Uwharrie Trail Work Day #7, October 16th

Will you be attending Work Day #7?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Based on what we know which isn't very much at all, here is what to expect:

WORK LOAD:

If everything has been completed by the Contractors including the Falls Dam work that just got underway, the bridges on Dickey Bell and Rocky Mnt. Loop etc this should be a heavy work load day. Nothing has been written it stone, but the new Auger should be getting its break in run with guard railing to put up. No promises, but as a full blown Fall work day if everything is on track guard railing will be going in.

SCHEDULE:

8AM - OUTPOST BREAKFAST
9AM - MEET AT HUNT CAMP
1PM - 1:30PM - LUNCH AT THE DOUBLE PARKING LOT
3PM - PENDING THE GROUP MORE TRAIL WORK AND/OR TRAIL RIDES

LODGING:

As always there will be free camping offered for the volunteers. There are Cabin rentals available in the area for those not interested in camping.

FUTURE/OTHER WORK:

Everything hinges on that the contractors are done at this point. And from there the next hurdle is the Rockvember event corresponding with the next work day. We have to organize a work day around a massive event, which is no simple task. I understand most people don't like to hear the word safety, but its going to be a major concern with that many people out there. From that point the December work day hasn't even been confirmed yet. If it is, it will be an off-season work day which will hopefully mean a heavy work load.

What the F is Rockvember? Where will guard rail be getting put up on DB?

What the F is Rockvember? Where will guard rail be getting put up on DB?
I don't know if there will be any guard railing to be put up on Dickey Bell. Sorry that I can't help you there. Terry Savery only mentioned about guard railing on Rocky Mnt. Loop and Falls Dam. This doesn't mean that there won't be guard railing to put up on Dickey Bell, it just means I don't know at this point. If you want I would be more than happy to see what I can find out.

The Rockvember event is the huge (well fairly large event) that takes place on the trails and at the stables. Last year was the first time it was held, and they had a big turn out. They even had special permits to allow buggies/un-tagged vehicles on some of the FS Roads.

Again, what is the event? Just a bunch of wheelers on the trails? Time trials?

dates are November 19th - November 21st, @ the same place, and the flyers and Itinerary will be coming out VERY Soon!!!!!
This is going to be there second year out for this event and from what I've been told about it, if its anywhere as successful as last year there is no way you can have a work day scheduled. Besides I'm guessing most people would be attending this event anyway IMO

There are a bunch of people on the trails plus they have mud bog races, rock crawling, raffles, live music, etc at the stables. Its to support the families of our troops, so and its sponsored by a couple big names.

There are plenty of ways we can use the big crowds to our advantage. Because its an official work day set up by the FS it will happen with our without Rockvember.

im there if nothing comes ups. im back on 3rd shift at work sunday thru thursday so ill be able to go down friday, camp out and meet up at the post saturday morning. looking forward to it!

There are a bunch of people on the trails plus they have mud bog races, rock crawling, raffles, live music, etc at the stables. Its to support the families of our troops, so and its sponsored by a couple big names.
There are plenty of ways we can use the big crowds to our advantage. Because its an official work day set up by the FS it will happen with our without Rockvember.

Well if your talking an information booth to spread the word and hand out flyers then your probably good. Official work day or not The FS still needs volunteers to work so we have a say in this no volunteers no work day. And if you do get people to show up and work the trails that day we won't be wining anyone over by blocking the trails on a day like this one. I agree there is a huge opportunity to get the message out to a lot of people about volunteering on the trail and I think that is were your focus should be for November. The event is sponsored by Rick Hendrick Toyota Fayetteville NC and last year they raised a ton of money for the troops and hopefully they will do even better this year.

It is something we will have to sit down and talk to the Forest Service about. I all ready sent an e-mail to Terry Savery a couple months back about it, but never got a solid reply from her on it.

I also was contacted at one point about working a trash pickup into the Rockvember event. And this was before we knew the event was going to fall on the same weekend as the work day.

You also have to consider the reality of this year there are only 2 confirmed work days left. October and November. There may be a December work day, but its listed as TBD. The contractor work has delayed us in putting up guard railing, not to mention the general rule of the summer months of no heavy labor. So we need to make the last 2 (or possibly 3) work days count. If we axe the November work day that leaves only 1 guaranteed work day to get a large amount of work done. And right now we don't even know if the contractors will be done by the time that work day rolls around.

Just a couple things to consider. Best case scenario I guess would be to have the Forest Service push the work day back a weekend.

Eli, there is an old saying: "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." It is my opinion that you, and others, have made an admirable effort this season of trying to pitch in and do your part. There is also another old saying: "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." You, and others have offered the help... the forest service just doesn't appear to be overly enthused about it. Maybe it's time to move on, and find something new to concern yourself over.

It doesn't matter to me what we do. I will be there to have my hours counted. We did Daniel this last workday. So we got to have a BLAST and all of our hours count to going back in the ORV system. We got several bags of trash, and barricaded one illegal bypass.

I'll always show up and be ready to do WHATEVER. I don't care if it's just ride the trails and look out for stuff" or put up 40 tons of guardrail, either way, I'll be there and do it.

I know lotsa people don't feature NOT doing work, but even on the slowest/laziest of work days the ORV system gets those hours no matter how much we sweat or break our backs and I think that's what it all boils down to.

Sure, we are currently a underutilized resource, but if we can keep up a steady volunteer number each workday they may look to us to do more stuff.

:beer::beer::beer:

Brian, the tone of your post makes me think you are on the defensive... you do not need to be... I am not campaigning against you. Based on parts of Eli's last post...

The contractor work has delayed us in putting up guard railing, not to mention the general rule of the summer months of no heavy labor. So we need to make the last 2 (or possibly 3) work days count. If we axe the November work day that leaves only 1 guaranteed work day to get a large amount of work done. And right now we don't even know if the contractors will be done by the time that work day rolls around.
Just a couple things to consider. Best case scenario I guess would be to have the Forest Service push the work day back a weekend.

... it just sounds like there is a whole lot of worry that there is not enough time left to get everything done... or we can't meet the deadline. It is simply not the volunteer workday crew's fault that the planning has not been up to par. That said, I am only suggesting, mainly to Eli, that maybe it's time to stop worrying over something that is obviously beyond your control. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes. I think you guys have made a great effort, and I am on your side. However, I don't want to see y'all burnt out before the thing ever gets off the ground. That's all...

Brian, the tone of your post makes me think you are on the defensive... you do not need to be... I am not campaigning against you. Based on parts of Eli's last post...

... it just sounds like there is a whole lot of worry that there is not enough time left to get everything done... or we can't meet the deadline. It is simply not the volunteer workday crew's fault that the planning has not been up to par. That said, I am only suggesting, mainly to Eli, that maybe it's time to stop worrying over something that is obviously beyond your control. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes. I think you guys have made a great effort, and I am on your side. However, I don't want to see y'all burnt out before the thing ever gets off the ground. That's all...

Not at all. I have a lot of enthusiasm for the volunteer program because it SHOWS that people are interested in keeping the ORV system around. I've never gotten involved in anything up till now, and I enjoy it greatly.

I want to help as much as I can, and I have not been bothered in the least by the lack of work on the work days, which still benefits ALL of us.

I'd love for you to make another one though, cause I learn a lot by sorta standing back and listening, or watching.

I'd love for you to make another one though, cause I learn a lot by sorta standing back and listening, or watching.

You will see me there again, but I have a full schedule for October, plus the October workday conflicts with CNC's Fall Bash which I definitely hope to attend. Maybe, November. :)

Here is the Forest Service e-mail:

Hi Everyone - Sorry about last month's lack of communication. It was one of those months. For the next work weekend on Oct 16th we'll be installing hay bales at the outflow ditches and digging out the outflow ditches on the trails. Pete & I will meet you at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. Please let Janet & I know if you'll need camping. Also, let me know if your clubs will be or won't be coming up & about how many folks you think you'll have. If you'll need shovels, sledge hammers and other hand tools meet up with Janet either Friday evening or Saturday morning (before 9 am) to sign them out. Thanks a lot everyone. See you soon. Bye - Terry
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests of North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371-9332

Kind of odd because usually her e-mails include club/group specifics. I have been going through insanity with Jury duty, and a broken down truck but I will get in contact with Terry and try to get some specifics from her. I have to talk to Janet anyway so I will ask her also. I won't jump to any conclusions until I find out a couple things as far as the work load is concerned.

Hi Eli. Looks like its no on rails/ yes on haybales= their lighter. I fell Nov. Workday should take a backseat to the Event. Volunteers might be wanting to attend Event.

Hey Eli, I believe Nov. workday should take a backseat to the Event, which surly some volunteers will want to be a part of. If Forest Ser. is concerened with Guard Rails, they can give us a Dec. date. If the contractors are behind, the FS should hold them responsible. Let them put up Guard Rails. Rodney P.S. Hope to attend WD#7

@ Rodney: I see a huge gap between your 2 paragraphs, plus it looks like part of the 1st paragraph got copied into the 2nd. Maybe something happened to your post?

But yes I got the Forest Service e-mail, I quoted what Terry Sent in my last reply on the previous page. I think JC also posted a separate thread with the e-mail quoted. I remember haybales were supposed to go in last time, but the posts had been eaten up by termites I think it was the FS said.

I don't know about the guard railing. She didn't mention it in the e-mail, but I plan on talking to her about it before the work day rolls around. On a prior work day we weren't supposed to mess with the guard railing at first, but I talked with Terry and Janet and got the go ahead to at least drag some of it back off the trail to prevent theft. I am not saying we will get to put in guard railing, but I want to at least present the idea/talk it over with Terry and/or Janet and see what answers/feedback I get. Because each month they say "Next month we will get to put the guard railing in". :beer:

cnc4x4 is having our fall bash that weekend.. we will be doing trail clean up, etc on Friday but Saturday we will be riding the trails. ( we use this event to bring out new folks and teach them what there vehicles can do )

Cant make this one, I have some motorcycle sellin bidness to attend to . Hope to make Nov.

Looks like I'll miss this one because I'm moving. Also my lift is in and I have to get it installed. Yall try to get along without me.

I'll be there, and I don't understand the negitive responces. The FS is overwhelmed by the turnout on the workdays. And I'm hearing this from them TODAY, Oct. 8th! 38 volenteers for one day is exceptional! Don, if I'm missing something please educate me on this. 336-768-8504

I'll be there, and I don't understand the negitive responces. The FS is overwhelmed by the turnout on the workdays. And I'm hearing this from them TODAY, Oct. 8th! 38 volenteers for one day is exceptional! Don, if I'm missing something please educate me on this. 336-768-8504

Terry, I'm not sure what you are asking me... in Eli's post (#9), I sensed worry over a huge amount of work that needed to be done, but only one workday left to accomplish it. Who's fault is that? Eli's and the work crew? I think not. The workdays I have attended this year have accomplished very little as the FS had very little planned. The FS should be overwhelmed by the turnout. They could show it better by giving these eager folks (38 volunteers as you stated) something worthwhile to do other than unorganized trash pickup. I don't think that is a negative comment... just a fact. Go read my posts again and focus on (#12).

You will always have a few who will show up for workdays regardless, but you will see the numbers dropping out if they lack interest and enthusiasm. I know that firsthand, I attended workdays faithfully for quite a few years.

Eli, there is an old saying: "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." It is my opinion that you, and others, have made an admirable effort this season of trying to pitch in and do your part. There is also another old saying: "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." You, and others have offered the help... the forest service just doesn't appear to be overly enthused about it. Maybe it's time to move on, and find something new to concern yourself over.
!

Well here is the latest FS E-mail, I know JC Posted it in another thread but here it is:

Hi Everyone - Please let me know asap if your club is planning on coming up this Saturday, October 16th for a work day. So far I've heard only for two clubs and they are planning on coming up on Oct 23rd so if no other clubs are planning on coming up this Saturday or could easily switch to come up on the Oct 23rd weekend I'd like to switch the work weekend to next week. I want to make sure that we maximize our effectiveness out there and I don't want to burn out our staff either by working too many weekends in a row. Please respond to me by Thursday afternoon.

For the work weekend we're planning at putting in guardrail on Falls Dam Trail and Rocky Mountain Loop Trail. We're planning on cleaning out tail ditches and replacing haybales in the tail ditches on many trails and taking down hazard trees on trails.

Also, for those of you that would like to take the chainsaw certification training we are planning to have 3 sessions this winter when the OHV trails are closed. They'll most likely be on Fridays & Saturdays. They are 2 day sessions and Rodney can only have 6 people in a class. We'll begin them some time in January. We'll send out a schedule in mid- November and it'll include the items you should bring too. Thanks for your patience and willingness to volunteer and to take this training. We appreciate it.

Bye - Terry
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests of North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371-9332

Well I am not seeing our group listed on here. So I will have to give her another call. I guess it boils down to what the other 5 people want to do.

- 77 Green Machine
- oleblue
- 89Runner
- up-n-over
- Terry The Hot Dog Guy

I don't have a running trail rig right now, but I would show up in the car if I had to for this weekend. But a lot of people have cancelled. Something to think about.

Back