Triton V10 or 6.0 Powerstroke

tominator

Damn, I hate to even do this but I am having difficulties trying to figure out what to get for a new to me tow rig. I have looked up pages and pages on specs, pros and cons on the two motors and different sites where people are saying the gasser is better than the diesel and then others that say the diesel is better than the gasser. The problem is, a lot of the stuff I am reading is from the other side of the country where they are towing up crazy 8% grade mountain passes or its farmers with a 20k # load saying their gasser did it better than their diesel blah blah blah.

The truck is the same body config and trim between the two for the same price...Ford F250, srw, 4WD, crewcab, shortbed, automatic. The gasser is a 2006 V10 with 105k miles and 4.30 gears, the diesel is a completely stock all original (non bulletproofed) 2005 6.0 diesel with 175k miles and the 3.73 gears. Before someone says 7.3 PSD and nothing else, I looked and I could not find one with the above config, stock without 400k miles in the same price range as the two trucks above.

The truck will be doing short (2-5hr) towing trips with a 10k # pull behind camper during the summer here in nc, va, sc and maybe tenn. and a 9k # load (2-4hr drives) with a mini ex and atv's to va and wv 12 times or so throughout the year. I know the load is not that big and many people do much more but the truck will be going through fancy gap anytime we are going to va and wv which would be a minimum of atleast 12 times a year.

So which one would you get? thanks in advance.

If you are aware of the common problems with the 6.0 and prepare to address/prevent them, they are not bad motors as most would have you believe. For the same price I'd probably go powerstroke.
But @snappy has nothing but praises for the V10. Many of my customers run them in fleets with great success, spending ALL of their service hooked to very heavy trailers.

Same price up front, but the V10 would be much easier when repairs/maintenance are needed.

Note: my input is worthless, I have no truck currently and have not owned either mentioned, but I'm awake and bored, and keep up with what's what in fantasy truck world so yeah....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, in 07, the v10 makes 457ftlbs at 3250rpm, and the 6.0 makes 570ftlbs at 2000rpms. The 6.0 will probably average 11-13mpg with that load and the v10 will get somewhere in the 8-10mpg range I would guess. Both will pull it just fine. I'd find a bulletproofed 6.0 with a 6spd manual and rock on. Regardless stick with the 05 and newer models for a multitude of reasons, main one being front coil suspension.

And if you're OK with the fuel mileage of the v10, consider a 6.4 diesel, as you can get them pretty cheap too and they have a much quieter cabin than the 6.0 generation.

You can find 6.0s already bulletproofed for not much more than one with a bone stock motor. I'd prefer to buy one already done, that way that couple of thousand dollars wasn't spent by you! I've seen several that were comparable in miles and features...why not buy the one that's had the issues fixed?

What kind of price range are you looking at? I'm usually pretty good at finding good deals on stuff that I don't want to buy.

After working on many a 6.0 even working on some that had already had the "bulletproofing" done I would say stay far away. Anything will do better and be cheaper in the long run than a 6.0 powerstroke.

You say the trucks are the same price, but you need to add $5,000 to the cost of the 6.0 truck.

I've towed a lot with both a V10 and a 6.0.
Without a shred of doubt I'd go with the V10.

All a V10 needs is good brakes so you can hit frequent exit ramps for refueling. I towed approx 7k with one for about 3 years with no issues. With a better Y pipe they breathe quite well. Since the one you're looking at already has the 4.30 gears, you'll be in the sweet spot as far as RPMs go for towing.
Let it rev and don't be afraid to let it eat.

I like my 6.0 a lot. A V10 would do just fine too though, but I would rather have my 6.0 then a V10.

Basically you are going to get a lot of opinions both ways.

What speed do you like to tow at?

I've had multiple 6.0s in the past and had success with both and no major issues other than needing new injectors at 320k mikes.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Actually, I'm looking at another one because it's a great, affordable tow rig option.

I've never owned a V10 but have driven a few. I wasn't impressed but it can be another affordable option for towing.

And if you're OK with the fuel mileage of the v10, consider a 6.4 diesel, as you can get them pretty cheap too and they have a much quieter cabin than the 6.0 generation.

From what I understand, the 6.4 is the one to really stay away from. My buddy works at a diesel shop that specializes in Ford stuff, and he sees them broke all the time. I believe breaking cranks. At least the 6.0 is not catastrophic when it breaks, most of the time. Otherwise, I have nothing for this conversation.

From what I understand, the 6.4 is the one to really stay away from. My buddy works at a diesel shop that specializes in Ford stuff, and he sees them broke all the time. I believe breaking cranks. At least the 6.0 is not catastrophic when it breaks, most of the time. Otherwise, I have nothing for this conversation.

Also, from what I understand, by the time the 6.4 is out of warranty and deleted most of the damage is done. The re-gen is burnt of from the back 2 cylinders and those two are usually pretty burnt up after 60k+ miles with the DPF.
Not to mention most 6.4s I see are still $25k

My 6.4 has 330k miles on it and @Ron can vouch for how well it runs. There's a horror story for every motor out there. I've got a broke Cummins 4B sitting in my shop, but I don't think they are junk.

Whats really funny is the 6.0 and the 6.4 use the same crankshaft.
Same 4.134 Stroke.
6.0 has a 3.74 bore and the 6.4 has a 3.87 bore.
6.4 is TT

But that's more Flat Bill Bro Science.
Just like TTY head bolts being the debil as it relates to a 6.0. Whats that? 7.3 and Cummins 5.9s use TTY head bolts? Unpossible.

Take your pick there are good and bad in every make.

I suspect if anyone would actually publish the data the NMTF among all the big 3 are within 2 percentage points.

Whats really funny is the 6.0 and the 6.4 use the same crankshaft.
Same 4.134 Stroke.
6.0 has a 3.74 bore and the 6.4 has a 3.87 bore.
6.4 is TT

"Same" crankshaft? Or "crankshafts with similar stroke specifications"?

Because the 6.4 has a strong reputation for dropping the bottom end, and has for years. Lots of bent rods.

6.4 is twin turbo'ed.
6.0 is single.

many of the 6.4 problems stem from the DPF/DEF system, or more accurately the redneck removal of said systems.

When you get under the hood of R&D even at some of the "big" aftermarket performance companies and see what qualifies as R&D....let's just say its lacking.

From my CMI days...I know when we first released DPF vehicles there was a myriad on controls that went in during burn off. Including variable fuel timing, injector pulse width heck even injection pressure was altered only during regen to maximize atomization.

The first tiem they got hold of an aftermarket programmer that prevented CEL on DPF vehicles....there was literally laughter for days around the office. They recreated the symptoms but totally missed the causes. Those same "solutions" ar sold today, unchanged. Then the engines fail and....No sir. Ive never tuned this truck. Never. Really? because your key has cycled 3,400 times yet your engine has only cranked 18....in a year of ownership.

Then the owner wont admit what they did. Starts a blog and blasts the company.

Now Im talking CMI diesels specifically there, because I've never been employed by Ford nor International but you can bet your ass the same applies.

6.4 is twin turbo'ed.
6.0 is single.

many of the 6.4 problems stem from the DPF/DEF system, or more accurately the redneck removal of said systems.

When you get under the hood of R&D even at some of the "big" aftermarket performance companies and see what qualifies as R&D....let's just say its lacking.

From my CMI days...I know when we first released DPF vehicles there was a myriad on controls that went in during burn off. Including variable fuel timing, injector pulse width heck even injection pressure was altered only during regen to maximize atomization.

The first tiem they got hold of an aftermarket programmer that prevented CEL on DPF vehicles....there was literally laughter for days around the office. They recreated the symptoms but totally missed the causes. Those same "solutions" ar sold today, unchanged. Then the engines fail and....No sir. Ive never tuned this truck. Never. Really? because your key has cycled 3,400 times yet your engine has only cranked 18....in a year of ownership.

Then the owner wont admit what they did. Starts a blog and blasts the company.

Now Im talking CMI diesels specifically there, because I've never been employed by Ford nor International but you can bet your ass the same applies.

So now tuners are the cause of EGR cooler failures?

I worked on a lot of mod motors up until 2010 when I left the Ford dealership and went into the Army. Those mod motors I've seen some good reliability out of them. But if you abuse and neglect it, you're gonna have issues.

Coils, high pressure oil port leaks on the starter, spark plugs blowing out, and intake gaskets are the majority of work I did on them.

Having said that, a 6.0 does have its issues, early tuners were putting too much timing in them and blowing head gaskets and well that EGR cooler is a POS. But you can't drive the shit out of them, and you can't baby it or the vanes in the turbo get frozen up. All the common failures can be remedied. I personally wouldn't be afraid of either if stock or bullet proof and the owner didn't drive the shit out of it.

The 6.4s I've been into were fleet vehicles mainly.

The 99 V10 apparently had a larger Y pipe but it attributed to "flutter" or a droning sound. The 2000-newer had a more restrictive Y and "fixed" the flutter but effected performance.

I looked at a MINT 2004 F250 ext cab Std bed 4x4 with a V10 before buying my 6.0

I drove it, and drove it HARD to get a feel for it, and I was very disappointed. It was anemic to say the least. I have no idea how it performs towing but with just the weight of the truck, it was unimpressive to say the least. I thought maybe it was THAT truck, so I drove a long bed crew cab 4x4 V10...same results.

Around the same time Pops had a 2001 28 ft Class C camper with the V10. I took it to VIR to race my motorcycle one weekend. Pulling a 5x8 enclosed, it cost me $150 in fuel, I averaged 4.5mpg

From what I understand from Scott at Trucksunlimted the 6.4 is WORSE for head gasket failure than the 6.0

Another mechanic that's worked on quite a few powerstrokes told me he's replaced MANY more 6.4's than 6.0's (bottom ends blowing out) and he made a generalization that the 6.4 is good for about 150k and then it's time for a new motor. Yes..very broad statement, yes there are exceptions, but he was speaking from his own experiences only. YMMV

I've had issues with MY 6.0 and taken steps. None of which I regret. Because in the end, while I don't have the amazing and awesome 35mpg 7bajillion HP cummins engine all the fanboys have made 3x the worth price, I also do not have that heap of shit that surrounds it, nor a truck payment.

Last edited:
I had an 01 (IIRC) Excursion 4x4 with a V10 back in our ECORS and NMRA racing days. It averaged around 8-10 empty and 7-8 while towing. It was by no means a powerhouse but it got me wherever I pointed it. Fuel mileage sucked,but the maintenance costs were next to nothing.
The biggest thing to get used to was allowing it to scream above 4k when needed. Pulling Old Fort, Saluda and Duffield meant kicking it down and letting it rev.

I added a bigger Y pipe and a Magnaflow along with a Superchips tuner and was pleased with how it towed.

Because in the end, while I don't have the amazing and awesome 35mpg 7bajillion HP cummins engine all the fanboys have made 3x the worth price, I also do not have that heap of shit that surrounds it

You go ahead and believe whatever lets you sleep at night. I'll wait for you at the top.

I don't much care for the Fords but a bulletproofed 6.0 is a dam tough truck....If you but one that hasn't already been fixed then I would have 5-6 on had for repairs (new heads and all that jazz). The 6.4 trucks are shit. They have way more expensive failures. Most die hard Power stroke mechanics saw that anything after the 6.0 isn't designed to repaired...just replaced
Get a chevy gasser

So now tuners are the cause of EGR cooler failures?
No that'd be the epa.

In defense to the 6.0 I've heard that the medium duty trucks that had the international version (dt366) didn't have near the egr cooler failures.

Could be the fact people lug the bastards down so much where they produce a metric fuck ton of soot (not to be confused with the standard fuck ton)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back