Burrellsjeep Project: Eugene

What do you guys think of this layout?

I am looking for opinions on how the geometry looks.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_LinkLayout.jpg_feaae4af3781db992523e63230987175.jpg

Progress

Made some progress today, even though my drill burned up (I have had it for a while). Ran out of wire on the welder so called it quits.

I did mange to get some work done.

The sleeves for the frame on the drive side drilled
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_001_9.jpg_a78e81cb73e8db54d9aab300cbbd16ce.jpg

and welded in.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_003_10.jpg_82f6c1e4ca060687a37b0822c0ac55fa.jpg

I got most of the drive side bracket together

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_007_6.jpg_605026693873f2dc6beb5fade58294bf.jpg
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_014_1.jpg_65e8bb044db5c73543e9ccfc63f62658.jpg
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_018_1.jpg_8ea164c89b055f1148247a6c8ed06d43.jpg

I still need to cut down the lower links mounts and weld the to the lower side of the bracket.

I am going to shorten the link hangers this much to allow me to mount the closer to the skid
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_011_5.jpg_247d145b5f9993d6eff6bbc0922db1f7.jpg

Getting the driver side mocked up allowed me to get my lowers and upper measurements. I hope to make the links this week.

I planning on doing the Toys For Tots run in Mt City 8/08/09 which is my B-day weekend, So I gotta get it rolling by then.

hey man if ya ever need some help give me about a day heads up. i come help ya out. i can weld pretty good and all that stuff, plus i would like to see how it all comes together.

hey man if ya ever need some help give me about a day heads up. i come help ya out. i can weld pretty good and all that stuff, plus i would like to see how it all comes together.

Thanks,

I will when I go to finish the pass side, I need all the help I can get with the welding. Not this weekend coming up, but probably the weekend after.

I weld like crap. I fell that there strong, It just there not pretty yet.

I've always been told that for the front you want a pretty flat roll axis. And I always go for a higher roll center as well but in the front, steering can take precedence over a lot of things. Having a good bit of caster will take care of most poor suspension problems on the road.
How tight are the link mounts to the frame?

why does the bracket bolt on to the frame instead of welding it on? sorry if i missed it earlier in the thread

why does the bracket bolt on to the frame instead of welding it on? sorry if i missed it earlier in the thread

Its really do to my skill level with a welder, If I Build the brackets off the jeep, I can take them and have them welded properly.

Also I wanted to be able to still wheel the jeep while I was working on it. If I have torn in to it enough to get the welder under it, It would be sitting for a while.

Plus I can always re work the brackets later if I need to, and not have to take a girder to it.

Well I spent the weekend riding the trains in western NC. So I didn't get any thing done on the jeep.

I did pick up my Lower arms and my Upper Material on Friday. My buddy Justin taped on end of the lowers and cut the other to length for me. Now I have the to notch the other end to accept the Ballistic Joint.

So I have heard the best way to notch it (With out a Notcher) is to use a grinder and nip away at it. Any Advice or Suggestions????

Notching 1.75 to accept 2.63

I need to get that done, then finish the pass bracket. Then finale weld it.

Its really do to my skill level with a welder, If I Build the brackets off the jeep, I can take them and have them welded properly.
Also I wanted to be able to still wheel the jeep while I was working on it. If I have torn in to it enough to get the welder under it, It would be sitting for a while.
Plus I can always re work the brackets later if I need to, and not have to take a girder to it.

gotcha.... its good you know your limits with the welder, there are tons of people who are not qualified to weld suspension parts on but think they can.

I have read Billivistas write ups there very good.

Thanks for the link to the software, I will see if I can get it to work.

gotcha.... its good you know your limits with the welder, there are tons of people who are not qualified to weld suspension parts on but think they can.

Yeah I am working on getting better, but suspension parts are not where I am going to learn. I will weld on a bumper or fender. Plus my welder isn't big enough to do the suspension any ways.

Back