the above having to drive there, I realize now I need to get my Low gears installed and crawling will be much more fun. Second, I need to save up some cash to get a damn tow rig. o_O

I had overheating issues I needed to take care of. Earlier this year, I tore the entire engine down from the top, replaced the coolant pipes, hoses, valve cover gaskets, intake ring set, lower cooler lines, replaced the radiator, water pump, timing belt, drive belts, literally everything you would find on the way in. Why not while you're there, may as well.

I sent off the Fuel Injectors to InjectorPulse for cleaning and testing. The send you back a report and how you should reposition them on install. Highly recommended service and quick too.
I also found a guy up the road that makes professional racing heads to dip clean my upper and lower intake knock off some of the carbon build up.

Here is some of my mess on the floor.
alh3.googleusercontent.com__x_wmz_YCXss_VVkELmTXqdI_AAAAAAAAL_b28cf03b9545af4131ef81d6732f6ac5.jpg

Been driving my truck around here and there and working on that damn Dodge Dakota I had to sell, and now I have the white BMW X5 back to fix and sell so I've been busy.

But I did get my Tcase gears installed. I've had quite the experience putting these in. Not gonna bore you with Isuzu gear tooth count madness but turns out the tcase I had has some newer tooth count gears and I had to mix and match another set with an older rear housing to get it right. :rolleyes:
Can't wait to hit the trails now.
3:1 reduction now in stead of 2:1.
52:1 crawl ratio in 1st gear 4Low now instead of 34

I 'tested' the new gears in 2Lo and didn't even need to touch the gas letting the clutch out. Couldn't believe how slow this thing crawls now, just with Idle. :cool:

Planning a camp trip to Uwharrie in the Fall, nothing crazy, just missin some dirt and my truck isn't a street princess. I've got some other ideas down the road, tow rig, front bumper, different rear axle, better wheels.... all in due time.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__osNUF1yms3Y_Ves8bu5ECzI_AAAAAAAANQe3689d7933ff9dd3f686a7b13061ea68.jpg

See your truck parked next door (eastfield village) every blue moon. Always wanted to introduce myself but never seem to catch you.

Small update.
I have been out wheeling but not much.
Flats once, Uwharrie twice, and then DPG once.
Plus after wheeling all the above having to drive there, I realize now I need to get my Low gears installed and crawling will be much more fun. Second, I need to save up some cash to get a damn tow rig. o_O

I had overheating issues I needed to take care of. Earlier this year, I tore the entire engine down from the top, replaced the coolant pipes, hoses, valve cover gaskets, intake ring set, lower cooler lines, replaced the radiator, water pump, timing belt, drive belts, literally everything you would find on the way in. Why not while you're there, may as well.

I sent off the Fuel Injectors to InjectorPulse for cleaning and testing. The send you back a report and how you should reposition them on install. Highly recommended service and quick too.
I also found a guy up the road that makes professional racing heads to dip clean my upper and lower intake knock off some of the carbon build up.

Here is some of my mess on the floor.
View attachment 197675 I've got some other ideas down the road, tow rig, front bumper, different rear axle, better wheels.... all in due time.

View attachment 197676

It never ends. Just be content with whatever you have going on. Nice build BTW.

See your truck parked next door (eastfield village) every blue moon. Always wanted to introduce myself but never seem to catch you.
Yeah GF lives over there. Send me a PM if you got any time to chat.
I have never seen a rig over there so you must have it hidden.

It never ends. Just be content with whatever you have going on. Nice build BTW.

Yep agreed - never done. I actually just got an FJ80 rear I'm going to stockpile for a little bit and then work on swap eventually.
and I do appreciate the positive words. I kinda like having something different.
Breakng the mold.

Well, looks like I'm being forced to upgrade.
o_O
alh3.googleusercontent.com__UcM8RVX998U_VtGkZdVDTWI_AAAAAAAAN67772a883520191a13daabc7c69ced684.jpg

7 or 8 chipped teeth on the ring gear.
Fun.
Time to get the 80 rear in and setup. Then regear front and rear.
I'll post pics of the plans and progress here as I get going.

Oh and big thanks to East Coast Gear Supply for being super cool to do business with.
I talked to John and he took good care of me.
More to come soon... I have big plans.

Progress.

Cut everything off the FZJ80 axle as much as I could and started grinding.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__5i7f4yF0Tao_Vvc7X1KHbHI_AAAAAAAAN_2707a7d7c0ad9120feeddcb8c0fde884.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__6P_PU00nwjM_Vvc7ZF14__I_AAAAAAAAN_a9d1a48b30e352f86e018e5f29686de7.jpg

Pulled the axle shafts and hubs with no issues.
Common sense says replace everything, oil seals, bearings, races and all. Luckily those cone washers weren't as bad as people say. Punched in the races today and packed it all up.
Glad I went in there and did it though. The junkyard axle had oil in the hub.
alh3.googleusercontent.com__NifTKepHujA_Vvc7ZTo_i2I_AAAAAAAAN_d798565994ce79bc9e0aae7d11b5604d.jpg

Instead of turning the old rotors, I found a great deal on a drilled and slotted set. Win!
New calipers were a must since when I yanked them, sludge was drooling out the bleeders.
Better braking matters more now than ever with this thing being taller and heavier.

Its headed back to Chris' shop here soon.

More to come...

A very late overdue update on the Build:

Delivered the first axle to Chris and after the gearing was done and all was put together, we find out its bent on the long side.
Wish I'd noticed it earlier but hard to see straight on.
So I tracked down another rear end and picked it up.
Hell at least I get spare axle shafts for the headache.

Back to cutting and grinding another axle down. Fun. :(
Dropped it off and Chris finished up the job and added a much need anti wrap bar in the rear.

alh3_googleusercontent_com_w2vrWVxYdI6flocuMzEo_VSw1i4BZIWz7Hg2debe1f05fe868d3964bcb1686e6556b.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_P8_4jOQqg1wXqOCDCtsqLAhDAtyl999CGH_28f8d9b3b5b753ca2e3a51a37b2d326f.jpg

And he fabbed up an ingenious bracket to keep my parking brake usable.

alh3_googleusercontent_com_5x6r2X8zZIQcYNEibRqdSMZsW2gCw_dAaa475b836dcf1fe8f56af8b3ca8d5d36a20.jpg

I decided on 5.29 and 5.36 (front 44) and splurged for the ARB in the rear.
I am tired of driving the auto around in the streets and in the winter especially.

Took awhile to determine a good spot for the compressor but I opted on the old bottle jack location.
Its barely used anyhow.
Pulled the bracket and its a good fit and I can unscrew the filter too.
Test fit here before I wrapped it behind the panels and up to the front.
I ran the airline through a hole we cut to get at the fuel pump (previous job).

alh3_googleusercontent_com_wu4Oc29fhhTkWVI8MbB_w9BWdsLVS_nOMlme18a25029642e2411654cdbe17845a3a.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_peXc_Ax1CyNJufwMjX4kfxMj4MXL6Lx5OCkc377b3723058c1a4fd77a34fcaa76970.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_7W90AHflM_i_acOzEco04ITejVv4Ekwc8K9eb047bd9a8910462511a328a2cfd6da0.jpg

Awhile back, Matt said I should use those switches in the console for something, well they fit with a little filing. :D

alh3_googleusercontent_com_XXwRJzfX4e2VSs_yNuU2wDEVNP_uPlytnMX8f50e7ed67348543e15d07a7851ab4ae.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_7I3s_A_GckZ1OUU2u7jIuM8xOeaVie3vSCR6d4686c5eabdde7ab5aec2b2ee48d09e.jpg

Here is how she sits now and I'm getting another driveshaft done before I get back out to wheeling.
Not sure the yokes on the current one can handle flexing in the rear without popping joints.

alh3_googleusercontent_com_XG4VkkMctidAlJrKTGBZYLKdPtLx96fAcWR8e183afbfae1392ec1ebc43340b1bd19.jpg

Happy on the decision to go ARB in the rear.
Drives so much better now. I got so used to the rear pushing me around and popping every once in awhile with the auto, that the first few times I drove it, I was expecting the 'slam' out of habit and let the clutch out or winced and waited... but nothing. Super happy with the way it handles.

More to come and hopefully I can make it to Harlan this year. Finally!!

Excited to see some of the fab work on this thing in person in Harlan. The last time I saw this was at the flats many years ago on IFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the build never ends.

Got my shaft from Olivers. Was 4 lbs lighter than my interim drive shaft and after I installed it, rode way better. Less vibration all around except still had vibe in 3rd gear around 35-40 but not bad at all.
Had to order a new flange to fit the older style LC bolt pattern and decided to go with the double drilled pinion flange from CruiserOutfitters. As usual I was cutting it close to getting everything together before the trip to Harlan but everything arrived a day or two before and I worked all evening to get the truck prepped and ready to roll.
I should take another pic of the stock companion flange end. The stock Land Cruiser joints and flange combination is limited to like 20 degrees whereas I can get over 30 with the upgraded end still using 1310 joints at both ends. Needed the extra wiggle room because the rear is offset and the angle from output to pinion. I guarantee I would have snapped the joints or busted the yokes on the stock interim shaft if I flexed the rear even just a little. It was waaaay too close to touching yoke C's sitting on level ground.

In the pic out of the box below, the slip female end is from the Isuzu and the male end is retubed 180 wall going to an upgraded companion flange that has the older style LC bolt pattern.
alh3_googleusercontent_com_ZJWkDjGoDnRm0wcx49_uaiPrItAdQtm0d8J577fd9fa1c736da30d1f878779994eac.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_Psm6r2UDVbLXfXl3Qu76FbiLcUenFGplTGNcfe43313bf5a5a052c0dfeb279b76ea2.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_aZ6z4FGZbO1YqqMJCJooostOTPabT83TtbJ790039046d129b4a645e1f20aec3748e.jpg

Well, I drove up to Harlan, wheeled it and drove home.
No shit.
We rode pinball, fish fossil, rail bed, killing time, did the lower (or was it middle) rock garden and ran Mason jar with the big rigs too.

No issues except all the axle flange studs in the rear shook loose and one broke. Didn't find out until I was spraying the truck off and about to head home. These are the OEM studs and done some research on Yota forums that the short side tends to get loose on just about all the offset rears. I'm guessing there is less torsional flex in the shorter side and read more often those tend to shear dowel pins and studs more than the long side. Time to upgrade!

Ive read about drilling them out and putting in hex cap screws with washers and drilling out for larger dowel pins but I've decided to upgrade to the super metal kit and we'll see how far that gets us!
I'm not running V8 power so hope it lasts.

Overall super happy with how the Isuzu performed on the trails. Chris did an amazing job up front and in the rear. Now time for a winch and bumper.
:huggy:

alh3_googleusercontent_com_d8nT8MZc_ybc5llYY0eLnH2_W_ECikfjvOIeffff817c796e8dc5d7a7db00fa38894.jpg

Here is a windshield pic from Trey's rig of me headed up Mason Jar.
There are a few more pics and video from the ride over in the CTB thread if you want to see more.

alh3_googleusercontent_com_dgx6oIRPiveFvirypfyW2W3WK_o3kjNKroIab39a1979e4981c5270c5f065d35238e.jpg

Back