Warrior's shop build....wiring and building my shop thread

Looks awesome man, I finally get my funds next week to be able to start my shop

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I had a great estimate of the total....I figured everything 10 to 15 percent high for wiggle....I am out of wiggle! Good luck, having a shop of my on is extremely rewarding to me. I have been working out of sheds, storage buildings, rented space and such for too long.

The heavy snow has made me aware of a big problem.

My industrial gutter where not tied into the building correctly. I've climbed a ladder up to the eves to discover they did not tie in the outer edge back to the roof. The snow is pushing and buckling the gutters.

The web sight says only one year warranty on deffects or such....I've placed phone calls and I guess everybody is snowed in. No returns.

Of course no snow guards either.

I'm definitely ill about this lack of attention. I guess a customer is expected to climb on the roof and inspect the intallation...

Any recommendations?

Particular snow guards?

Gonna have to see what gets damaged.

We use sno gem products. I prefer their bar systems.

We use sno gem products. I prefer their bar systems.
1544472547440-1763371842.jpg
15444726192741802705028.jpg
Was this supposed to be my gutter ties?
Right where I climbed up was one.....of course the end on the outer side wasn't attached to the gutter. But it was spanning the opening. Like awe fawk it no body will see it?

@YotaOnRocks do you work for a steel building installer/seller? I really want to get a shed roof worked out and match best as possible.
But, I'm done with these guys.

Might need some pro help on this mess as well.

@YotaOnRocks do you work for a steel building installer/seller? I really want to get a shed roof worked out and match best as possible.
But, I'm done with these guys.

Might need some pro help on this mess as well.
I work for my brother in law. We do commercial construction but specialize in metal roofing.

View attachment 281772
View attachment 281773
Was this supposed to be my gutter ties?
Right where I climbed up was one.....of course the end on the outer side wasn't attached to the gutter. But it was spanning the opening. Like awe fawk it no body will see it?
Looks like it. 2 screws into the roof and one into the top lip of the front of the gutter. I put them every other rib.

And make sure butyl tape is applied to the bottom of the hanger to keep it leak free.

The heavy snow has made me aware of a big problem.

My industrial gutter where not tied into the building correctly. I've climbed a ladder up to the eves to discover they did not tie in the outer edge back to the roof. The snow is pushing and buckling the gutters.

The web sight says only one year warranty on deffects or such....I've placed phone calls and I guess everybody is snowed in. No returns.

Of course no snow guards either.

I'm definitely ill about this lack of attention. I guess a customer is expected to climb on the roof and inspect the intallation...

Warranty should cover defects, not lack of actually installing something.

They should come back and fix the gutters like you paid for originally.

Last edited:
@YotaOnRocks. @rockcity. Well my family hates me right now. We just finished clearing the first 5 feet of snow off the roof. Me from a step ladder. My wife and son where both helping hold the ladder.

So the roof has those ties. I happen to find the one and only not screwed correctly.

Now the frequency of attachment is on maybe every fith high profile of the rib.

So what is spec? Look at my prints I guess?
And specifically I miss understood some of the warrantee reply...other than they should fix it.

To me the worst is all but a few are compromised.

Looking for recomendations for a 18 foot lean too added down the length of my shop.

Want it done right and want 16 feet clear span. This leaves a 2 foot over hang.

Was considering doing myself. I have decided to stick with what I do best and hire it out.

Needs to match current....

Looking for recomendations for a 18 foot lean too added down the length of my shop.

Want it done right and want 16 feet clear span. This leaves a 2 foot over hang.

Was considering doing myself. I have decided to stick with what I do best and hire it out.

Needs to match current....
If you plan to leave it open walls I'd just do it yourself but if you plan to close it in I'd just hire it out. I'll see if I can find you a link to some sweet trusses that are pretty cost effective for a lean too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you plan to leave it open walls I'd just do it yourself but if you plan to close it in I'd just hire it out. I'll see if I can find you a link to some sweet trusses that are pretty cost effective for a lean too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I would rather do it my self. Everyone from the building keeps hollering load bearing and don't tie it in. I'm like what did I get a tin can? The other side of that is I don't want it looking like a bandaid. I sort of struggle with the need for it to look right at home and never performing that kind of work.

Unless I'm mistaken all you have to tie into on the building are the wind girts and they're not going to hold much weight. The siding would be holding up your load against the building. You might just have to build a lean to with posts in all 4 corners and just have it but up against the wall.

Everyone from the building keeps hollering load bearing and don't tie it in. I'm like what did I get a tin can?

It's likely just a liability issue that they don't WANT. (see also Fuller thread on structures)

With the recent collapses from snow load I can see their apprehension to tell you that you can even hang a coat on that wall.

You might just have to build a lean to with posts in all 4 corners and just have it but up against the wall.
That's what I would do personally. Tie the posts next to the building to the actual building with hurricane straps (or some similar way) to allow expansion but not a great deal of independent sway.

*note: Not a structural engineer or GC. And it's been nearly 23 years since physics, materials and methods, statics, dynamics, strength of materials

I would rather do it my self. Everyone from the building keeps hollering load bearing and don't tie it in. I'm like what did I get a tin can?

If it's not on the original drawings, it's not designed to support the load.

allow expansion but not a great deal of independent sway

Then you're depending on the existing building to carry the lateral load of the lean to. It's probably not designed for that load.

I would honestly LIKE to hire someone that could draw what I need and me build it. Researching The Miracle Tresses and the like have made me leery of using them. I really want a 15 foot open clear space of the lean-to with an additional three foot cantilever overhang. The building design inside does not allow for connecting right below the eve as @shawn stated it was not designed for that purpose.

I have personally kicked myself in the butt for not ordering a building with this in mind. My salesman talked me out of it stating that it would be much cheaper to add a lean-to.
I did not realize that I was talking to someone with a "fuller" personality.

My last conversation with the building supplier stated their crew could put me together something that would be functional but not engineered. It occurred to me that this would be a project of leftovers and various construction methods.

I want it to be done correctly.

Then you're depending on the existing building to carry the lateral load of the lean to. It's probably not designed for that load.
That's not what I meant. X bracing the lean-to to support itself, but with it being wood (assuming he'd go with wood posts), and right up against the red iron building it would expand/contract at a different rate than the adjacent all steel structure. Without some connection to the building itself, there may be opportunities for bumping.

But..I'm not as qualified as fuller in these areas, so I am certainly not to be listened to with any authority on this

Last edited:
That's not what I meant. X bracing the lean-to to support itself, but with it being wood (assuming he'd go with wood posts), and right up against the red iron building it would expand/contract at a different rate than the adjacent all steel structure. Without some connection to the building itself, there may be opportunities for bumping.

But..I'm not as qualified as fuller in these areas, so I am certainly not to be listened to with any authority on this
That makes sense, I need the details. I didn't fully understand the original post either.

As for wood. Can I weld that stuff? LOL!

This is why you build as tall as you can. Or as big as you dare pay for in my case.:D

I solved my over head crane vs fork lift or other lifting methods.:)

It introduced a new problem in the form of some needed maintenance.:mad::(:mad::kaioken: When repairs are completed we will be on to proper use. Possibly accompanied by questionable crane duties..:lol:

Smilies are very accurate for the range of emotions experienced at this phase.

0209191709a.jpg

0209191709.jpg

:rockon: The previous owner is one heck of a stand up guy. He actually fixed a fuel solenoid, pump seal, and a main cylinder before pick up. Now he is working with me on two small lift cylinder repairs. All are just symtoms of use and some age. The unit has great potential and is solid. After this I hope all the weak links are addressed. If not, it might end up completely refurbed.o_O

Back