'85 Xtra Cab Build

Went out to the shop and gave the truck a once over from this weekend's ride. Tightened up a few bolts and got the Chevy 1 wire alternator in place. Just need to run the wire for it and install the belt and it will be good to go.

Didn't go ride this weekend but did cruise the truck around for a bit today. The new alternator seems to be working fine. Took a bit of a presidential solution to get the tensioner arm to fit properly but other than that it was easy to install the 1 wire alt.

aimg21.imageshack.us_img21_2603_img02314201102061636.jpg

aimg687.imageshack.us_img687_5194_img02315201102061637.jpg

aimg690.imageshack.us_img690_697_img02317201102061642.jpg

Austin and Darrel had a bit of fun with the silver sharpie. :lol:

Took my pile down to UNBREAKABLE's to do some work. I had the shop to myself and got a rear bumper and sliders made. BIG THANKS to Justin for letting me use his shop and tools. Made things much easier than cranking it out with grinders and sawzalls at my shop here in Boone.

2x3 rear crossmember, d-ring mount and start of the bumper
aimg218.imageshack.us_img218_5149_img02400201102251330.jpg

Braces and gussets welded in...starting the plate/dimple die work
aimg268.imageshack.us_img268_6182_img02401201102251442.jpg

Finished product
aimg197.imageshack.us_img197_2118_img02403201102251539.jpg

I also swapped out bed's for a Dovetailed and Bobbed bed from gtrobb's parts truck. It originally resided in Elkin. No pictures of the sliders. Nothing fancy. Just a single 1.75" .120wall tube under the rockers. Didn't want to add much weight but didnt want to keep annihilating the cab either.

Is that .250 wall for the rear? Hammer time.

U know it...Its actually an old Budbuilt belly pan support for a Tacoma if I remember right. Other than the 2x3 tube for the crossmember, the whole rear bumper came from the scrap pile.

The whole truck came out of the scrap pile. Just kidding. This thing WORKS for what it is... must be those secret 16" wide 13.50s :lol:

That looks good stretch. Should've lost the bed before you had to cut it out, but it still looks real good.

LOL. Nice Kyle. I'll get some better pictures of it when its finish welded tonight and painted.

Lots of thanks goes out to ChrisM for the help with the fab work. Kinda convienent having a bender, notcher and welder 4 bays down from me. While he was tacking everything together yesterday I got the rock lights wired in finally. We are going to finish up the front half (b-pillar forward) before Harlan next month. I still need to order tabs for my seats and belts.

full exo? from what i can see it looks good so far, ill have to stop by sometime this week and check it out... and get my steering box:rolleyes:

full exo? from what i can see it looks good so far, ill have to stop by sometime this week and check it out... and get my steering box:rolleyes:

Nope...interior cage run through the back of the cab down into the shock hoops. (think Nate's tacoma cage). Feel free to get up with me whenever about that steering box. Or just sell it to me because you're never going to wheel anyway. :flipoff2:

Somehow bent a Trail-Gear tie rod at Mtn City a few weeks ago. No scuff marks, just looks like it was stressed and folded. They have a warranty but I have to send it to Cali, wait then get it back and I'm trying to go to Harlan next week so turnaround is an issue. Bud @ Budbuilt is going to make me a new one and we are going to cut this one apart and see if we can figure out why it folded.

Huh, I can damn sure say a Budbuilt tie rod will not do that. I have beat the ever-living crap out of the one I just installed on its 4th Toyota axle in my 84, and its still laughing at all I have thrown at it.

Hehe stretch I have a factory tie rod if you need it.

Doesn't bud use the same tube? Like 1 1/4 dom?

woot woot....that is all I have to say.

Back