‘79 CJ5 Preservation

I'll wrassle @CasterTroy (and I'll probably get tossed like a rag doll :laughing: ) if we both find it at the same time.
I'll lather up with grease and eat taco bell for 3 days straight before hand just to be sure I have an edge

I'll lather up with grease and eat taco bell for 3 days straight before hand just to be sure I have an edge
Jeezus H! Now that right there brought the funny! :laughing:

And grease is one thing, but as far as I know, there's no antidote for the loss of consciousness caused by the taco bell farts! I don't know, I think those brain cells have been permanently shut down since my last trip there. Can't remember when that was! :lol:

I play to win

fart GIF

Have you felt the need to take it to a tuner at all? @Bebop has mentioned a few times in other threads about the need to have the Sniper system tuned.

So far, it runs well as is. It does seem a little rich at startup, but I won’t hang too much on that til I get it starting consistently on the first crank. I’m sure improvements could be made to the tune, but on a stock engine with unknown miles and a habit of killing mosquitos, I’m keeping my expectations pretty realistic. Now when the day comes I have the engine refreshed, probably this winter, I’ll be more critical of everything. No EFI conversion kit works to their full potential on a tired engine and every manufacturer will tell you that.

Have you felt the need to take it to a tuner at all? @Bebop has mentioned a few times in other threads about the need to have the Sniper system tuned.
You don't know how much you're missing out until you actually do it.
Find me a guy that got his tuned by a competent guy and feels like it wasn't worth it. Just saying.

Well looks like I should hold off on mine lol
I don't regret it. It has way more power and runs smoother. Like @Bebop said, there's room to improve its self learning metrics, but I am keeping my expectations in check due to the age of the engine. Considering it wouldn't run 50mph before without falling on its face and can now run 55 comfortably and go faster if I want to chance death with dryrotted tires and manual steering, its a huge success.

I am going to data log a longer drive sometime soon to see what things look like, but until I freshen up the engine, I doubt I'll spend the money to have it tuned professionally just to turn around and want it re-done after this winter.

The PCV system and hose routing has always been a bit of a mess and its got a catch can on it. But based on how other stuff was done before I got it, I need to go through it all now that a bunch of vacuum lines got deleted when I swapped to the Sniper.

Drank a few beers and played with the multi meter tonight trying to figure out the starting issue before I go any further. The windshield wiper circuit I used to trigger the relay does have 12v in the run position but fluctuates a lot during cranking. It didn’t show up before on the test light but the meter was all over the place. I found another wire (black) coming off the column that stays at 12v while cranking. Downside is it’s a constant hot even when the key is off so the handheld stays on. Upside is this thing fires up every time on command now. I’m tempted to just put in a battery kill switch and let it ride. Tbd.

Hope you resolve this issue before I take possession. I'd hate for this thing to go all "land rover" on me in the Barndominium and burn down my ultimate man cave :eek:

Don’t you worry. Painless will put your mind at ease and add another level of anti theft so this highly desirable gem doesn’t get stolen from your possession.

With the starting issues fixed, I’ve dug into the drivability and base tune. It’s always had a miss at idle and stumble that existed before the EFI and ignition changes, the better spark and fuel just masked it, so I hit it with the timing light...16* or so BTDC at idle. Guess I should have checked that sooner :laughing: It was beyond the indicator marks basically. I rolled the timing at idle back to 6* BTDC with the vac advance disconnected. The miss at idle is gone and the acceleration off idle is much smoother. We are going to eek every bit of weepows out of this old Mill bit by bit.

I literally just moved mine from 8 to 10 the other day. Seems to act a little better.
Seems like the rule of thumb is throw mud at the wall and hope something sticks. I’ve found people saying settings from 4-10* seems to work. Before, my IAC settings would fluctuate a lot as the ECU chased the target AFR. Now it’s pretty consistent within its normal operating range. Doesn’t smell as rich either.

Seems like the rule of thumb is throw mud at the wall and hope something sticks.
That's it right there. You could have a row of "same" engines next to one another and find that they all run differently (old ones, anyway). Especially if they've got some miles on them. They might be pretty close straight out of the gate at the factory, but after that....IMHO all bets are off.

Glad you're getting it all dialed in. I'm working up my tolerance to Taco Bell again for when the day comes that I wrassle @CasterTroy for dibs on the next owner of this, should you leave it laying around too long. :huggy:

I'm working up my tolerance to Taco Bell again for when the day comes that I wrassle @CasterTroy for dibs on the next owner of this, should you leave it laying around too long. :huggy:

Enter player #2

My daughter eats Barbs (somewhat like Chipolte) 3 times a week and it produces nuclear farts that have actually made her fiance puke. She likes Stretch's CJ too :huggy:

Enter player #2

My daughter eats Barbs (somewhat like Chipolte) 3 times a week and it produces nuclear farts that have actually made her fiance puke. She likes Stretch's CJ too :huggy:
:lol: :lol: I'm at a total loss for words, other than I'm gasping for air desperately trying to stop laughing :lol::lol: THAT'S hilarious! Looks like I'm outgunned here! :laughing:

Its all fun and games until someone poops a little during the competition.
Good point!!!

Remind me to recover the seats with black pleather after we get it

Back