'82 Jeep Scrambler Daily Driver

Just space the bracket off the case a little more and entirely close in the area around your 4x4 indicator and be done. Then you can shave the bracket all you need without worry
I had an older revision laying around that was already cut out and had the mounting locations drilled out, just had to mark for the new cable locations and drill those out.

Test fit it all on the case and everything is a go except filling in the cut out for the indicator which I will hopefully get done this week.

IMG_4375.JPG

If you needed to go thin there, you could add a 3rd dimension in. Build a C or ring that went around the indicator and welded to the bracket on each side

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boom! Clocked nearly flat with zero body lift and didn't have to cut the floor!

IMG_4402.JPG

This was how close my second round cut out was to the hat channel, after this particular fitment I ground a little bit more out of it so I wouldn't hear a "THUNK" every time a jerked the driveline. Also note that I filled in the area I had cut out for the sensor and then trimmed to fit (I trimmed to fit the actual connector later, notice it in the first picture).

IMG_4396.JPG

Here's a few more images of the final fit on the bench.

IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

And lastly some poser shots of fluid going in and the driveshaft installed!

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

I also took the opportunity to reseal my rear end while I was down there, used a normal Felpro gasket.

I still need to install the shifter in the cab but ran out of time (girls' nap was over and mom needed a break :) )

Install is complete! Shifter went in fairly easy, kind of wish I had paid extra for 5' cables (NWF's standard is 3' or 4' with no upcharge) to give me a little more room to work with.
I used washers on the shifter but the fasteners still grabbed the shift boot and started twisting it which sort of annoys me. I also replaced one of the bolts for the center console with an eye bolt so I could support the cables and ensure they won't contact the driveshaft.

IMG_4423.JPG
IMG_4425.JPG
IMG_4426.JPG

I do have one issue though: Once I installed everything I, of course, got excited and cranked the Jeep and pushed the rear shifter into high so I could go for a test drive. I ran out of time for the test drive so I just backed it up and down the drive. I wanted to switch to low range to feel how low 4:1 really is, but I COULD NOT get it to pull out of high. I also noticed that there is a lot of slop in the shifter assembly, about 1.5".
I know the shift rails and transfer case are operating as they should as I operated them multiple times on the bench.

I'm not too sure what to do.. Do I need to get the slop out of the cables some how? Is something not adjusted right?
I put the transfer case in LOW on the bench to fit everything on the cables (that is with cables all the way IN), so I should have plenty of play in the cables for it to operate correctly.

IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG

I have read and confirmed to shift into low range it helps to be have the tires turning and clutch in + neutral gear. Definitely don't want to bend a shift rail fork...

Turns out my parts hoarding is coming in handy. While I save for the front axle regear (I spent the original allotment of money I had for that on the full hardtop) I've found myself looking for other things to tinker with.

I've got everything I need except for a fuel pump to swap a 4.0 head and fuel injection onto my 4.2, so I'm going to slowly pick away at this; starting with thinning down the 4.0 wiring harness.
I'm assuming the 88, 89 YJ connector (shown) is the same for XJ's, where my stuff is from. I'm going to start by completely eliminating the top half of the plug that's not needed.

IMG_4473.JPG
IMG_4472.JPG
IMG_4471.JPG

Alright, started snipping wires... and second guessing myself.
The picture I attached in post #223 is not the same for my year XJ harness. But this one appears to be:
91 bulkhead connector Engine compartment.jpg

After further searching I found this posted on another forum:

Capture.PNG

Of course I found this after I already cut off the entire "top" (pins 1, 2, 3) connector. I did leave roughly 8" pigtails though so they are now labeled correctly, still kicking myself about that though.

Pin C4, was odd though. It had two wires coming out of it, one went straight to a connector, and the other went to a relay.

IMG_4545.JPG
IMG_4544.JPG

If I remember right, and it's been a few years since I wired mine so bear with me, one off that C4 goes to the relay for the fuel pressure prime with key on, and the other wire goes to the ballast resistor for fuel pump run. I ended up leaving out and bypassing my ballast resistor.

Not much going on for the Jeep. I’ve been mulling over the idea of selling the Mustang so I’ve been spending any free time I’ve had getting that to a point where I wouldn’t be too embarrassed to list it.
I ordered two new wheels to replace the ones discount tire said were out of round. I’m hoping that will cure my 50+mph vibration I’ve been experiencing. If that doesn’t work, the guys at 4wheelparts said it might be my janky shackles with miss matched bushings.

I also ordered some center caps for the rear wheels because I’m vain and don’t like the way the exposed axle flange looks.

Lastly, I won a gift card to @Barnes 4wd (thank you!!) and used it to buy their transmission crossmember kit. The way I currently have it mounted is fine, but I don’t love it and would rather have it be independent of the skid plate. I am by no means a fabricator so I’ll reach out to have someone complete that work for me. Probably a few other odds and ends things too..

I feel like I remember Shawn saying something about mounting a transmission on this type of mount and not matching the stock style motor mounts, which would cause a difference of movement due to the more flexible stock style motor mounts and break parts. I'll probably pick up M.O.R.E.'s "bomb proof motor mounts" to couple with the trans mount.

84C3BF87-884F-4A31-B237-E3759983EAC9.jpeg
F7646037-9544-4AEB-AEF1-0535552EE79C.jpeg
5FBF6EB4-D073-4262-91C9-8C51CF8DF4A0.jpeg

Last edited:
I have done absolutely nothing to this thing but enjoy it for the past few months. Front axle still doesn't match the rear, haven't touched the fuel injection stuff I have laying around, I need to replace the body mounts and the out of round wheels; I've just been tuning the carb enough to hop in and drive around town.

That being said, my brake booster is starting to sound like it is sucking through a garden hose so I think I'm going to swap to hydroboost. Vanco makes a kit, but it looks like you can swap a booster from an Astro Van easily enough..

IMG_E5161.JPG
IMG_E5163.JPG
IMG_E5165.JPG
IMG_E5168.JPG

That being said, my brake booster is starting to sound like it is sucking through a garden hose so I think I'm going to swap to hydroboost. Vanco makes a kit, but it looks like you can swap a booster from an Astro Van easily enough..

Finally got parts on order for the hydroboost swap. Hydroboost is from a ‘95 Astro Van and I went ahead and bought a new master cylinder for a CJ. I also bought a mounting plate from partsmike.com so I won’t have to elongate any of the stock mounting holes.

The two big hurdles will be hoses and pedal rod length.
My current plan for the hoses is to head to Cross and see if they can make me up a set.
34993CB9-EF35-409E-A5B3-2F66A4D0D112.jpeg
C6A3C678-0708-4097-844C-9B9EC57B2B8E.jpeg

Nice looking rig.
Interested in the Hydro-boost.
Your thoughts on going with a Hyrdo-boost vs. a traditional vacuum brake assist system?
Are you going to plumb the Hydro-boost to the power steering lines?

Keep us posted. My cj8 didn't come with power brakes at all, so I'm interested in how the hydro works out. Save all your take off stuff for me. I'll send it off and rebuild it for my scrambler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PartsMike plate came in.
This should make it so that I don’t have to elongate the existing holes to mount the hydroboost.

2570AFEB-4888-4CAE-A0AD-0FAE17DB0DE2.jpeg

Also while I was on an ordering spree I went ahead and ordered two of the Hella 4 gang relax boxes and a Blue Sea 6 slot fuse block with a negative bus. Hopefully this will keep all my accessory wiring nice and tidy.

3D99D519-6285-4DEF-BF95-9AD7A11800FF.jpeg

That is one sexy scrambler, wish I never sold my rusted 86... looks like you have two lil ones that’ll be fighting over it in few years! Lol

Any plans on changing wb for departure angle? I mean not putting ideas in your head bc I think it’s badass as is! Just curious and wondering how you were going to go about it if ya were!?

None what so ever. I love the original proportions of the Scrambler; my childhood dream car.

I’m not planning on doing anything extreme with it, just trail rides if I can ever get it to that point.
That’s awesome! I can dig it for sure. One gorgeous Jeep buddy!

Back