'85 Xtra Cab Build

StretchASU

Been working on this thing for a few months and figured I would throw it up here for the hell of it. I picked up an 85 Xtra Cab from a kid here in Boone who bought it about 3 years ago and just let it sit in his apartment parking lot. Went by one day, made an offer and pulled it home.

It was sitting on 33" Thornturds when I got it and has some add a leafs all the way around that make it ride like :poop: but the suspension works so for now I'm rollin' with it.

Cleaned it up and slapped on some 36" Iroks.
aimg256.imageshack.us_img256_5315_img00975201008071631.jpg

aimg441.imageshack.us_img441_1653_img00974201008071138.jpg

How it sat before we went up to watch the ECORS Harlan race.
Welded Rear, Aussie Locker in front 36 Iroks and stock case
img00989201008101434.jpg

Came back and Bobbed the bed...
aimg683.imageshack.us_img683_4517_stretch6.jpg

The clutch and cooling system hated the constant revving and slipping the clutch to go anywhere so I recently Flatbellied the truck with dual stock cases...heres the best view of the work...
aimg831.imageshack.us_img831_9247_stretchflop2.jpg

Other than a new throttle cable, tune up and other miscellaneous BS nothing much else has been done to it. Its getting an interior cage, sliders and rear bumper next then I will just address things as need be.

Thanks go out to:
Bud @ BudBuilt for the Aussie and Flatbelly Crossmember
Aaron Bishop @ HCORE 4x4 for putting the Aussie in the 3rd for me when I was short on time before Harlan.
Chase and Ryan @ ECGS for the Trail Gear dual case adapter
Idols Tire in Boone for the clean exhaust work
Wheelin62cj for welding up the bed since I hate sheet metal work
The FBC

awesome yota. like the lower stance with the 36s. one of thos simple, but plumb buck wild yotas

you guys going to mtn sat call me. Also I still have a pile of yota parts I think unless the cans walked off with them too. Ill see what I have you can just have it.

Nice. :huggy: Budget Toyotas have some rediculous bang for the buck, dont they? :beer:

They sure do...I keep wanting to build something different but I can't get away from these yotas

Might pull the add a leaf from the rear and put on longer shackles for a cheap fix for more flex.

Yeah that would be wise but it goes right now and I don't HAVE to work on it so why mess with stuff.

Thanks for the comments guys.

aimg2.imageshack.us_img2_6602_img01381201010071712.jpg

hows is on the road with those 4.10s and 36s? my DD yota has 35s and 4.10s:)

thats a good photographer running around catching you flopped like that :p.

that was a good day!

Whelp...finally broke a stock front shaft. And by broke I mean shatter. Sent chunks all throughout the knuckle. Thanks to Ryan and Chase at ECGS I have some new Nitro 30 Spline shafts on the way. Going to rebuild the knuckles and put the chromo's in. Crossover steering too. My trail made "highsteer" tie rod is about done. Traded off the bumper that was on the back of this truck for some rear springs to put up front. Just need to find some Dakota or F150's to put out back and hopefully this thing will stop riding like a wagon and flex a little bit.

hmmm never heard of someone puttin Dakota leaves out back. how long do they measure and how much lift you get out of them? you goin with 2 or 4wd 1fiddys?

why not 63 in chebbys? becasue fords are shorter?

hmmm never heard of someone puttin Dakota leaves out back. how long do they measure and how much lift you get out of them? you goin with 2 or 4wd 1fiddys?

why not 63 in chebbys? becasue fords are shorter?

Probably 2wd Ford's and some shackles. I am not a fan of the Chevys because they are rock anchors and don't flex for :poop: unless the rig has a lot of weight in the back. (Just from my observation) Depending on ride height I may add a thin leaf or two to the packs front and rear.

Why my steering locked up...Blown trunion bearings on the drivers side.
img015792010110123212.jpg

Finished product...finally. This round of mods really whipped my ass. One little thing after the other kept causing issues and wasting time.

aimg823.imageshack.us_img823_1704_img01621201011061713.jpg

aimg602.imageshack.us_img602_3786_img01622201011061713.jpg

aimg248.imageshack.us_img248_386_toyotasparks.jpg

Shakedown...
It drove great up to about 50-55. Then it was easy to notice the square rear driveshaft. It stuffs the tires and doesn't rub nearly as bad. It even clears the front bumper with no trimming. The springs and drag link come together under flex so I will probably swap out to a flat pitman arm. If I can trim the fenders and probably get a little more out of it when the flat pitman arm goes on.

I still have some things I would like to do before the next major trip.
-Diff cover
-ARP Knuckle Studs
-Bump Stops
-Shocks/hoops
-Truss the top of the axle
-Longer U Bolt on drivers side.

Back