What do they stand for

junkman

I know what CJ means, civilian jeep, but what does all the rest stand for,TJ Yj, whatever else J? Any one have a list?

cj - civillian jeep
yj - yuppie jeep
tj - trendy jeep
kj - kia jeep
fj - foreign jeep

I think in Canada the CJ was call a TJ so I thing that is where it came from but not sure in the meaning. but any way here is a mostly complete jep model list.

Historical Jeep models:
Current models

Jeep currently produces three models:
  • Jeep Wrangler - small successor to the Jeep CJ (called TJ in Canada)
    • YJ - The original Wrangler
    • TJ - The current Wrangler
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee - large family-oriented SUV
    • ZJ - The "old" Grand Cherokee, '93-'98
    • WJ - The "newer" Grand Cherokee, '99-'04
    • WK - The newest Grand Cherokee, '05-present ("WK" is the anticipated designator for the new Grand Cherokee, it is one of the few non-J-designated Jeeps).
  • Jeep Liberty - (KJ) A small SUV (called Cherokee outside North America)
Future models

Jeep will introduce a small crossover SUV based on the redesigned Dodge Neon architecture in 2007.
Jeep will also introduce the larger hummer size suv called the "Rescue"
Related topics

Thanks, I've been wondering what all those J's stood for myself.

TJ - Today's junk
YJ - Yesterday's Junk
CJ - Classic Junk
XJ - Xterra looking junk
KJ - Kute Jeep
SJ - SUV junk

:flipoff2:

FJ - Fixed Jeep

I like Rich's designations best! How true, how true...

LJ is not the unlimited. Unlimiteds are still TJs according to Jeep.

And to whomever asked the question... I remember reading that you are right, CJ does mean Civilian Jeep, but after that they have no meaning.

jeep9mm said:
LJ is not the unlimited. Unlimiteds are still TJs according to Jeep.

From 'History of the Jeep'

2004 saw the introduction of the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ). The LJ is based off the TJ platform, but features a 104" wheelbase for increased cargo room. Standard features on the LJ include the 4.0L I6 motor and a D44 rear axle. The LJ also came with either the new 4-sp automatic, or a new-for-2005 6-speed manual transmission. The new 6-sp manual tranny is also available on the regular TJ's. In 2005 Jeep added a Rubicon edition of the LJ as well as an "upscale" Limited model with a chrome grill.

LJ - Long junk :flipoff2:

rockcity said:
actually there is a Jeep designated as FJ:flipoff2:

Which one???

Okay, anybody know whatt he designation is on thsi crazy new Jeep Commander? I've heard its kinda like a continuation of the XJ but obviously a very different beast... I remember when they released the Liberty Jeep was adamant that it was NOT a "Cherokee replacement". Just curious.

Back