As the letter says, send your comments to:

Theresa Savery, Recreation Staff
Uwharrie National FOrest Service
789 NC Highway 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371
tsavery@fs.fed.us

Lake View Doc.jpg

Lake View Map.jpg

We need to change the board settings so I can "like" this more than once!

nice. Is this the old trail @drkelly keeps bringing up? I rode some of these, but can't remember any names, besides Goldmine which was pseudo-replaced with Daniel.

Haven't we been hearing they are working on this trail for years and that it would be opening every year for the past couple years?

Yes, it has been in the works for several years. Special thanks go to everyone who participated in the Trail Strategy Planning Meeting Working Group that worked on this project with the USFS and facilitated this result!

nice. Is this the old trail @drkelly keeps bringing up? I rode some of these, but can't remember any names, besides Goldmine which was pseudo-replaced with Daniel.

Yep, the new Lake View trail is what used to be Big Branch or Long Branch. I remember camping off that trail and riding it on my dirt bike back in the early-mid 90's.

Gold Mine and Daniel were both open back then. Daniel was a motorcycle only trail. It had two large steel posts in the ground about two feet apart at the trail entrance to prevent anything but motorcycles from fitting through. Gold Mine was Jeep width. After they closed Gold Mine they made Daniel wide enough for a Jeep to go up.

Yep, the new Lake View trail is what used to be Big Branch or Long Branch. I remember camping off that trail and riding it on my dirt bike back in the early-mid 90's.

Gold Mine and Daniel were both open back then. Daniel was a motorcycle only trail. It had two large steel posts in the ground about two feet apart at the trail entrance to prevent anything but motorcycles from fitting through. Gold Mine was Jeep width. After they closed Gold Mine they made Daniel wide enough for a Jeep to go up.
Sounds like the good old days

Just a small update from a person going to these meetings.

I do not yet know what the rating will be. After walking it a few times I would not call it hard.

We have another goal of setting up a natural rock garden by the end of the trail so people can watch others play and not tie up a trail or make it wider. It will be fenced off from the get go so as to not make it wider.

Please come out to the open meetings to help us out. It is only with volunteers doing this right now that we can get things going in " our " direction we want.

Open meeting will be coming up in the next month or 2.

Just a small update from a person going to these meetings.

I do not yet know what the rating will be. After walking it a few times I would not call it hard.

We have another goal of setting up a natural rock garden by the end of the trail so people can watch others play and not tie up a trail or make it wider. It will be fenced off from the get go so as to not make it wider.

Please come out to the open meetings to help us out. It is only with volunteers doing this right now that we can get things going in " our " direction we want.

Open meeting will be coming up in the next month or 2.
Keep me posted on the meetings, you've grabbed my attention. [emoji44]

The next one will be open to all, I do know that.

BTW , TJC is a huge supporter of these meetings. They have stepped up big time to help Uwharrie in any way shape or form they can. I really hope to try and get more clubs involved with stuff like this. Thanks TJC.

Whats the difficulty rating for this trail going to be?

I remember the old trail in that area being similar to the Falls Dam trail that goes off the other side of that mountain.

A rock garden would be a pretty cool addition

What are the next steps on this? That is to say, I saw reference in the FOU Facebook post that only funds were needed... is this indeed the case, and if so is there a plan in motion to raise/secure said funds? I guess I'm really just trying to get a feel for whether or not there is anything in particular individuals such as myself and/or other enthusiasts can do specifically at this point that would help turn this vision into reality...?

Seems to be that I have heard that the requests for funds might be approved, but we might need to help on something else first if we can which is going to piss some folks off but it is reality and needs to be done down the road sooner than never. That is for a different day / post though.

Needless to say we are getting closer to getting a new trail started. That is a plus in my book.

Seems to be that I have heard that the requests for funds might be approved, but we might need to help on something else first if we can which is going to piss some folks off but it is reality and needs to be done down the road sooner than never. That is for a different day / post though.

Needless to say we are getting closer to getting a new trail started. That is a plus in my book.
Good to hear.

Back