What have you done for your health today?

I tried 3-4 different types of whey protein when I first started lifting weights 5 years ago thinking they were going to really help me. They all made me constipated and bloated feeling. I just eat more real food now that is high in protein. You don't really need that whey crap if you can get your protein through eating real food. There is nothing magic about whey protein. I think people get WAY too hung up eating it, and on which one is better than another thinking it is going to help them put on 50 lbs of muscle and make them look like a professional body builder. The truth is professional body builders don't take that crap. They eat a ton of eggs, chicken and brown rice. They might promote it because they are paid to. Real food is ALWAYS the better option. For me it is eggs, egg whites, tuna, turkey, chicken, ham, red meat, and greek yogurt. Protein bars are a last resort.
Yeah my friend that power lifts eats like 10lb a food a day I don’t know how he does it it’s insane! I’ve been destroying tuna, eggs, chicken tho here in last month and seems to be helping a lot! I’m not trying to put on much muscle if I could drop another 10lb and then over the next 12-18 months add out 10lb mass on I’d be good to go for what I’m doing! Beach body has never been my thing even when I was 20 and pretty well ripped I’m not one to take my shirt off unless I was throwing down! Was raised by a woman that told me nobody wants to see that unless it’s your wife or your dr! Haha

Last edited:
Body fat % is another subject where a lot of people get hung up on wanting to know what it is, and getting it low. I think that is foolish. Let the mirror and your belt be your guide, and adjust what you are doing until you like what you see. It doesn't matter what % it is.

Whey protein is nothing but lactose. I am lactose intolerant and cannot stand anything dairy except for good cheeses. There is beef protien available but I don't take it either. A good friend of mine eats about a dozen egg whites per day along with his meals. He is built and in awesome shape.
I just do the best I can
Body fat % is another subject where a lot of people get hung up on wanting to know what it is, and getting it low. I think that is foolish. Let the mirror and your belt be your guide, and adjust what you are doing until you like what you see. It doesn't matter what % it is.
I never weigh myself, I go on how I FEEL. I'm usually with the same 15 lbs I have been for many years even though I'm at the top of that now but once I get this new knee in gear I'll be getting back to feeling good soon.

agreed.
Until you go to buy life insurance.
3 lbs put me in a different category a few year ago and doubled my premium..

I'm a big fan of whey/casein protein. I generally take whey/creatine mix right after the gym as it allows me to jumpstart my recovery plus get in some much needed protein immediately after working out. I'll then go home and cook dinner with more protein/carbs/veggies/healthy fats. I do 25grams of casein right before bed. Before I started casein, it would take literally hours to fall asleep, now I'm asleep within minutes and my recovery time between workouts is markedly improved. Protein powders/shakes have their place but should not be substituted for good, clean eating practices.

Hadn't been on here in a while, but haven't done much either. Outside of having a few beers the night MY TIGERS WON THE NATTY and a few more one night since, I haven't had any. Honestly, I feel like a million bucks. Over-40 hangovers suck and I'm just fine without 'em. I'm still feeling tired all the time though and for that, the moving and food are about to change for me. I'm not going as "whole hog" as some of you, but I have a lot of room for improvement.

I'm enjoying the posts and learning just from lingering. Keep it up.

Anyone on here use muscle egg??? I’ve drink it never cooked with it tho I can drink a gallon a day of that stuff no problem but not sure how good it would be for me lol the birthday cake flavor is amazing and I hate birthday cakes.

I know meal replacement “shakes” aren’t a great idea, but if you’re pressed for time with a gun pointed to your head to drink a shake for breakfast, which one would it be?

I’m too lazy and travel too much for meal planning. Just asking.

I know meal replacement “shakes” aren’t a great idea, but if you’re pressed for time with a gun pointed to your head to drink a shake for breakfast, which one would it be?

MRE Lite Banana Nut Bread is delicious & my go-to for breakfast in a hurry. (Disclaimer: this is based solely on my tastebuds & not any scientific special ingredients).

Oh yeah chocolate

I decided to give SmoothieBox Super Smoothies a try. They ship 20 frozen pouches to you, along with 20 pouches of beef collagen powder. There are 3 flavors and the Cacao is tasty out of the gate. The Green and Clementine are also good but I add half a banana to calm down the ginger flavor. I mix them with coffee and it's breakfast/brunch maybe 2x a week. You need a blender, obviously, but it's not a powder and it's something like 24g protein and 12g natural sugars from the fruit.

Knowing what I know now, I might just source similar ingredients and make my own with berries, sweet potatoes, and frozen spinach. :lol:

I’ll do my favorite protein powder, usually chocolate. Mix it with crushed ice and non sweetened almond milk. I’ll also add in a tbsp of almond butter (or peanut if you wish) with a half a banana. I do sometimes add in a tbsp of chia and flax seeds for fiber. Toss it in the nutribullet and voila!

I usually drink half on my way to work out and the other half after the work out along with a couple boiled or poached eggs.

I'll weigh in Thursday. But I know that I know that I know that I have maintained a strict and solid dietary plan. No cheating and no BS.
I feel much better physically and mentally I am much sharper. Something I experienced when I originally started being healthy 3 years ago.
I'm stoked to continue this and again I am so appreciative of all of the support we're all giving each other.

Last edited:
I have some Combat chocolate (left over from my last fitness kick) I might use for breakfast.... mixed with 1/2 water and 1/2 2% moo milk gives it a good consistency. Gotta be better than a bowl of sugar cereal with the kiddos or whatever the hotel lobby has (which is pretty good nowadays).

Oh and just to warn the masses... I tried that overnight oatmeal stuff. Barf. Just barf. I couldn’t get past the consistency part.

What!? Overnight oats are the cat's pajamas! Add some PB powder, honey, & banana (maybe even some tiny chocolate chips) ;)

I’ll take your word for it. Lol

I tried several flavors and came to the realization that, for me, oatmeal is best served hot and eaten with a spoon!

33g of protein all natural morning drink. 8 ounces of egg whites and about 8 ounces of milk.
IMG_20190116_061621833.jpg

I post up what may be totally uninteresting tid bits but some may find them helpful.
Literally just stepped out of the best bagel joint around, Joey's Bagels. 22 different types cooked fresh everyday. They also have like 10 different cream cheeses all made in house.
Place is straight up legit!
But, a carb laden bagel filled with nearly 6 ounces of cream cheese is way off plan.
But their coffee is super good...
So I just walked in, waited in line as so many people were tanking up on something I'd love to have on the way to work. But I waited my turn, got a back coffee (refill mug) and walked out
That bagel and cream cheese would have set my day up for failure. Can't do it, won't do it.

I post up what may be totally uninteresting tid bits but some may find them helpful.
Literally just stepped out of the best bagel joint around, Joey's Bagels. 22 different types cooked fresh everyday. They also have like 10 different cream cheeses all made in house.
But, a carb laden bagel filled with nearly 6 ounces of cream cheese is way off plan.
So I just walked in, waited in line as so many people were tanking up on something I'd love to have on the way to work. But I waited my turn, got a back coffee (refill mug) and walked out
That bagel and cream cheese would have set my day up for failure. Can't do it, won't do it.

Congrats on that show of willpower! I had my own test yesterday. I went to the gym at lunchtime and came back to work to eat my grilled chicken breast & cottage cheese that I brought from home. A bunch of guys at work went in on a few pizzas and they were trying to pawn off the leftovers. I was tested but realized all my good work at the gym could easily be for nothing if I scarfed down a couple, 3 pieces from those pies.

It’s sometimes ok to divulge in some of those things but in moderation. :)
For me, I use whipped light cream cheese and spread it thin. Gives me what I want with being reasonably healthier.

Back