What have you done for your health today?

I started doing F3 with the Mtn. Island Lake crew (part of F3 LKN) a little over a week ago. Really good workouts and solid dudes. I'm liking it so far; hit up the saturday workout this am.
Wanted to start last week but getting to bed after midnight each night didn't help much. Nevertheless, hitting up my first F3 in the morning at "The Quarry" on Mt. Holly-Huntersville Rd. Hopefully some fellow NC4x4 web wheelers in the crowd. Looking forward to it (well, somewhat anyways).

For all the guys in Charlotte/Mt Holly that are doing/starting F3. Another option to consider is Crossfit. Not knocking F3 at all as they are doing some great work but if you want to mix in cardio as well as weightlifting, give me a shout. We have a free class every Saturday at 9am. It's open to any/everyone of all abilities and is a good mix of all fitness levels(seriously, we have teenagers and 70+ old grandmas here). The box I go to/coach at is Crossfit Mountain Island and is right off Belhaven blvd, plus its inside.

Today was pretty good. My eating levels were in line with my diet template and I was hungry between meals.

Breakfast- 2 eggs/ ground turkey/ cabbage mix all mixed up in a scramble plus two slices of turkey bacon
Lunch- Lean steak, rice, steamed vegetable medley
Dinner - Shredded Chicken, sweet potatoes, vegetable medley, 12 almonds.
Snacks - tangerine/banana

Had to coach the 530/630 classes so I got to work out by myself at 730. It kicked my ass as well as everyone else's...

Strength: Barbell Complex 5 rounds
2 Hang power cleans + 2 push press, 2 hang power cleans + 2 push jerks, 2 hang power cleans + 2 split jerk. The goal here is to go unbroken through all reps without setting the bar down while also going as heavy as possible if form/technique allows. I got to 155 and it felt pretty good, could have gone to 185 but it was a pretty long day.

Metcon: For time, 15 min cap
21-15-9
Thrusters
Back Squats
Push Jerks

@ 95lbs

I love barbell heavy workouts but this thing broke me(as well as both classes). I finished in 12:06 and felt good about that time. Most people were averaging 12-15mins. I have to skip the gym tomorrow because of work but will make it up for the rest of the week. Hope everyone's Monday went well.

I like chick fil a but I usually get the grilled sandwich club so it’s not completely bad for me. It’s most difficult to resist their waffle fries. Those taste awesome.

We continue to eat well and move (even) more. Yesterday we had pretty severe ice storm and lost power. Typically, that would be an excuse to go out to eat. Instead we made soup and I grilled a NY strip on the grille.

We went out to drive around the ice and drove by our nemesis...China Buffet. Not gonna lie, we wanted it, but we can't allow it. So we grabbed a gas station coffee and went for a walk.

The cravings are gone but sometimes old habitual things come up. You just have to push past them and not allow something to control you.

Stressful day at work today. Instead of going out for lunch, I walked the garbage to the dumpster and made my sandwich that I know is on plan. Went for a nice walk after work to talk about the day. The stress went away by doing these things and as importantly, I didn't backslide on being more healthy.

Huge greens salad and the rest of the strip steak for supper ended the day.

I'll weigh in later this week but I'm seeing progress that is not just numbers related.
NY strip is my First red meat love! Lol yeah I just picked up a big bag of frozen chicken breast, frozen veggies, fresh pineapples, frozen blueberrys and bananas to meal prep for the week so I have no excuse to not eat right! My meal plan is a little more forgiving I feel like but I’ve found through research and trial and error you can eat till full as long as you eat good food! Morning meal is now 1cup plain oatmeal with frozen berries and some cinnamon,vanilla,nutmeg, 4egg whites with salsa sometimes I drink em instead lol and a 16oz glass of milk with Gold standard whey protein powder and a banana blended with ice and turmeric which ya can’t taste! Full as hell till lunch and energy for days even after morning/afternoon workouts! Good food not only gives me more energy but also high protein gives ya some nasty farts for when you need to run ya boss off at work while your trying to get shit done! :lol:

I like chick fil a but I usually get the grilled sandwich club so it’s not completely bad for me. It’s most difficult to resist their waffle fries. Those taste awesome.
Those waffle fries should be banned for being so good! And their honey mustard for said fries is where it’s at! Let’s not discuss this any further hahaha

I'll weigh in later this week but I'm seeing progress that is not just numbers related.

I like to use the mirror to see progress. It doesn't lie, LOL.

I do weigh myself every day though.

Regarding weighing, the proper way to track weight loss or weight gain (building muscle) is to weigh yourself every day, and write it down. After 7 days, average the numbers for that week. Repeat. Compare the averages from one week to the next. Most sources will state that you want to see a loss of 1-2 lbs per week.

Been eating clean since 1/09/2019. Checked my ketone levels this morning. I'm in moderate to heavy fat burning. Also minimum of 45 minutes of cardio every day.

Started at 237lbs now at 233lbs. mostly water weight loss so far.

NY strip is my First red meat love! Lol yeah I just picked up a big bag of frozen chicken breast, frozen veggies, fresh pineapples, frozen blueberrys and bananas to meal prep for the week so I have no excuse to not eat right! My meal plan is a little more forgiving I feel like but I’ve found through research and trial and error you can eat till full as long as you eat good food! Morning meal is now 1cup plain oatmeal with frozen berries and some cinnamon,vanilla,nutmeg, 4egg whites with salsa sometimes I drink em instead lol and a 16oz glass of milk with Gold standard whey protein powder and a banana blended with ice and turmeric which ya can’t taste! Full as hell till lunch and energy for days even after morning/afternoon workouts! Good food not only gives me more energy but also high protein gives ya some nasty farts for when you need to run ya boss off at work while your trying to get shit done! :lol:
That nasty gas is probably from the milk,egg whites, cinnamon, and vanilla. Everyone should be taking some extra fiber such as Metamucil and also a probiotic and your system will work so much better!

Made it to my first F3 workout this morning and got to meet a fellow NC4x4'er, @getstucksome. Enjoyed the workout and fellowship. Looking to make it a T, Th, Sat deal going forward until the new job starts then I'll have to back it down to Saturdays only.

That nasty gas is probably from the milk,egg whites, cinnamon, and vanilla. Everyone should be taking some extra fiber such as Metamucil and also a probiotic and your system will work so much better!
this, I have a no carb protein shake for breakfast every morning. one scoop of fiber in it. I also take probiotics and drink Kefir that my wife makes. Right now extra bitter and just a little while I am in induction again

Made it to my first F3 workout this morning and got to meet a fellow NC4x4'er, @getstucksome. Enjoyed the workout and fellowship. Looking to make it a T, Th, Sat deal going forward until the new job starts then I'll have to back it down to Saturdays only.
That’s awesome! The more you go, the more fun you’ll have.

Yeah it’s def high protein for me I use to do whey years ago when I was training like this and didn’t do egg whites was same thing! I’m gonna add some fiber tho but havnt has any bad issues thus far! Def feel a huge diff in recovery with protein shakes and the fresh pineapples tho which is great and I’ve also found if I don’t do push-ups,sit-ups, squats, and back rows to failure I’m increasing my reps quicker I still push it till I’m shaky but not to failure on every set typically end of week when I’m taking a rest day I will so I’ll have a recovery day to let em heal up! I also have been doing push-ups squats at work while carrying metal around lol so it’s spreads em out! So Metamucil is tasteless bc I could incorporate it into my morning shakes or post workout shakes chocolate malt powder and bananas with smidge of cayenne is banging stuff tho if no ones tried it! And GNC has ON gold standard buy one get second 1/2 price right now I’m my area and online! FYI

ON Gold is pretty poor as far as protein goes. Very little QC.
One of the BB forums tested a bunch of them years ago and ON was the farthest off their label, something like 70%.

Im a fan of Isopure personally as it does the least havoc to my blood sugar levels.
For Bananas might as well drink koolaid.

Roasting these guys in the oven today. Makes for a killer salad with some kale,goat cheese, pecans, rotisserie chicken and homemade vinaigrette. We eat so much better if we just put a little thought/effort in before the week starts and we get too busy to figure anything out.

21B71F8A-11AD-45C1-B91C-2D9D70D3031E.jpeg

ON Gold is pretty poor as far as protein goes. Very little QC.
One of the BB forums tested a bunch of them years ago and ON was the farthest off their label, something like 70%.

Im a fan of Isopure personally as it does the least havoc to my blood sugar levels.
For Bananas might as well drink koolaid.
I dunno details on protein powders but last few years ON gold has been in top 3 and 2018/2019 is #2 behind isopurec that you mentioned, it was suggested to me by a buddy that power lifts for lean muscle gain and lack of fillers! I’m not big on supplements tho never have been truly I just needed to help my protein intake where I fall short on meals it’s hard to get 60+ grams a day of protein from food for me.

I didnt mean to sound negative, thats one of the casualties of typing fast sometime wile Im doing other things.
Sorry.

This is a quick goto: Optimum Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey Review

One of the things you want to be careful of (in my opinion) is soy content of whey powders. Without going into a biology deep dive more soy can equal more estrogen. Estrogen is bad for for muscle growth.

Im currently in the process of cutting all reined and artificials out...so for me protein powders are out for the time being for that reason alone. The old stand by is 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.

Si if you are a 180lb dude with 12% body fat you'd want about 160 grams of protein per day.
Eggs have 6-8grams each.
A 12oz NY Strip will give you 75 grams of protein. etc.

Today's workout was 20 minutes on the incline treadmill, followed by 5 sets of walking lunges with dumbbells.

I tried 3-4 different types of whey protein when I first started lifting weights 5 years ago thinking they were going to really help me. They all made me constipated and bloated feeling. I just eat more real food now that is high in protein. You don't really need that whey crap if you can get your protein through eating real food. There is nothing magic about whey protein. I think people get WAY too hung up eating it, and on which one is better than another thinking it is going to help them put on 50 lbs of muscle and make them look like a professional body builder. The truth is professional body builders don't take that crap. They eat a ton of eggs, chicken and brown rice. They might promote it because they are paid to. Real food is ALWAYS the better option. For me it is eggs, egg whites, tuna, turkey, chicken, ham, red meat, and greek yogurt. Protein bars are a last resort.

I didnt mean to sound negative, thats one of the casualties of typing fast sometime wile Im doing other things.
Sorry.

This is a quick goto: Optimum Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey Review

One of the things you want to be careful of (in my opinion) is soy content of whey powders. Without going into a biology deep dive more soy can equal more estrogen. Estrogen is bad for for muscle growth.

Im currently in the process of cutting all reined and artificials out...so for me protein powders are out for the time being for that reason alone. The old stand by is 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.

Si if you are a 180lb dude with 12% body fat you'd want about 160 grams of protein per day.
Eggs have 6-8grams each.
A 12oz NY Strip will give you 75 grams of protein. etc.
All good, I don’t take many things negative these days to much of that going around already, I like having informative opinions and suggestions tho and I take all opinions and suggestions in a positive note. Hell this thread alone and the help in the training thread I started has progressed my training tremendously to say the least!! I’ll check into that link when I’m off tho! I appreciate the input I’m def not trying to put stuff I’m my body that’s not beneficial! I’m 214 and no clue body fat % BMI calculators aren’t accurate I know but it’s what I’m using for time being, I may stop by the CrossFit place to get em to see what my % is tho I’m curious now! I’ll have to go pick up some NY’s too bc they are my fav cut, and wasn’t aware there was that much protein in them!

Back