We Bought a RV Clark!! Oh no! Rebuild thread

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by Dylan W., Nov 22, 2018.

1. GotWood

GotWood Sayer of Fact

Park it inside except when in use

2. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

That's what we do. It's the only way to prolong the life of an RV/camper.

3. WARRIORWELDING

WARRIORWELDING Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.

Your remember what we said about what RV shops charge.

Dylan W. likes this.
  4. Dylan W.

Dylan W. lone resident of Bro-Lite Island

Gonna try to get all the seams and holes sealed up.

shawn likes this.
  5. Dylan W.

I remember
    Sign on the wall at Campers Inn says 185 per hour.

shawn, rodney eppes and Chris_Keziah like this.
  6. Dylan W.

Thanks Jody. I might have to go with marine grade. I dried the treated for a week or so. Its glued to the frp with stay put glue now, and laying flat with more plywood and weight holding it down. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not super optimistic.

shawn and Jody Treadway like this.
  7. Dylan W.

While I had the storage box removed, I noticed it had been leaking. So I decided to take the compartment door off, clean off the old sealant and redo it. Should be good to go for a while. 20181125_140745.jpg It took a while to clean off the old sealant. It's a sticky job. 20181125_141317.jpg 20181125_141310.jpg Both sides were coated with this crap. Just think....All of the windows are the same way! Hours of removing old sealant by peeling it off by hand. Razor scrapers and this outside skin dont play well together. 20181125_144521.jpg Add new sealant, stick the door back in place, screw it, and pop the trim pieces back in. 20181125_162217.jpg 20181125_170224.jpg 20181125_170432.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  8. GotWood

GotWood Sayer of Fact

U feel your pain. Looking good!

Dylan W. likes this.
  9. tlucier

tlucier Well-Known Member

Do you have a pole barn big enough for your RV or do you have indoor offsite storage?

10. Dylan W.

I was able to salvage one piece of wood from the nose cone. This pc. was encased in expanding foam and I had to dig it all out. I suppose the foam help preserve it. I traced out patterns and cut a few new pieces. 20181125_125548.jpg 20181125_135509.jpg

shawn and rodney eppes like this.
  11. Dylan W.

No. Not sure what I'll build yet. I'd like a real wooden pole shed, but having a crew come out and slap up a metal shed looks appealing too. Right now we have a huge tarp. Oh yeah, Brooke found a deal on a huge rv cover (think huge water proof car cover) that we plan to use in the meantime. Just gonna stick with the tarp until the roof is done.

shawn, trailhugger and tlucier like this.
  12. Dylan W.

Thanks. You should come lend a hand..errr. I mean hang out and shoot the shit.

shawn and broncosbybart like this.
  13. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

We store it in our warehouse

tlucier likes this.
  14. Dylan W.

Lol. I though he was askin' me. Carry on carry on.

shawn, tlucier and Jody Treadway like this.
  15. Dylan W.

I had ran out of sandpaper, so I decided to start cutting my luan to fit. But dont worry... If one task gets held up or delayed...theres a million more things just waiting to be done. 20181117_124210.jpg Bought some more sandpaper and finally finished prepping these walls.
    Oooops! I poked a couple small holes in the outer skin while prying off the old luan. Figured this would be a good time to use this fancy Flex tape. I hear it " even works under wuudder". 20181118_154024.jpg 20181118_154649.jpg

shawn, broncosbybart and BigSouth like this.
  16. Dylan W.

We removed both of the large side windows. And finally started gluing the pre cut luan panels in place. All of the water damage was below the windows. Except for the woodwork that is the window frame. It was mostly all rotted. I'll need to rebuild all of the window frames. Here's Brooke on the outside cleaning more of that damn sealant off. I am so happy she is willing to help in any way she can. "Yes honey..I have something you can do. Clean this sealant off while I stand here and figure my next move" 20181118_162316.jpg 20181119_191313.jpg aaaaghhh! I'm losing my mind in here! But I've started on those window frames. Gotta glue them up and screw them into aluminum wherever I can. 20181119_190521.jpg I had to add a few studs. These will help when its time for final paneling. Also..adds a good place to fasten things later on. All of this is glued and screwed 20181119_200717.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    shawn and tlucier like this.
  17. Dylan W.

20181119_200902.jpg Here's a few pics of the replaced/rebuilt framework. Wherever you see new wood, remember, its replacing rotten wood. It's hard to believe that we are finally moving forward, instead of removing old crap.
    The wood framing at the bottom is built in so I have something to screw the booths to inside the walls. Its s shame all this hard work will be hidden with paneling later on. After the foamboard goes in, of course. You can also see the little plastic window corner thingies. We had to salvage these. Cleaned up nice. 20181119_200737.jpg

Attached Files:

shawn, CasterTroy and obullfish like this.
  18. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid More parts than a 9 dollar chicken bucket!

And my girlfriend wonders why I refuse to ever buy a used camper trailer or small RV. Honestly, I'm not sure which is worse....campers/RVs or boats!

SHINTON, shawn, tlucier and 1 other person like this.
  19. Dylan W.

Measured and cut most all of my foamboard panels. This is 1 1/2 inches thick. I found a deal on some at my local builders supply. These have been on the shelf for a while. I offered 10 bucks each and scored a good deal on 3 4x8 sheets. 20181117_140921.jpg 20181117_141927.jpg

CasterTroy, obullfish and shawn like this.
  20. Dylan W.

Yeah..I feel ya. Trust me, I never envisioned all this work. I didnt plan on it, I dont really enjoy it. What you are seeing is us refusing to give up. We have no choice but to fix this thing. Otherwise we wasted good money buying it.

shawn, TJ Will, Ron and 5 others like this.
  21. Croatan_Kid

That's how I feel every time I spend money on my LB7 and then think...hmm...a new L5P crew cab is like 70 grand. I think I can spend a few bucks :D

mcutler, doc and Dylan W. like this.
  22. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

At least (some/most??) boats are designed to get wet. :lol:

23. Dylan W.

With all the foamboard cut it was time to test fit. They're all nice and snug, but that's not good enough. These puppies gotta be 100% slathered with glue and stuck to the luan. I tried the stay put spray glue but it ate through the foam faster than Ella can eat cotton candy.
    I had to find another approach. So..I tested a few other methods and glues. After leaving the test subjects outside in the weather for several days...A winner emerged. Loctite proline premium! 20181120_192641.jpg I'll have to squeeze this stuff out... 20181120_170907.jpg and spread it on with a trowel... 20181120_164923.jpg once in place..its stuck! 20181120_173244.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    shawn, drkelly, CasterTroy and 3 others like this.
  24. Croatan_Kid

@shawn

I was referring to the part where they both suck the life and money right out of you :lol:

Dylan W. and shawn like this.
  25. Dylan W.

Looks kinda neat huh? 20181119_225826.jpg 20181122_221337.jpg 20181119_225819.jpg Dont worry...although I'm lacking pictures, all of the panels fit flush with the studs. They'll not be coming loose anytime soon. I hope!

shawn, yager, drkelly and 4 others like this.