Chevy Cummins Swap

Dynamat'd the firewall trying to keep the noise down plan is to dynomat whole interior and hood. W/ 4inch exhuast it sucked on road trips. trying to get that quiet new car feeling.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 003.jpg
    Cummins Swap 003.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 953
Drilled tranny to except dodge bellhousing and wne to switch output shafts but bearing retainer is also different have to order one of those in the morning. heres the difference btwn a Gm input and dodge input

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 002.jpg
    Cummins Swap 002.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 849
got half of the tranny tunnel done and fixed firewall dropped mottor in. still much much more to do but its getting there.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 001.jpg
    Cummins Swap 001.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,148
Planning on running the 60/12 hybrid turbo by swapping on the compressor wheel and housing, would like to rebuild turbo while im at it, anyone have any comments on rebuilding one w/out a balancer, i checked the specs on the turbo and its on the limit for lateral play.

Attachments

• motor mounts 001.jpg
    motor mounts 001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 893
Planning on running the 60/12 hybrid turbo by swapping on the compressor wheel and housing, would like to rebuild turbo while im at it, anyone have any comments on rebuilding one w/out a balancer, i checked the specs on the turbo and its on the limit for lateral play.

Just take it to turbo exchange in Concord. They did mine quick turn around & excellent service. 10,000 miles later not a problem. They also do all the turbo services on the public transportation buses in concord. If you want it to last you really need it to be balanced.

Talk to JT. He recently rebuilt the turbo on his black Dodge. Did it himself.

Really nice build. I'm interested in hearing your take on the SB clutch once you've got it on the road. :beer:

not quite.......... interior is gutted and dynomatted, tranny tunnel is done, tranny is in, its wired, however...............

My chevy tranny theroretically won't work w/ a dodge input shaft you have to have a HD version I guess. I could have torn tranny down bored case re-drilled and re-tapped the case, or get a new case swap internals over. My solution was cutting the noses off of the two input bearing retainers, opening up chevy one to allow the dodge shaft to slide through and tigged the dodge nose to the chevy input bearing retainer. Kinda long description ill post some pics when I can.

My other problem is its wired but I wasn't sure about the tach and was leaving it until the end, I did notice on the chevy wiring diagram that it appeared the tach signal was coming from the altenator but I brushed it off, the chevy had a crank sensor so does the dodge, unfortunatly Chevy 6.5 uses the altenator to run the tach, Dodge uses a 8v hallffect sensor and runs it through the computer ECU interpoates and sends it to tach which means im going to have to build a bracket to run the chevy alt. or run an aftermarket tach, and i don't want to run an aftermarket tach. the other solution, which may or may not work is taking a dodge tach out of an instrument cluter and opening up chevy cluster and installing it. But have no idea if this possible and I sold the truck so I need an instrument cluster to try this if anyone has one, this is the solution I want to try first.

I went to start it a week or so ago and my batteries would not budge the motor, so i got some new ones and the Cutoff soleniod is bad, half way expected, but then the lift pump is also bad. I mean really the best thing about this motor mechanical lift pump that rarely fails failed.

So ill post some more pics but need a lift pump, shutoff soleniod, and more time.

As for the wiring Everything is wired in Wait to start light, fuel filter maintence light, check engine light, speedo, coolant, oil presure, Cruise control factory dodge spliced into the chevy using the dodge vacumm pump.

Would it be possible to put the GM internals into the dodge case on the alt.?

Chase you should really have the guys at turbo exchange freshin up you turbo, they are the only ones I'd send work to. They built one of my turbos for my 4runner and I've takin customers stuff up there before with zero problems. 704.721.6661

Ya I had a customers dump truck this week w/ a bad turbo I sent it to turbo exchand Mon. night a 6pm via the brown truck they called me tues. at luch sad it was ready. and had it wed. morning via the brown truck. I highly recomend them. I assume they just gave me back a core they had built already but still that is great servicee.

I asked them about mine and they said they won't do the hybrid stuff anymore to much machine work, although HTech turbo says it takes no machine work im probably goint send it to htech they will rebuild it and install the wheel and housing for a reasonable price.

We fired it up thursday night sounded good did not run it long as i haven't installed radiator, exhuast needs some flex pipe, where does one get big flex pipe so i can take it to exhuast shop.

Interior is back together mostly, tranny crossmember is done, driveshaft shortened 5 inches and installed, all thats left is installing rad, intercooler and front clip, to make it driveable, were going to cut a christmas tree in the mountains in a week or so so i want it driveable by then. after that i am going to work on the brackets to run the chevy alt, and A/C compressor.

as for clutch set-up it was fairly easy i just bought a dodge slave cylinder and attached to chevy master cylinder and line, i could have modded the chevy one but since i did not know the throw of the dodge rod although probably could have figured it out i just bought one. I could have just bought the dodge slave to measure the rod and cut the chevy rod down to its length but was easier to just throw the dodge slave on.

I'm thinking Agri-Supply or Tractor Supply for big flex pipe to use...not sure what other places might be closer to your shop.

maybe Fleetpride, Miller Truck Equip or Cooper KW...?

:beer:

Turbo exchange built my HY35, 20g and soon my HX52. Awesome people, great work and unbeatable pricing. I love this build. Every chevy should have the option of a cummins from the factory!

Jon got the exhuast hooked up we had a piece of 3 inch bent and tied it into the downpipe made a flange and hooked to my current 4inch.

rad, intercooler, with tubes hoses ect, all stock length except lower rad hose had to be shorten about 2.5 inches to clear inner fender. hood catch is mounted, wiring is cleaned up and tucked away neatly, figured out air filter, marine battery terminals were added put in some 850 CCA batteries had to turn driverside battery to clear rad outlet. remounted windshield wiper bottle, mounted computer.

pryro needs to be rewired, boost guage installed, hood install add fluids, put some dash pieces back together. its so close to maiden voyage.

ill get some pics up as soon as i can get back to it.

now that the hood catch is in, i don't think im going to be able to fit the chevy condensor. the best thing would be a split condensor w/ tubes in the middle that could clear the hood catch support bracketry.

Oh my sweet little baby jesus this thing is awesome.
I giggle when i drive it. there are some odds and ends to do the new grill from the work truck package i used needs a new one and airfilter box needs to be built, chevy A/C and alt need to be fabbed on but this thing is night and day different than the chevy, when you hit 3rd gear its see ya later time.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 006.jpg
    Cummins Swap 006.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 719
Back