Uwharrie OHV Lakeview Trail To Be Developed

Is it true the mudhole is going to be covered up?
It's a shame that we get NO info from anywhere. I would not be surprised if it is. The FS and "ENVIRONMENTAL" groups hate users running through water or mud. The whole park has safeguards against streams, water, and runoff being disturbed and this one hole is self contained but they just can't let it be.
FOU, what say you? I thought FOU was started to be a liaison between users and FS, is that a wrong assumption?

It works best if you just go to the source and ask directly. I emailed Theresa Savery this morning after seeing this thread, and asked specifically about the Lake View trail. She replied back 25 minutes later. She said they are still waiting on the grant money from the state trails program. Once the funds arrive, they will send out their package for bids from contractors. They hope to start construction this summer.

Is there even a FOU anymore?

It works best if you just go to the source and ask directly. I emailed Theresa Savery this morning after seeing this thread, and asked specifically about the Lake View trail. She replied back 25 minutes later. She said they are still waiting on the grant money from the state trails program. Once the funds arrive, they will send out their package for bids from contractors. They hope to start construction this summer.
and this is the other frustrating thing.
Anyone in construction knows you dont wait until you have the money to solicit bids.
Everyday costs increase. And the bid, award and contracting phase takes time.

You solicit bids, select vendors, negotiate terms and then hold contract award for final funding.

Not with gov funding. With the exception of bonds, the money has to be available before taking bids. This has been my experience with fed/state/local funding for 23 yrs anyway

Not with gov funding. With the exception of bonds, the money has to be available before taking bids. This has been my experience with fed/state/local funding for 23 yrs anyway

fair enough. didnt know that.

Honestly, it seems like every time anything has been said about Lakeview Loop that it is always a project that will be done "next year" which seems to be a moving target each year. I think that one day it will be completed but I am betting that day is farther off than any of us think.

When I wrote her on Aug 24th, 2016, she replied that the Lakeview Trail had been approved for a grant and that they had submitted their final environmental analysis and decision documents to the State Trails Program letting them know that they were ready to receive the grant funds. In her email today, she also said that there is a meeting on 4/24/17 (next Monday) with the State Trails Program Manager to discuss the Lakeview Trail and the rest of the grant projects that are planned for the North Carolina National Forests. Hopefully this new trail will happen this year.

If anyone wants to ask her anything, her email is in the first post of this thread. That is where I think I originally got it from. I'm a nobody. I'm just a guy who likes to go wheeling at Uwharrie and I reached out to her last year for the first time to provide my thoughts on the ORV trail system at Uwharrie.

When I wrote her on Aug 24th, 2016, she replied that the Lakeview Trail had been approved for a grant and that they had submitted their final environmental analysis and decision documents to the State Trails Program letting them know that they were ready to receive the grant funds. In her email today, she also said that there is a meeting on 4/24/17 (next Monday) with the State Trails Program Manager to discuss the Lakeview Trail and the rest of the grant projects that are planned for the North Carolina National Forests. Hopefully this new trail will happen this year.

If anyone wants to ask her anything, her email is in the first post of this thread. That is where I think I originally got it from. I'm a nobody. I'm just a guy who likes to go wheeling at Uwharrie and I reached out to her last year for the first time to provide my thoughts on the ORV trail system at Uwharrie.
I have had several email conversations with Terry concerning this and some other projects. CORE has matching funds earmarked for them and I have followed up several times to follow the progress, or lack thereof. My frustration comes from the never ending "dangling of the carrot" for a new trial or trail upgrades when in reality we have lost trail mileage and have had stricter sanctions imposed such as no camping on trails anymore, loss of mudhole, etc.

I have had several email conversations with Terry concerning this and some other projects. CORE has matching funds earmarked for them and I have followed up several times to follow the progress, or lack thereof. My frustration comes from the never ending "dangling of the carrot" for a new trial or trail upgrades when in reality we have lost trail mileage and have had stricter sanctions imposed such as no camping on trails anymore, loss of mudhole, etc.

I hear you. I've been going to Uwharrie since 1990, and have seen several trails closed, but zero new ones opened. I always preferred to camp on the trails.

...had stricter sanctions imposed such as no camping on trails anymore, loss of mudhole, etc.

Has the FS already gone ahead and put a restriction on primitive camping along the OHV trails? I heard someone mention something about this at the spring Jamboree, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive (like a statement on any of the www.fs.usda.gov pages).

any update on this???

Construction is slated to start soon (before the end of the year) with a projected opening date of 2019 is what I last heard.

So did this actually take off? I’d like to travel it on foot when I am down there this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, If it happens, it takes 18 months to create 1 four wheel drive trail?:shaking:
Just get some guys on 4wheelers out there. They can create a 20ft wide, 200ft long bypass in an afternoon.

I emailed Mrs Savery this morning and asked about the Lakeview Trail. She has already replied, and here is her response:

We have not received the grant funding from the state yet. We are working on several other grant projects and when we get them completed we’ll be able to get the funds from the state to do the Lakeview Trail Project.

I emailed Mrs Savery this morning and asked about the Lakeview Trail. She has already replied, and here is her response:

We have not received the grant funding from the state yet. We are working on several other grant projects and when we get them completed we’ll be able to get the funds from the state to do the Lakeview Trail Project.
I've gotten this answer several times over the past few years...

I've gotten this answer several times over the past few years...

Dang politics. Have they even surveyed the exact route?

It would be cool to see the wheeling community actually cut the trail but I am going to assume too much red tape before that would ever happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back