Daniel is tough now...

ProjekTJ

Took a quick day trip this afternoon. Rode Slab Pile to Rocky Mtn. Loop thru Kodak and then took the access roads to the head of Daniel. It's gotten' tough with all the recent traffic its seen. I got denied at the climb right after the 90* right turn. :(
That is going to be a very congested area now during high traffic times. It's not stock/moderate friendly anymore. But hey, I do suck at driving so it could have just been me.

Ok, Daniel is tough now...(talk amongst yourselves). :)

*I posted this because I knew I'd be bored at work on Monday and would need something to occupy myself with. Humor me.

ProjekTJ said:
Ok, Daniel is tough now...(talk amongst yourselves). :)

the only thing tough about it is testing my patience as people try over and over and over and over to make it when they ought to just get out a strap or pull cable so the rest of us can ride... :D

Greg

ProjekTJ said:
damn, my bad....I'll go back to my room now. :(

I thought you were gonna wait and read these Monday morning?

I haven't been since 4/1...so I'm sure it's worse than it was, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

I'm heading back this Saturday, so we'll see...

although Iroks and ARB's are a pretty good combo for Uwharrie... ;)

but as a general rule, people do need to learn how to be "trail friendly" and get out of the way...

Greg

people try over and over and over and over to make it

That's what make's it fun! :driver:

choochoo said:
That's what make's it fun! :driver:

this your TJ on propane?

IMG_4131.sized.jpg

IMG_4107.sized.jpg

If so, I took those pics of you at Tellico...the first was when you had swapped tanks and it wouldn't start back up...(I was in the red NCSU toboggan)...

there's a couple pics of you and the other guys you were with here: Tellico, March 3-6

pages 3 has quite a few...and the one posted above is on page 4...

Greg

Yes that my tured, it turned out to be a wire shorting out that was the problem, not the propane.

CasterTroy said:
Last fall a defender 90 had to be towed up the bypass :D

And this surprises you how? They think the "center locking differential" means they have lockers... :rolleyes:

FWIW, 4/1 ("opening day") and subsequently the weekend, that spot wasn't bad. I personally witnessed a bone stock (open @ both ends) 4banger TJ on 31" bias Swampers cruise it. However, after the Zuwharrie/LR weekends and insuing monsoon rains...

I've heard it's freakin RUDE! Last report was from the other RQ (as in *not* Rich) yesterday saying the "ledge" was now about 6'-7' tall & rutted to @#$%! Had to pull cable even though it was dry. KC called last weekend when the right side chewed up both his pass. side beadlock rings... he also said 7' tall (incase you missed it... that was 7 FEET tall)...

Both said other than the ocassional hybrid/buggy on 38.5"-44" meats that was able to pull it... everyone else had a date with the "cable guy" coming! So before the onslaught of "must be newbs", "they can't drive" & "they need lockers" start... both have very capable LOCKED/LOADED rigs & have been wheeling as long as anyone here... :flipoff2:

:beer:

Where are you talking about? 7' ledge wtf... definately need more info on location

I was just there on sunday. I got caught behind about 6 well built tjs, a k5 and a commando and not one made it up w/o pulling the cable. The little switch back was rutted out and wet. It wasnt half that bad from when I was there last weekend. I made it up twice. Some guy started heckling me on so I had to back back down it and romp on it ;)

StudNuts said:
I was just there on sunday. I got caught behind about 6 well built tjs, a k5 and a commando and not one made it up w/o pulling the cable. The little switch back was rutted out and wet. It wasnt half that bad from when I was there last weekend. I made it up twice. Some guy started heckling me on so I had to back back down it and romp on it ;)

PICS??

Dutch John isn't too bad, it's just rutted on the hill climb. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check out Daniel. I did run both of them on opening day (4/1) and I can definitely see the difference on Dutch John after just 2 weeks.

A couple of people from the Land Rover Safari group that I was wheeling with took some pictures of me making the climb, but I probably won't get a hold of them until wednesday. On Rocky Mtn Loop, what was the "bypass" on the far left side going up is very hairy now too. You actually get a little tipsy coming down. Fun stuff. Hopefully I'll have some pics sent to me soon.

Caver Dave said:
FWIW, 4/1 ("opening day") and subsequently the weekend, that spot wasn't bad. I personally witnessed a bone stock (open @ both ends) 4banger TJ on 31" bias Swampers cruise it. However, after the Zuwharrie/LR weekends and insuing monsoon rains...

I've heard it's freakin RUDE! Last report was from the other RQ (as in *not* Rich) yesterday saying the "ledge" was now about 6'-7' tall & rutted to @#$%! Had to pull cable even though it was dry. KC called last weekend when the right side chewed up both his pass. side beadlock rings... he also said 7' tall (incase you missed it... that was 7 FEET tall)...

Both said other than the ocassional hybrid/buggy on 38.5"-44" meats that was able to pull it... everyone else had a date with the "cable guy" coming! So before the onslaught of "must be newbs", "they can't drive" & "they need lockers" start... both have very capable LOCKED/LOADED rigs & have been wheeling as long as anyone here... :flipoff2:

:beer:

Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said it was tough. I figure about 6-7 ft. is right for the ledge. There is a hole on the left side of the line leading to the ledge. The furthest I made it up was on the left and then I started tipping/seesawing and traction broke. I'm locked front & rear w/ 33's. It's now my reasoning behind new mods. I don't want to not be able to go anywhere and everywhere at Uwharrie, but I would and do enjoy seeing it become a little more challenging. My walk of shame down Daniel Sunday is now my motivation for modification.

im still trying to figure out what trail yall are talking about. its gone from daniel to dutch john to rocky mountain and back again. oh well, we'll see this weekend.

Duane

I've been talking about the ledge right after the 90* turn not to far into Daniel. The previous pic shows it.

ProjekTJ said:
I've been talking about the ledge right after the 90* turn not to far into Daniel. The previous pic shows it.

I snapped these two on opening day (4/1/05)...

I'm now assuming (cause I was thinking somewhere completely different) that this is the exact ledge that is now 6'-7' tall?

IMG_4264.sized.jpg

IMG_4265.sized.jpg

Greg

Back