After a hard azz day at work,

How do you relax?
I'm drinking beer and listening to Sublime.
Badfish exactly.

Here lately, I've been relaxing after work by sitting in the rv surfing you-tube. Just watching whatever comes up next. I've seen alot of wacky stuff.
But it's not that often I get to relax. Most of the time, I'm actually working on the damn thing.

Usually coffee, in a chair outside. Sometimes bourbon. Sometimes both.

If I’ve had a real bad day, I call my buddy and go chill at his house for a bit and we talk about wheeling which takes my mind off things.

Here lately, I've been relaxing after work by sitting in the rv surfing you-tube. Just watching whatever comes up next. I've seen alot of wacky stuff.
But it's not that often I get to relax. Most of the time, I'm actually working on the damn thing.
Next Project, > Dirty Mudder Truck [Discovery Channel] ! :burnout:

These days, Usually playing with my girls does the trick. Recently the oldest loves building forts, pretending the floor is lava, gymnastics (every elevated surface is now a balance beam) and throwing balls off walls and trying to catch them.

These days, Usually playing with my girls does the trick. Recently the oldest loves building forts, pretending the floor is lava, gymnastics (every elevated surface is now a balance beam) and throwing balls off walls and trying to catch them.

That lava game doesn't get old... Mine are 4, 6, and 8 and the floor is always either lava or the ocean... Sometimes both.

Work in the shop (time slips away out there)
Hop on the tractor
Do some "mechanicing" (put a rear end in the lazyboy)

Usually hang out at the shop for a few hours with my co-workers and best friends building cool shit, with a golden key to the palace, drinking ice-cold beer and jamming out some kickass music. Planning weekend trips and reminiscing about trips past. If nothing else I'll head home, do some yard work and take an afternoon cruise in the Jeep for some V8 hypnotic til it gets dark, then head home and grill some food.

"After a hard ass day at work"- My work is mentally draining. I spin saucers on sticks all day thru a computer and phone: Chilling in the den with my bride (my best friend) with a heavy glass of bourbon. If an exceptionally shitty day, GOOD bourbon
"After a hard ass day of working hard"- Building/grading/mowing or other physical work: Nothing beats a coupla dog beers in a chair at the top of the hill in the shade listening to the frogs and birds and surveying the view that will one day be daily for me:

side note: Last kid graduated HS and has started her "summer tour" of beach, snowbird, disney with her mother, yadda yadda until ASU in the fall so technically I'm an "empty nester" and I've actually GOT time to relax

Last edited:
I have three ways. Go shoot, go tinker in the shop, or take my sax out in the woods somewhere and just let loose some improv. Now, I find that holding my son when he is happy is better than all of those combined.

take my sax out in the woods somewhere and just let loose some improv.
See you're smart, you take your sax in the woods. I did it once in Walmart and was jailed for indecent exposure

See you're smart, you take your sax in the woods. I did it once in Walmart and was jailed for indecent exposure

Used to do it (among other things) in a tree when I was at NC A&T, then somebody called the cops one night while I was up there and said I looked like a school sniper.... I hate people.

Alcohol doesn't do anything for me to help me relax, i'm different then most in that regards though it seems.

Going to the garage to tinker with something is normally my go to, or when I'm not being lazy go ride the mountain bike

Last edited:
1- tinker in the shop. I always have a few diffs to rebuild/regear. That really gets my mind off whatever
2- go for a long mountain bike ride on a technical trail. Makes you focus on something else other than work.
3- sit on the front porch looking at the woods with my malamute, Jasper. Instant calming effect.

I usually grab a beer or a rum and coke. grab a knife, go outside and sit and just flick it open a couple hundred times and grab my speaker and listen to some tunes. Usually some Greta Van Fleet, Eagles, Luke Combs, Sublime, or RHCP is usually always on my playlist. Here lately I have been going outside and listening to some Red Red Wine and wishing I was at the beach or on an island somewhere.

I also have been enjoying mowing after work now that I have a riding mower and cooking.

I really wish I had some land to go shoot at on any given day. I'd love to get off work, head home, grab my gear, drive out to the range, set up some steel and go to town.

Last edited:
Going to the gym. Every day, after work I head to the gym for a hour or two(depending on the day). Then its home, cook dinner, spend time with the wife until she goes to bed around 10pm. Ill be up for a couple more hours, usually playing on the computer or tinkering on the Willys in the garage.

Back