What have you done to your rig today?

Started removing the rear leaves and noticed that the PO had done a bang up job of installing the eBay special subframe stiffeners.
I’m going to try to notch the bracket with a die grinder to get the main eye bolt out. I hadn’t intended to cut these stiffeners out just yet.
A44566E5-1C4D-4731-9C07-23E9CED93386.jpeg
CF187320-B5F4-41F2-9088-5AE55F3599D4.jpeg

With some good advice from @BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. and @Jason W. I figured out a major squeak/ squeal in my driveline. Driving it sounded like a pinion bearing to me so I got it up in the air and let it run in gear while I was up under it listening for where the noise was coming from. Pinpointed the noise to either the output of the Tcase or driveshaft. Pulled the driveshaft and found that the ball in the double cardigan joint was the culprit. With some good advice from Chris I rounded up a needle for the grease gun and found a needle grease port on the driveshaft and put 8-10 pumps of grease into it. I assume that the only grease this has ever had was when it was new. Going to put a few miles on it and put some more grease into the port and call it good.

Got this far today. However, when I put on the timing cover/water pump, I hand tightened the bolts since I was using some rtv. When I went to tighten the bolts about an hour later, this happened. After I did the majority of what's in the pic.

I'm also not sure if the intake is sealed properly where I did the rtv. Just doesn't looked squished enough. I guess we'll see.

Not that I want to leave it, but if I did for a while, would that bolt leak like sieve, or would the other 9 holding the cover on be ok? If you think/know it will, I'll go ahead and rebound the cover again. Luckily it didn't break flush with the engine, still a pain though.

If this thing doesn't start and run right when I crank it I'll be taking a dirt nap, care of the wife, lol.
cc55d3f2e5105d2d214179bf1b5e2104.jpg
5899879a5a43bcf883a2339aa7eac816.jpg

With some good advice from @BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. and @Jason W. I figured out a major squeak/ squeal in my driveline. Driving it sounded like a pinion bearing to me so I got it up in the air and let it run in gear while I was up under it listening for where the noise was coming from. Pinpointed the noise to either the output of the Tcase or driveshaft. Pulled the driveshaft and found that the ball in the double cardigan joint was the culprit. With some good advice from Chris I rounded up a needle for the grease gun and found a needle grease port on the driveshaft and put 8-10 pumps of grease into it. I assume that the only grease this has ever had was when it was new. Going to put a few miles on it and put some more grease into the port and call it good.

I had neglected that same pivot ball one time. Then it decided to give out. Man that was an interesting ride. Pump it full of grease and try to wipe away the old crap that gets pushed out. If you don’t it will sling it all around the underside of the jeep :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RubiconBear my .02 would be to run it. If it were a WP bolt I’d reconsider but down on the corner of the timingcovwr I don’t see why it would be a huge issue at all.
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be TOO bad. The only thing would possibly be crankcase pressure blowing it out. I took the other bolts out this morning and it does NOT want to come off anyway. I may run it at least the 500 miles until I change the oil due to the new camshaft and see what happens.
I was so mad at myself. All I can figure is I got some rtv in the threads, along with some thread sealant (not locker) in case it was in an oil or water passage.

Put the new clutch in, pulled a drive shaft out of the junk yard for the rear yoke for my 8.8 and dropped the cab back on too see what I need to do to make my universal underfloor brake and clutch setup work.......hopefully I won't have a near death wrenching story to post up when I rig up something so I can pull the cab back off by myself when I need to.

Effect_20171202_211656.jpg

Traded for this 81 CJ5 several weeks ago. Slowly getting it back trail ready after a couple years sitting outside being neglected.

Loaded up heading to its new home
IMG_7996.JPG

After a little pressure washing
IMG_8179.JPG

Replacing leaking valve cover gasket, thermostat, and some coolant hoses needed attention.
IMG_8321.PNG

Replaced frozen rear brake calipers
IMG_8273.JPG

Last edited:
Traded for this 81 CJ5 several weeks ago. Slowly getting it back trail ready after a couple years sitting outside being neglected.

Loaded up heading to its new home View attachment 259003

After a little pressure washing View attachment 259002

Replacing leaking valve cover gasket.
View attachment 259008

Replaced frozen rear brake calipers
View attachment 259005
I remember seeing that rig either on here or Craigslist. Can’t remember, but I thought it had potential with a little work. Cleans up nicely.

Back