What's it worth?

BIGWOODY

1999 TJ. 4.0 auto, Hard and soft top. A/c , cruise, zero rust anywhere. Needs nothing everything works, was business partners wife's car, she got a new one and is letting this one go. I'm seeing values all over the place, what's a fair price? Delete if not allowed.

Attachments

• KIMG0407.JPG
    KIMG0407.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0406.JPG
    KIMG0406.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

As you noted, prices are all over the place, It's a matter of finding the right buyer and he can get 10K for it, but with the Auto, D35 rear, it's about as undesirable a TJ to wheelers as was ever made short of the 4 Banger,

For a realistic sale within two weeks, I'd say ask for $6000, and Take an offer of $5000. Target Parents looking to buy their Kid a graduation gift.

As you noted, prices are all over the place, It's a matter of finding the right buyer and he can get 10K for it, but with the Auto, D35 rear, it's about as undesirable a TJ to wheelers as was ever made short of the 4 Banger,

For a realistic sale within two weeks, I'd say ask for $6000, and Take an offer of $5000. Target Parents looking to buy their Kid a graduation gift.
I think he would like a bit more....I have zero use for it, but for $5K I'd buy it myself in a heartbeat.

Agree 100%
As a buyer I'd max at $5k for all the reasons above. It's JUST a good driver with little potential for anything else unless you can get it for nothing

$4k

It's a 25 year old rattle trap that most likely death wobbles all over the place unless all bushings are new.

Would need a complete fluid change, new shocks, maybe tires, and new plastic bits. Plus new speakers and radio. All of that adds up quick.

I would believe 7500+ is attainable if you clean it up decent based on your description. I sold my 02 "X" model with 186K likely in a similar or worse condition, without a hardtop about ~2 years ago for 7500 in a weekend. Prices still seem pretty inflated on them from what I've seen.

I think he would like a bit more....I have zero use for it, but for $5K I'd buy it myself in a heartbeat.

Well, as I said.. If he finds the right buyer, he can get 10K, but he'd have to market it and be patient finding that buyer... I can see just from your two pics that it is a well taken care of 150,000mi jeep with typical wear for the mileage, I don't think there is anything special about it to merit more than $5000 to the average buyer, cause the competing vehicles are 15 year old RAV4s and CRVs

$4k

It's a 25 year old rattle trap that most likely death wobbles all over the place unless all bushings are new.

Would need a complete fluid change, new shocks, maybe tires, and new plastic bits. Plus new speakers and radio. All of that adds up quick.
I will buy every rust free 6cyl TJ you can find for $4k.

I don't think there is anything special about it to merit more than $5000 to the average buyer, cause the competing vehicles are 15 year old RAV4s and CRVs
You completely lost me there. If I'm looking for a Jeep, I'm not going to settle for a RAV4 or CRV. The Jeep isn't even in the same category/universe as the RAV4 or CRV.

$4k

Ahhhh...no not really. We own a shop, this was his wife's, it needs nothing. I personally drove it to WV awhile back and was shocked how well it drove at 75mph. But I appreciate your input.

I would start it at 8500 and take no less than 7500.

Our 05 with 126k and a bunch of known little issues and a salvage title was initially less than that but it was not as mechanically sound by any means.

Lol at some of these valuations.
I don’t even like TJs but I’d bring 6k tonight and a trailer.

Lol at 4 and 5k values.

Now I don’t think it’s worth that- but it’ll bring it all day

You completely lost me there. If I'm looking for a Jeep, I'm not going to settle for a RAV4 or CRV. The Jeep isn't even in the same category/universe as the RAV4 or CRV.

But if you were looking for a Jeep, would you be looking for a 99 TJ or a 2003 TJ? A 99 TJ Sport can be upsold to someone looking for a Small Sport Utility vehicle for their Kid, At 5~$6000. A rust free 2003+ TJ will bring $10,000, yes. But a 99? Straight up, would you pay $8000 for that 99?

If nothing else, this thread proves your original assessment @BIGWOODY, TJ Prices are all over the place...

Have your buddy put it up on FB marketpace and the classifieds here for $10,000 and see what happens, he's got nothing to lose but a little time.

Shut up dick!
Some of us are out here trying to turn a trick!
yeah but you and I know, Greg aint no broke bitch looking for a fix...

But if you were looking for a Jeep, would you be looking for a 99 TJ or a 2003 TJ? A 99 TJ Sport can be upsold to someone looking for a Small Sport Utility vehicle for their Kid, At 5~$6000. A rust free 2003+ TJ will bring $10,000, yes. But a 99? Straight up, would you pay $8000 for that 99?
I dont understand this argument. The only difference that matters is 3 speed auto vs 4 speed, and the 42RLE sucks so that wouldn't really matter to me. I personally wouldn't pay $8000 for it, but my dad has a 98 that he paid $6000 for years ago, doesn't look anywhere close to as nice as that one, and I believe it would sell for $7000-8000 now.

Are we just assuming D35 or had that been confirmed?

I dont understand this argument. The only difference that matters is 3 speed auto vs 4 speed, and the 42RLE sucks so that wouldn't really matter to me. I personally wouldn't pay $8000 for it, but my dad has a 98 that he paid $6000 for years ago, doesn't look anywhere close to as nice as that one, and I believe it would sell for $7000-8000 now.

Are we just assuming D35 or had that been confirmed?

I was assuming a D35, yes, it could have the optional D44 but I've never seen a 99 that did.

Lots of people here are saying I'm wrong and low, and I can accept that, I've been wrong before...

But this thread hasn't really done much to come to any kind of consensus of what the TJ in question is actually worth today, the market is in such crazy flux that what someone sold a TJ for 5 years ago, or last year, or even last month, isn't a good indicator of value anymore..

From a quick check on CL in my area, it seems like $8k could be close to reasonable.

I bought my 92 YJ for $4k in 2018. 5spd, 6cyl, no A/C, 200k miles. I had been looking seriously for many months. $4k was avg market price at that time for what it was. There has been a LOT of inflation in used car prices since 2018.

Well, as I said.. If he finds the right buyer, he can get 10K, but he'd have to market it and be patient finding that buyer... I can see just from your two pics that it is a well taken care of 150,000mi jeep with typical wear for the mileage, I don't think there is anything special about it to merit more than $5000 to the average buyer, cause the competing vehicles are 15 year old RAV4s and CRVs
Don't forget the instant membership into an elite group and the rubber duck eligibility that comes with the purchase of a Jeep product. Thats gotta be worth a couple of grand at least.:shaking:

Back