90's throw back.....Manche build

All the research I've done says no green tungsten for alum on inverter machines. Only green on transformer style units. But I swear the green worked great on my diversion, except for the lap joint, red and grey worked better there. The ball on the green didn't seem to spread the heat as well on a lap, but the red and grey kept a nice point which seemed to help in that position. Imma keep on practicing ...

Didn't have any lathanated at ARC3 today, or I would have run it through also.

Matt

I found orange worked well for both. Didnt get the ball on the end like the green. But then, I think the ball is a def plus when you want a broader arc. Prob why the ball doesnt help as much on laps.

Also, I think the real plus of green is that it is supposed to be more self cleaning than the others.

But I'm no expert on Tig welding! :rolleyes:

My first completed workpiece with tig welding aluminum...or basically period for that matter. Finally got a rhythm, there are a couple hiccups, but that's why I started on the sides that will be unseen... There will be another unit for overflow with the same dimensions as this surge tank, just less weld bungs. If these two pass pressure testing, I will make a couple more at a later date once my skills become more fluid. I appreciate everyone's advice!

6e7a92bbdaea8dbc7a61f1ba185a47e0.jpg

195c1e03d74b33c0adbed387605cca68.jpg

96aaab0b1f77c3953a4d4bdd6e4f5ea5.jpg

10ad4a2457d63e58562fef0d13b4acbc.jpg

2bd4683a3b6e590a90c53804695158a6.jpg

1be51092a86ba00181111db8962b78f9.jpg

a1de53b0ca88415df77101c47f16a9b5.jpg

And my little helper joined me in the shop for a bit today.

fb80e27b15ff64cc6850bd394de968c2.jpg

Matt

All the research I've done says no green tungsten for alum on inverter machines. Only green on transformer style units. But I swear the green worked great on my diversion, except for the lap joint, red and grey worked better there. The ball on the green didn't seem to spread the heat as well on a lap, but the red and grey kept a nice point which seemed to help in that position. Imma keep on practicing ...

Didn't have any lathanated at ARC3 today, or I would have run it through also.

Matt
If you were using higher amps the green would show it's drawback. Green was the "OG".
Research and time proved alloying thorium made it resistant to higher temps and arc setting. The new "gangsta" however had a flaw. Radiation output when welding and grinding. California peeps got scared. All other alloys where designed to run and or conduct arc currents better. Keeps the hood happy. One of the new kids Lanthinated is a smart ass do all from outside the getto. Educated kid who thinks he's supper and gonna clean up. Does everthing real well in all hangouts.

Seriously, Lanthinated is very good across all applications.

I still run 2 percent thoriated on a lot. Even aluminum at low amps when I want a slight point, blunted.

Pure or green is still king below 200 amps with no more than 60 percent cleaning. This is when I want a nice fat soft arc. DCEP does the cleaning. To much of this and higher settings is what destroys pure. The ability to go well beyond balanced welding on almost every new machine gives the "OG" a bad rep with undisciplined hood rats.

I am going to essentially copy your front bumper and grille guard on my Ranger. My boner bar is soooo 2005!
Call it flattery my friend!
Copy away my friend...that's where we all get ideas from.

Matt

I got the radiator prepped for AN fittings today, -16 on the tanks, and removed the radiator cap and replaced it with a -4 fitting. (I'm using a surge tank system rather than a cap on the radiator. Let's me get the cap to a higher point, more capacity, and it works great in factory vehicles.)

Very unnerving cutting up a brand new radiator...

d7d386b43e459596cb98e4873bda9d16.jpg

f9be3b266faddc48052e3c853f32e3e5.jpg

41dd318b82fa48d03926ecf23a28f886.jpg

55e8c8e235a804e2f87b76f87773c3ae.jpg

Nice short connection to the surge tank.

83a539b3a44341c886fa8ecea157b3b5.jpg

The -12 and -10 fittings on the surge tank will go to the rad side of the thermostat and the cool side of the heater core, respectively; then the hot side of the core will go to the engine side of t-stat. Obviously the hoses can be rerouted in case of heater core failure. The radiator cap is 18-22lb. The -4 fittings are for the steam ports on the heads and the steam vent from radiator.

a61dabe1f12fe63d56c89eb04cf9f2ce.jpg

Got the steering cooler mounted, easily done with the tanks on this flexalite radiator.

f5b1a6e840678eae19d82752bc483fe8.jpg

a2dab29d28105c8873db64a95032ab0c.jpg

Almost finished the overflow tank today as well. The neck will house a second (spare) cap, but the sealing surface has been vented to let fluid through to the overflow port.

f1d5e9d1b0eb6840efc4cb054b2c1a9b.jpg

Starting to feel much more comfortable with this tig stuff. I love mig, but tig is more fun.

4c9162db1c13968cc8add7ab74787fa2.jpg

Matt

Last edited:
Aluminum is fun isn't it? ;)

I'm glad as hell I took that jump to try it.

Your work is second to none!

Aluminum is fun isn't it? ;)

I'm glad as hell I took that jump to try it.

Your work is second to none!
Yes it is. I'm glad I've been prepping steel so thoroughly all this time, it doesn't make aluminum feel like that much more work, lol.

Thanks, I'm thoroughly enjoying your build as well.
I like that you can't see the motor when you open the hood.

It's kinda like a Super Duty...
Yea, no kidding.

Once the inner fenders, windshield fluid, steering, and shock reservoirs are mounted, it will be completely covered!

And everyone wondered why the motor was so far back...tsk, tsk.

Matt

Matt I'd have to agree with you tig welding aluminum is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. To me it is easier than tig welding steel as long as you have a good rhythm. But all your welds seem to be perfect I would guess you did a lot of practice beads before you ventured into making your reservoirs. I know I'm in school for it and I'm not as skilled as you and many others but that's why I'm inn school for it since I can not work I hope to one day do little side jobs at my own pace and it turn out as good as your work along with many others. Keep up the good work Matt. I show off your work to my instructors All the time and they have never had a bad thing to say about it all they say is he's a true professional.

Matt I'd have to agree with you tig welding aluminum is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. To me it is easier than tig welding steel as long as you have a good rhythm. But all your welds seem to be perfect I would guess you did a lot of practice beads before you ventured into making your reservoirs. I know I'm in school for it and I'm not as skilled as you and many others but that's why I'm inn school for it since I can not work I hope to one day do little side jobs at my own pace and it turn out as good as your work along with many others. Keep up the good work Matt. I show off your work to my instructors All the time and they have never had a bad thing to say about it all they say is he's a true professional.

Never truer words

Never truer words
Thanks guys. I'm really having fun with it. I wish I had picked up a tig torch 15-20 years ago. So far I have about 12-15 hours behind the hood with the torch, (and 2 bottles of gas- had the gas turned too high on the first bottle at 20-25 cfm, now I'm running 12-15.) I tend to jump right in on a task and screw up, but also learn how to repair those mistakes, as I go. These aren't perfect, but I will enjoy making the second versions of them at a later date. I have an aluminum spool gun also, and the first arc I struck with it,17 years ago, was building a 20 gal aluminum fuel cell, (on the cab truck I posted earlier), boy did I really have to learn how to repair on that piece, [emoji90] [emoji33]- Btw I haven't used it since on aluminum... I still have much to learn!

I appreciate all the tips and advice I've received here, other forums and via phone, it really made a difference. Not to mention the generous folks on you tube who go out of there way to make instructional videos; they don't have to do that- but their teaching is priceless.

Matt

Looking good!

Where did you source the mesh from?

Back