2002 2500HD - Solid Axle Tow Rig

Honestly...I think everything other than the body is fine. I bought a new sawzall today and will turn it in to a convertible, get the hood off, and try to fire it up. I'm pretty confident that it will. The only fluid I saw was transmission fluid and I'm pretty sure it was just coming out of the dipstick since it was laying on the passenger's side.

Basically all of these parts will get swapped over to the next truck...which will be as identical as I can get. I've found two or three so far.

Just glad your still around. That's some scary looking crushed up metal.

Honestly...I think everything other than the body is fine. I bought a new sawzall today and will turn it in to a convertible, get the hood off, and try to fire it up. I'm pretty confident that it will. The only fluid I saw was transmission fluid and I'm pretty sure it was just coming out of the dipstick since it was laying on the passenger's side.

Basically all of these parts will get swapped over to the next truck...which will be as identical as I can get. I've found two or three so far.
I'm sure it's not the same engine, but I think Philip might be looking for a duramax these days.

So your saying your going to bring it to the GTG and wheel it.....lol

So...uhh...

I slid up under it and stuck the shift lever in to park, the door lock actuators cycled, left the key turned forward to run the lift pump, and pumped the primer under the hood about 10 times. The lift pump changed pitch so it was moving fuel again. I bumped the key and it was like it never missed a beat :D I fully assumed and expected it would fire off without a problem.

The satellite radio still works.

Horn works, head lights, interior lights, steering...

Hell yes 😎

The adjuster called me today and I sent him the pictures he wanted. Now, I wait and see how tight they want to be with the purse strings.

I sorted through the receipts that I have for the truck. It's not ALL of them throughout the years, but I added up what I have. It totaled up to over 31,000 dollars 😅

1701141248785.jpeg

I'm going to wind up getting about 10,000 after buying it back. It seems reasonable. Ideally, I'd have enough to step in to another truck just like it, but I didn't expect to.

These are the actual numbers:

$12,841.55 is for Farm Bureau to take it
$9,885.00 and I keep it

My next one will be insured heavily with no questions about what I'd get paid out.

@R Q I might call that guy just to see what he thinks. I appreciate it!

@R Q Just talked to Billy and that guy is cool as hell! I'm going to fill out his forms just to see what he thinks...it can't hurt!

WOW! You are very lucky! That looks like it would have been one hell of a ride. Glad you are ok.

WOW! You are very lucky! That looks like it would have been one hell of a ride. Glad you are ok.

Oh, it was. I was there! Everybody has said "you should buy a lottery ticket!". Umm....nope. I used up all my luck in one shot 😅

Dare you to drop everything into a square body

I considered it very briefly....but I'm not in the financial position to pull it off at the moment. Plus, I want AC and heated seats again!

My plan is to ride down to Georgia and pic this up. Just gotta get the money right. It's identical to my truck as far as factory options are concerned.

Screenshot_20231128_223833_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231128_223838_Facebook.jpg

I just gave him the info for the appraiser the insurance company is using and I'm guessing he's dealt with him before. He said he's a piece of work. We'll see!

I'm not trying to retire off of them or anything, but I do think what they offered was low and the comps they used weren't proper.

Rest assured, I'll have much better insurance on the next one.

Why? You'll end up paying for it twice over upfront, and if anything ever happens, they'll still try to nickel and dime you and barely give you what it's worth.

Why? You'll end up paying for it twice over upfront, and if anything ever happens, they'll still try to nickel and dime you and barely give you what it's worth.

Yep. I e learned that insurance will do absolutely everything they can to take your $ and not pay out when needed.

I now buy the bare minimum because I know that even if I pay a ton, they are still going to screw me if something happens. So, I just keep my $ and figure anything that happens and I can’t get insurance to cover sufficiently, I’ll just chock it up to $ saved on the front end and deal with it as such.

I just gave him the info for the appraiser the insurance company is using and I'm guessing he's dealt with him before. He said he's a piece of work. We'll see!

I'm not trying to retire off of them or anything, but I do think what they offered was low and the comps they used weren't proper.

Cool, I hope it helps and let us know how it comes out if you don't mind sharing.

I know insurance companies aren't in the business of losing money. I can still change a few things up that won't cost me much more, but will benefit me far better in the event this ever were to happen again.

Cool, I hope it helps and let us know how it comes out if you don't mind sharing.

I don't mind at all. Billy's terms were pretty cut and dry, so either way, I'll be alright.

@R Q Not going "great" so far, but I sent him some more information. It feels like I'm having to supply the knowledge and details...he argues with the other appraiser. Communication isn't overly abundant. At the moment, they're at a stand still and I had to fork out another check so they could hire an umpire to mediate, I guess. Either I'll get my money back from him or I'll get more from the insurance company.

I noticed the Total Loss Claim Form that the Farm Bureau adjuster did had a 2003 extended cab, short bed, power/leather seats (not heated), and no center console and then a 2002 CCLB dually with LS cloth interior as comps. He also neglected to select a few options for my truck...such as directional side mirrors and upgraded radio. It's entirely asinine to assume that those cab/bed/interior options are comparable to gather monetary value. What very likely happened is he couldn't manage to find the right truck to compare it to (or just didn't care to) and figured I wouldn't notice. They were both at used car lots in northern Virginia. I'd bet money they're both rusty as hell.

Truthfully, I know they don't actually care. I am, however, petty enough to school them on it and, while I may not have a landslide victory, I'll damn sure piss them off for crossing me and trying to pass off some shit like this. The NC insurance laws say they're required to pay a "fair market value" and that isn't necessarily set by used car lots. I've sent them identical comps to use, so now I'm just waiting to see what they come up with.

All that said, I fully expect them to suggest dropping me when my renewal comes up in April, so I'll probably be on the hunt to find a new insurance company. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I also just noticed that they have my truck listed as a 167" wheelbase, which is a crew cab, long bed. 🤦‍♂️ Also, both comps used were in terrible shape. We're talking needed full paint jobs, rockers gone, and both were at cheap, wholesaler, used car lots. I swear....you HAVE to pay attention or they'll run it in you dry!

Last edited:
Back