"Triple Threat" M&M Off Road Shop Buggy

M&M Offroad

So for the past few years things have changed a lot for me. I am fortunate the Shops been doing well, and After having a kid and selling the the last buggy in the fall, i have decided to start another build. The name "Triple Threat" represents the ability to conquer the toughest obstacles, comfortably seat the family, and realistically ride to town and get gas and lunch. I am realistic. After building lots of rides, I don't expect this to be a highway cruiser. I know i can build it to go up the best trails, and fit the family. However, My road use will be limited. The majority will be the short 10 minute back woods commute to my local town, drag strip, and car shows. This aspect has been missed ever since i started building them to wild to be streetable. It will be running a removable wind shield, mirrors,turn signals, standard wheels and 41 radials for street use. (bead locks and sx's for the off road trips)
Build specs
CTSV LS6 engine with mods.......450hp
th400
atlas
tons
43 sx's
Twisted stitch seats
Rolled tube accents

Now to the pics
triplethreat1.jpeg
triplethreat2.jpeg
triplethreat3.jpeg

Seen this latest creation a week ago, this is going to be a extra nice buggy. The lines are some of PJ's best to date. Several small refinements on a already tried and proven design. This proves that M & M is always striving to build a "better than the previous buggy"! PJ shared some of the ideas that was in the planning stages for Triple Threat's future and I can't wait for the finished piece! Some of you might call me "biased".......only because I know of what it takes to be approved at M&M!

It's come a long ways since I saw it last. Look forward to seeing the progress. I look more forward to seeing you back in a buggy!

. However, My road use will be limited. The majority will be the short 10 minute back woods commute to my local town, drag strip, and car shows.
Build specs
CTSV LS6 engine with mods.......450hp
th400
atlas
tons
43 sx's
Twisted stitch seats
Rolled tube accents

Now to the pics
View attachment 58971View attachment 58972View attachment 58973

Vin # and title? I'm guessing if so under something older pre-emisions and safety reg. .? I'm always impressed by your work. If you get this worked out as a legal beagle my impressed status might grow to hero worship.

No rear steer?? Say it isn't so

Ive always subscribed to the wheeler/streeter theory and I think you'll really dig it. Ive never seen the point in having a rig that you couldn't drive on the road if you absolutely needed to.

Ive been thinking of doing this same thing for a while now... Planning to stick with full hydro? How deep are you planning to do with axle gears? Ive thought about 4l80 trans for the street aspect.

With the Custom car law being back in place, you could get it titled as such, but not sure that its as easy of a process as in the past. Mostly have to have reciepts and pics of everything.

Thanks guys. There are lots of reasons i want to at least ride a few miles safely on the road. I have been researching and will let you know what i find out as i go. I have a vin and title if it comes down to it but i really want to see what it takes to get it done as home built legally. Ass is low because of my custom wood suspension.

CIMG1788.JPG
CIMG1789.JPG
CIMG1787.JPG
CIMG1786.JPG
CIMG1785.JPG

Thanks guys. There are lots of reasons i want to at least ride a few miles safely on the road. I have been researching and will let you know what i find out as i go. I have a vin and title if it comes down to it but i really want to see what it takes to get it done as home built legally. Ass is low because of my custom wood suspension.

the gist is have receipts for all the parts..

go to DMV and submit for a home made car title.. they will have you fill out forms and then a DMV officer will come and look at it and usually at this point is when they ask for paperwork and receipts of all the parts.. sometimes they can be as picky as where did yo get steel and cost etc.. if engine is out of another vehicle you need bill of sale from where you bought it or title of car you took it out of..

this is how most custom vw rails buggies get titles and are on the road.. it will then be titles as a 2013 ( for example ) custom car.

but it must also meet DOT rules.. so make sure you read the rules on 4x4's and light height etc before the DMV guy shows up..

The curves in your new truss design look sweet! Everything else looks awesome too. :D

I have driven well designed systems on the road with good results. I still fill like a properly setup full hydro system is safer than the tons of old rag joint connections on old vehicles on the road. This from experience..

been doing some research. I have found no evidence that A proper full hydraulic system is illegal in NC. Then i Found this today. Interesting.
http://www.liftlaws.com/is_full_hydro_steering_street_legal.htm
"just has to be safe" welcome to north carolina

As he said. NC is very vague. From my checking in the past, it has to be free of leaks and "slop/play" and appear safe. Nothing is stated requiring mechanical linkage or against full hydro.

I have driven well designed systems on the road with good results. I still fill like a properly setup full hydro system is safer than the tons of old rag joint connections on old vehicles on the road. This from experience..

I would agree with this statement. And for driving backroads and short trips around town, a good full hydro system with the proper suspension geometery should work fine with no issues.

For some that are looking to run highway speeds or drive theirs a ton, this thread is a good read, as steering can get twitchy the faster you go: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1014416-steering-go-fast-rigs.html

Cool, looks good! Why is it called "Triple Threat"?

I was so consumed by the sheer awesomeness of the buggy I didn't even read it! LOL

As he said. NC is very vague. From my checking in the past, it has to be free of leaks and "slop/play" and appear safe. Nothing is stated requiring mechanical linkage or against full hydro.

I would agree with this statement. And for driving backroads and short trips around town, a good full hydro system with the proper suspension geometery should work fine with no issues.

NO CRAP, Well somebodies gonna see my junk going down I40 then. Seatbelts is all I lack and I got those and my harnesses. Mirrors and all lights go blinky with tag an I-surence because of Uwharrie. My hydro works perfect with some return to center because of a inline valving piece from my supplier. Sorry for the highjack but this thread just made my evening, any new pics PJ to make it over the top?

been busy. Twisted stitch seats, ori's and armrest for the kid.
CIMG1800.JPG
CIMG1801.JPG
CIMG1802.JPG
CIMG1803.JPG
CIMG1804.JPG
CIMG1805.JPG

PJ, I picked up a friend of mines Hummer H1 from Randy Torbitts shop and drove it over 50 miles at highway speeds. When I got to my buddy's I asked him what was being done to it(shop was closed). He told me he had Randy to convert it over to full hydro! I never knew the difference, he told me that was the reason I picked it up, I was the test! 65-70 mph and back roads with 42's with no slop and actual road feel!

That rear truss is really nice.
Josh has been driving his JK on the street with full hydro for 2 years now with zero issues so I wouldn't hesitate to do it

Back