Chainsaws

I went and bought a chainsaw this evening. Has nothing to do with the hurricane. I just wanted another MS261 and it was a good deal. But I'll sell it for $1000 this weekend if anybody wants to pay that :lol:

Sounds like how I ended up with a brand new Echo CS490 yesterday :lol: we will start the bidding at $650

Heck, I'll sell you a collection of real chainsaws from 94 prior for $2000. Enough to start a tree service. From little one hander to big.. actually if you're a member here. I'll make it $1750 for all. You could double that on eBay anytime and not run a single one.

Saw a unicorn today!

That’s a 6’ bar on a 880 Stihl, that’s over 100cc saw!

Attachments

• 1CB153A2-41B9-4B6E-8AF5-E6C7C90B4085.jpeg
    1CB153A2-41B9-4B6E-8AF5-E6C7C90B4085.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 275
Was that the speed carving guy from Maggie Valley? I saw him at the Cabarrus County fair a few weeks ago and bought two pieces he carved.

That’s him!! It was at the Dixie Classic Fair in Winston today

Ran this Husqvarna 18” pretty hard this past week after the storm. I was trying to kill it so I could justify buying a bigger Stihl but it was hanging in there.

Realllly want a 24” Stihl so I can make my own ghetto mill.

8cd266eae884f1bbe2dca07ae3e4e349.jpg

0634344f3cdc9d8d7a161724f4b9b1bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMG_5581.JPG
Snagged this pile off fb marketplace for 200$. Pretty certain it's a 064 with an aftermarket big bore kit. Ordered a Chinese replacement fuel tank, as the oem one was epoxied and leaking. Came with 3 chains, 25" es bar and full wrap handlebar. I'll throw another chainbrake on it once I get it back together and tuned.

Ok so I’m researching saws. I have a Husquvarna 440 with a 20” bar. It’s broke on me once already. I want a 30” saw for the big ass pine so I can cut it in one pass. I also have 6 more of those big ass pines to drop. The Husky just don’t cut it. Like at Stihl and Echo. What models should I be looking at?

If you're buying new, Stihl 500i. If used id go with an 046/MS460 or MS461 or MS462 if you can find them at a decent price. I have an early 90s 046 Magnum and it wears a 20" or 25" bar at all times and is my go to for everything unless its bound up and I need another saw to cut it out. If you only need to cut one 30" tree, it will do it happily, and still be nice to have around for normal use with a 25" bar.

There are a lot of other options in that size range also. Husky 372 or 576, Dolmar/Makita 7900, etc. In my opinion they are the perfect one saw plan because they have enough power to run a big bar but are still light and compact enough to use for hours.

Last edited:
Ok so I’m researching saws. I have a Husquvarna 440 with a 20” bar. It’s broke on me once already. I want a 30” saw for the big ass pine so I can cut it in one pass. I also have 6 more of those big ass pines to drop. The Husky just don’t cut it. Like at Stihl and Echo. What models should I be looking at?
Go check out Wateree Trailers. It’s on HWY 1 between Lugoff and Elgin just past the big park in the right. He’s a stihl dealer. That’s where I bought my MS311, weed eater, and blower. He’s done me solid on all of it. He’s got a pretty good selection of chainsaws from mild to wild last time I was in there.

If you're buying new, Stihl 500i. If used id go with an 046/MS460 or MS461 or MS462 if you can find them at a decent price. I have an early 90s 046 Magnum and it wears a 20" or 25" bar at all times and is my go to for everything unless its bound up and I need another saw to cut it out. If you only need to cut one 30" tree, it will do it happily, and still be nice to have around for normal use with a 25" bar.

There are a lot of other options in that size range also. Husky 372 or 576, Dolmar/Makita 7900, etc. In my opinion they are the perfect one saw plan because they have enough power to run a big bar but are still light and compact enough to use for hours.
Thanks. That 500i is cool but pricey on line. Still less dollars then what I was quoted to drop these pines... The MS462 caught my eye but I read on the stihl site 28" was the max bar recommended.

Go check out Wateree Trailers. It’s on HWY 1 between Lugoff and Elgin just past the big park in the right. He’s a stihl dealer. That’s where I bought my MS311, weed eater, and blower. He’s done me solid on all of it. He’s got a pretty good selection of chainsaws from mild to wild last time I was in there.

I will defiantly go check them out. Thanks.

Last edited:
A stihl 461 will handle a 30” bar but not permanently in my opinion, oiler would need to be upgraded. My 461 runs a 24” bar all the time and it is perfect. Now if you could find a 660 (or older 066) you would be able to run a 30” bar all the time no problem

I scored a 394xp a few months ago on the facespace market. It would handle all your needs too. My wife keeps that look on her face
512f8136415408766969323322ec813f.jpg

Yea right

@josh m Even though I don't like the feel of Huskys, I'll give you tree fiddy for that 394XP. :D

I run a 32" bar on my 462 sometimes when cutting down big stumps. It will pull a regular chain but it pulls a skip tooth better. Right now it's got the 25" bar on it with a carbide tipped chain. It doesn't cut as fast as a sharp regular chain but it stays sharp a lot longer.

I scored a 394xp a few months ago on the facespace market. It would handle all your needs too. My wife keeps that look on her face
512f8136415408766969323322ec813f.jpg

Yea right

Damn, I’d probably cut down the next tree over as well if I used that thing.....

db88abce1023587213225880cc32c5e0.jpg

Next up is this 3120xp project. Giggity giggity. Whatcha planning to do with the trees when they are down?

Me? Cut up and burn. About half way done with the first one now.

Me? Cut up and burn. About half way done with the first one now.

Ah.
I’m seriously considering buying a bandsaw mill. I think I’d never have to buy lumber again by just harvesting culls and dead timber off my property.
I’m considering a Norwood lm29v2 all manual mill vs used woodmizer LT40hd that’s got a lot of bells.

Ah.
I’m seriously considering buying a bandsaw mill. I think I’d never have to buy lumber again by just harvesting culls and dead timber off my property.
I’m considering a Norwood lm29v2 all manual mill vs used woodmizer LT40hd that’s got a lot of bells.

Folks on the interwebs have had fair luck with the harbor freight sawmills after a little modifying.

Someone could buy this smokin' deal. $700 off!!!

(Thats a $600 saw brand new from the Stihl dealer all day long :shaking:)

Back