92 XJ project

^^i apreciate it man...im all for helpful critisism and comments.. and no ecuxj...its not her dad...good idea tho

Zack

I thought this was going to be an informative website, but it sounds to me its just a bunch of subdivision mechanics.....

like rockmafia said....post some of your rigs up that you have built in your 37+yrs.....lemme guess 2" budget boost?:shaking: :shaking: more pics of the jeep to come fellas...

Zack

Next up on the list is to build the control arms...we are building them out of DOM tubing. The core of the links will be made out of 1.50x.50 and will be sleeved with 1.75x.25. For the end of the links...on the Unibody side we will use rubber bushings, on the axle side, the Large RE Heim Joints. After looking at the RK kit, I really wanted to make the joints adjustable...so I searched and this is what I came up with.
ai45.photobucket.com_albums_f62_YJJPWrangler_REJoint.jpg

Now I know you can buy this exact joint already made like this, but we already have the RE Joints...so...a trip to Public Hardware(thanks Lauren:bounce2: ) and this is what I ended up with.
ai45.photobucket.com_albums_f62_YJJPWrangler_RandomPics.jpg

Its a 2" 3/4 bolt with a 3/4 coupler...I'm taking the couplers to
a machine shop so they can smooth the edges off...like this..
ai45.photobucket.com_albums_f62_YJJPWrangler_NutTurned.jpg

After that..Ill drill some holes lengthwise in the coupler that correspond to the holes that will be drilled in the CAs..and then plug weld them and also weld at the top of the nut. What do you guys think? chiefcherokke...I already know your response...:shaking:

Zack

My son and I have fixed a XJ and had some of the same problems as Jeepsterjam05. Instead of the welds breaking the metal did. Both long arms broke in half. Nothing that wasn't fixable just a pain. If you have a strong but pliable metal that gives just a bit you should be just fine. But I read you were having a valve problem on a wrangler I believe you said. I am having a similar problem on a CJ5 and I was wondering if you had any feedback or ideas. Thanks

I think the budget boost is about your skill level. My Cherokee has a 4" superlift. And if I had a way to get my pictures online I already would have them on here.

I think the budget boost is about your skill level. My Cherokee has a 4" superlift. And if I had a way to get my pictures online I already would have them on here.
bring it out with us i wana see if it's as big as your mouth
we are riding sunday less than 1 hour from you
i'll put my DD up against it!!!
it's time to put-up or shut-up

.....a 4" superlift...i put on my 4" lift when I was 15...."37 yrs of experience".:lol: but seriously, thoughts on the adjustable CAs..anyone? ....
Zack
ps...don't feed the troll
ai45.photobucket.com_albums_f62_YJJPWrangler_trolls.jpg

Boy that took some skill, I know alot of high school kids who could have put that on. If it took you 37 years to get that far, you have a loooooonnnnggggg way to go.

yep, sounds like me when i was in hs. i put the 3.5" RE lift on my jeep and then as soon as i got out i put a body lift and spacers in. i have had my jeep since it was new and i am currently on my 4th build. thats comes to a total of 5 years now and that guy has had 37 years of experience and only a 4" "super lift" to show for it. come on you got any custom work you have done to it? :fuck-you:

Speaking as another "Old Guy", leave these boy's alone. I have also been building vehicles for 30 plus years, however, I never claim to know everything, but I dont have a problem listening, and learning from people half my age. So...., shut the fuck up, listen, and learn, or just go on! Man!, I hate a loud mouth!

That's my new favorite quote... it almost sounds like a child wrote it...

I would really like to see some pictures though, because honestly I have never seen a cherokee running one of those...

just a few thoughts:

Not sure about a welder that builds something and doesn't clean the metal?

I do think I would sleeve the holes and reinforce the frame.

Can't see enough of the build to make good judgments

Boy that took some skill, I know alot of high school kids who could have put that on. If it took you 37 years to get that far, you have a loooooonnnnggggg way to go.
I got a good laugh out of this one.

I think he was right in talking about backyard Mechanics. Most of us are. Sorry I have a real job defending this country and can't stay home or drag my heep to work and fix it. I prefer to retire in 3 years then go to college and get a degree as an engineer. Not be a professional mechanic for the next 37 years. My heep is a collection of junk and sits on 33's and does quit well on the trails. It breaks but I know how to fix it. Since I built it.

Just curious why run the joints on the axle and the rubber on the frame? Seams as though it would flex better with the rubber against the axle and the joint on the body side. I thought that is how RE and several other set up their Long arms. Going off memory so I may be wrong. Educate me as to your decision please.

^^My reasoning behind this is that, for ride quality I would think that you would want the rubber on the unibody side to absorb vibrations..if the rubber was on the axle, I would think it would wear out quicker...also I am pretty sure this is how RK has their kits, although I may be wrong.

edit: upnover-good idea on sleeving the bolts...already gonna reinforce the frame.

Zack

I was trying to see what the other companies do. RE uses the rubber on the axle side like this, http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=263&Pn=1982&XnPath=173,180,251,263&Vid=AFBB6D578482

I will look for RK set up. I know BigwheelBob used those kits on my buddies XJ's so he might be able to answer that question for me. I am sure he'll post up. Just remember the rubber bushing is a lot cheaper than the RE joints so if wear is a factor I would rather the rubber wear than the joint. Just my 2 cents. Keep in mind I am just a shadetree mechanic though.

I thought this was going to be an informative website, but it sounds to me its just a bunch of subdivision mechanics.....

DAYUM, I'm a mechaninc and I happen to live in a subdivision.

Guess I qualify !

Whoda thunk !

information is what you make of it bubba, you don't have to agree, or even like whats happening, but have VALID reasons for spewing trash before you start bashing someone elses junk.

Currently, you are running at the mouth with little more creedance than having the need to be a PAIN IN THE ASS !

If yer gonna bitch, butch up and explain WHY !

getting ready to order bushings for the rear shackles, got the metal couplers turned down...just need to get some rubber bushings for the CAs and then we can start to build them. Pics to come.

Zack

Havent talked to ya in a long time Zack! Hope stuff's goin good for you! Call me for wheelin sometime!!:driver:

Tyler

I got my Currie Johnny Joints today. I got the 2.5" with 1.25 threads. Talk about Beefy. Should fit nice inside my 2"x.50 Dom tubing. I am going to just thread the ends of the steel and insert. looking forward to seeing hers. I will be starting mine in the next couple weeks.

Back