2002 2500HD - Solid Axle Tow Rig

Boom! It worked :D

20171221_174213.jpg

I swapped the GM sensors in place of the Ford ones and took a die grinder to the top of them so they'd clear the inside of the rotor. I backed the truck out and took off down the road and the light went off.

The front sensors and the rear one both read the same MPH also. The front still thinks it has a 245/75-16 tire and the rear has been corrected for the speedometer. So, with the fronts now having a 60 tooth tone ring and a larger tire, it just so happens to even out. Funny how that worked out.

I really need to polish all of the glass on this truck, aside from the windshield...which is new. Now I just need to figure out what to use. The hard water spots are badddd. It's a chore to even see at night...it's that bad!

What do yall think? I've tried CLR, vinegar, toothpaste, RainX polish/stripper...nothing has worked so far.

Scratch remover for paint?

Buffing compound in a DA?

I really need to polish all of the glass on this truck, aside from the windshield...which is new. Now I just need to figure out what to use. The hard water spots are badddd. It's a chore to even see at night...it's that bad!

What do yall think? I've tried CLR, vinegar, toothpaste, RainX polish/stripper...nothing has worked so far.
Wish ya were closer I have something that'll fix ya hard water! Or has mine anyway!! Limonene ⋆ EnviroSpec I use it on everything... cleans windows and your vehicle paint better than any cleaner I've used!! After it's mixed I can WILL burn your skin 1st degree if left on it trust me I've had bad burns from it! But it's animal safe plant safe won't kill ya grass! If it's left to dry on something then you will never get it off unless you put more limeonine on the spots it dried to especially windows it will leave a white cloudiness if it dries on paint or windows! Grainger, tsc, lowes may have something similar but envirospec has their own formula to my understanding and the shit works, streamline pressure washing llc has been using it 16 years now!

A little update...

I'm working down in Beaufort, SC and had to haul some tooling down with me for the job. The truck did damn good running 80mph and rode amazingly...even on I95 in SC, which is pretty horrible in places. Of course, my buddy had to park next to me to make his Dodge look better :D

20180121_131912.jpg

20180122_151215.jpg

Dude...jealous. I dig that Ram, though...

Glad that pickup of yours is working out well!

Yeah, I could see you rocking some 22x12s :D

Nice, glad it’s working out great for you. I’ve been looking at reg cab long bed 2wd gassers to daily. I’ve got that super duty axle and np241 in the garage that would be good for converting a 2wd truck to 4wd, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It was nice to get back home earlier this afternoon and not feel tired from driving. It really wasn't a bad trip at all. 760 miles round trip, but with the stock setup I would have been beat to death and exhausted after a six hour drive!

i got some non-caustic 0.0pH liquid that should do the trick. if you want some let me know.

I found some stuff called Glasweld ProClean that has worked damn good.

I was helping my buddy move today and hauled his chicken coop over and set it back up. Got to try out the new tires and they did pretty good!
20180203_170104.jpg

Finally did all the windows with the ProClean stuff. It actually works pretty good with scratch-free Scotch Brite. Just gotta keep it moist, light pressure, and a lot of scrubbing. I rolled the window down and did the top half. You can see exactly where I stopped and started to roll it up.

20180222_175713.jpg

I also did an oil analysis through BlackStone Labs. I'll see if I can post the results. I ran Amsoil 15w40 OE oil and one of their EaO filters and the results were awesome after 1 year and about 12k miles. That particular oil isn't suggested to be used in extended oil change intervals, but I did it anyway. This next go-round I'm shooting for a 25k interval and I used Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine and the same filter again. This oil has a base TBN of 12, so it should last quite a while. I'm also considerng a dual remote bypass filter setup to not only keep the oil cleaner for longer, but it will also move my full flow oil filter from directly over the pinion yoke to over on the driver's side frame rail.

Screenshot_2018-02-23-23-52-57.png

Once I've done a few samples of my own, they'll use my past data as the comparison to the samples, but I believe for now they use data compiled from other vehicles with the same engine that they've tested previously. I'm particularly happy to see no fuel dilution of the oil. I'm always weary of it with an LB7, but these injectors only have 30k miles on them.

If anybody else is interested in doing an analysis, BlackStone's website is very helpful and the test kits are free. They don't charge you until they actually run the test.

Last edited:
Good news! My new Kaufman goosneck should be done either this week or next. That's about the most exciting thing going on in my life right now.

Here soon I'll be replacing the carpet in this rig. It's got numerous cigarette burns from the previous owner, a handful of stains, and the passenger's floor board is mildewy from a leak I had after the wreck...not sure what caused it, but I think it had something to do with the weather stripping not channeling water properly. I check the floor to see if it's wet every time it rains and I haven't had any issues in a while, so it's time.

Since ALL of the interior has to come out for that adventure, I might as well take care of the all-too-common, wonderful, GM headliner sag. It definitely has a lot of smells trapped all up in it too, no doubt. Probably smells like cigarettes, Lt. Dan.

Then, after reading a recent thread, I remembered the speakers need to get replaced. The front speakers have some raspiness to them and I'm sure the rear ones are about gone too. The door panels are stupid easy to take off too, so that's nice. I also picked up a tape player delete off of Amazon too, so I'll have another handy little cubby hole where I can put my CAC card or phone.

Cutpile Flooring for your 2001-2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab 2 & 4WD | Car & Truck Interior Carpet

https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Avalanche-Silverado-Suburban-Replacement/dp/B00DDYNUC0

About the only other thing I'll need is some side steps. I just can't find any that I really like. I hate that most of them just mount up on the body mounts because they usually sag quite a bit when you step on them. Any suggestions guys? A tire to tire set would be nice so I can get in the toolbox too.

Last edited:
Just a thought but while the carpet is up/ headliner down/ door panels off, look into some dynamat or similar It helps with sound and also makes the cab seal up tighter. Did a double layer on the back wall of my truck and helped knock out the little drone from my exhaust too.

X2 dynamat is in my new truck and it is awesome I probably wouldn’t go threw the steps to put it in just because but since you going to have the truck gutted might as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about it. I'm ordering the carpet with a thicker backing on it also, which will help a little.

I used some generic stuff, a heat gun, and wadded up shop rag to smooth it out. Basically sealed off all the misc. openings cause at some point someone had been in the door panels and all the plastic was gone. After I did this to the truck you actually had to pull the door shut as opposed to it just clicking shut cause it sealed the cab up so well.
45E77F99-202F-4A9C-95AA-6B41CE49402C.jpeg

Not sure I'd want to cover the whole door like that. It's an 02 GM truck with power windows, so I know I'll be going in to them again eventually. All of my plastics are surprisingly in tact too. I'll probably start with the floor and back of the cab and maybe come back and do the doors later. The panels are really easy to pull off.

Once I get in there and look at it again, I can probably figure up some sort of way to make it easy to still access the window regulators.

I had just done both regulators and didn’t plan on being in there in a while so I went for it. If theregulstors are a known issue I would probably wait. Although if you needed to get in there you could cut through and just layer over it being fully adhesive backed. Although if the plastics are in tact it probably isn’t a huge issue.

Back